I'm looking into get a *really* nice guitar. I want to get rid of the clutter (Ibanez SA160, Epiphone Very cheap-paul etc) and replace them with an Ibanez JS model.
Now as we all know, a guitar is an expensive purchase. One which we must contemplate and ponder for weeks and months so we like to get facts and opinions.
What I would like to ask is:

- Trem-wise, is it easy to use? I have an RG350MDX which is a real bitch to change strings on. So are higher end Ibanez trems easier to use generally?

(This http://www.mveducation.com/assets/products/38285_l.jpg )

- For playability, I find the above mentioned guitar limits my playing speed, especially when compared with my PRS SE Singlecut. In regards to the higher end Ibanez models, I'm imagining equal or greater playability of the PRS combined with a decent locking trem. Would I be correct?

The reason for my asking is I feel that these low-mid range guitars are beginning to hinder my progression as a player, so any help is hugely appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
well ur paying lots of $$$$$ for the JS sig, if its the one with the silver surfer on it then the trem is absolute crap, if its the normal one then the trem is amazing, but imo if ur paying 1250 bucks for a guitar, then it better have an ebony fretboard and neck through, for its price u can score a better deal, look at jacksons or esps such as this ones

http://espguitars.com/guitars_horizon.html

http://jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=Soloist-Body&page=1&product=2803072815

http://jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=Dinky-Body&page=1&product=2911003803
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
If you're getting the JS sig, I'd actually recommend just getting an S Series, you get the ZR trem, which is one of the best available, I've changed my strings on it once, it took no more than 10 minutes.
So high-end Ibanez trems are definately recommended then?

Also, I must add that I'm not simply looking to play fast in a metal way. There has to be a decent tone as well. Which you would bloody well hope for after that much money right?

I'm not sure what it is about my RG, the strings just seem to slack to give any real speed, especially legato. Would anyone disagree with that about the high-end ones?
Quote by piop
So high-end Ibanez trems are definately recommended then?

Also, I must add that I'm not simply looking to play fast in a metal way. There has to be a decent tone as well. Which you would bloody well hope for after that much money right?

I'm not sure what it is about my RG, the strings just seem to slack to give any real speed, especially legato. Would anyone disagree with that about the high-end ones?

The higher end models made in japan are ages ahead in construction, stability , and overall quality than the lower end ones. I would sooner sell my first born son that sell any of my MIJ ibanez
in comparison into how i see trems

OFR=7.8/10
ZR trem=great. 8/10 rating in terms of trem
Edge Zero=10/10
Edge Pro =9/10

I found the higher end ibanez trems to be wonderful. You still keep alot of sustain with the edge pro and zero models as opposed to some guitars with ofrs.

That being said the Js1000/1200 are expensive for what they are. i''d much rather a prestige rg or s at that price. Check ebay if you are dead set on a js though
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Depends on what model. There's the JS1200, The JS1000, and my favorite, the JS100.

The newers 100's have an EDGE III, but if you buy a used one, you might be able to find one with a Ibanez LO-TRS trem, like mine. The 1200 and 1000 both have Dimarzio pups, but the 100 has the Ibanez Axis 1&2 pickups.

If you get one with the Lo-TRS trem, the strings are pretty easy to change
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Quote by Angus_Junior35
Depends on what model. There's the JS1200, The JS1000, and my favorite, the JS100.

The newers 100's have an EDGE III, but if you buy a used one, you might be able to find one with a Ibanez LO-TRS trem, like mine. The 1200 and 1000 both have Dimarzio pups, but the 100 has the Ibanez Axis 1&2 pickups.

If you get one with the Lo-TRS trem, the strings are pretty easy to change

except that the Lo-TRS trem are almost as bad as the edge III, and chances are if you buy a guitar second hand that has one, the alloy is already wearing away...

http://lawl.net/gtr/trems a good page that tells you about the trems ibanez has used
Last edited by mexican_shred at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by mexican_shred
except that the Lo-TRS trem are almost as bad as the edge III, and chances are if you buy a guitar second hand that has one, the alloy is already wearing away...

http://lawl.net/gtr/trems a good page that tells you about the trems ibanez has used

I swear, pifty wrote a masterpiece that has been serving the forums for ages when he made that.

If you are dead set on a JS, definitely look used. There's a JS1200 for 800 thats been floating around my local CL forever.
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
I played a JS Ibanez and I wasn't too impressed by it. It wasn't bad but it wasn't anything special IMO. It was the lightest guitar I've ever played in my life though.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by Metlhead443
I swear, pifty wrote a masterpiece that has been serving the forums for ages when he made that.

If you are dead set on a JS, definitely look used. There's a JS1200 for 800 thats been floating around my local CL forever.

its a time saver. instead of me or others having to type up a super long detailed post about about the trems, the link says it.
The problem with the JS Sig is that it is really one of the ones you are paying more the money for than anything else. Id look for Jacksons in the same price range, TBH.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
Any high end ibanez and ESP are awesome- but the higher end jacksons are out of this world. Try a soloist and see what you think
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
joe mainly favours the js1000 but for chickenfoot is using a 12000

i love my 1200, the edge pro trem is very stable and your not going to have many probs with it other than minor adjustments the small radius neck is very ergonomical and the prestige treatment is normally good (i have found only 1 js1000 with a sticky neck- but that was a factory defect)

worth £1300 anyway.
Quote by Richmanofaction
Any high end ibanez and ESP are awesome- but the higher end jacksons are out of this world. Try a soloist and see what you think

I tried a high(er) end Kelly, Warrior, Rhoads and Dinky and the only one I marginally liked was the rhoads. The rest felt worse than Ibby's that costed half
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
wait for the 24 fret Satch model.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
It certainly seems that these guitars are highly regarded then. I guess some peoples' concerns are if it's *quite* worth what many are being sold for. The only thing about the Jacksons is that they LOOK like a typical metal guitar and of course aesthetics aren't my main concern, but do they SOUND like it too? Or are they actually more versatile than that?

My local sells Js1000s for roughly £1500 which seems a bit steep. Thanks for the advice about going second-hand too. Hopefully at such a high retail price I'll be able to find one in very good condition.

@Mexican_shred - Imagine my surprise when I looked at your sig and saw Frost* and It Bites.
Quote by piop
It certainly seems that these guitars are highly regarded then. I guess some peoples' concerns are if it's *quite* worth what many are being sold for. The only thing about the Jacksons is that they LOOK like a typical metal guitar and of course aesthetics aren't my main concern, but do they SOUND like it too? Or are they actually more versatile than that?

My local sells Js1000s for roughly £1500 which seems a bit steep. Thanks for the advice about going second-hand too. Hopefully at such a high retail price I'll be able to find one in very good condition.

@Mexican_shred - Imagine my surprise when I looked at your sig and saw Frost* and It Bites.

Just scour used sites, aucton sites, pawn shops. 1500 gbp are a bit steep but if its the guitar you really like then go for it. Jacksons are versitile guitars. The problem for me compared to the prestige ibanez are sticky feeling necks and OFR compared to edge pro/edge.

And hell ya. i love john mitchell's work. I need to add Kino there. I bought tall ships this summer and its easily the best cd i've bought this summer