ive been playing for 2 years now, almost everyday. I am so frustrated that I can't put a whole song together. I can play some solos - can improvise a little bit - only in pentatonic scales. Im good with chords but my barre chord skills are lacking. Where do you learn how to pick up strumming techniques? How do i learn to play metal? Why cant i play sweet clapton solos ( I get the tabs then play them but they sound nothing like clapton) Sometimes i sit down to play and i feel like I just started or im like a kid picking up a guitar and just banging away
you've reached a point where you aren't learning in leaps and bounds like most beginners. this is normal. the most important thing to remember is to never give up, everyone has different learning speeds.

id say your best move right now is to keep regular practice, maybe try joining a band to get practice with other people, experiment. maybe learn some basic theory to help you along with composition, soloing, etc.

whenever im low on inspiration for songs, i listen to pandora radio. pick a band style your after and let it play, you'll be suprised the range it gives you.

EDIT: I feel like tom hess, only less annoying and cheap
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
What does a typical day of practice for you look like? How much time? How do spend your time? When you are learning songs, how do you go about doing it? Do you break it into smaller pieces? Are you choosing songs within your reach? How much time do you give it before you quit? How do you practice improvistion? Do you use backing tracks, record your own, etc? Just trying to get an idea of what you are doing now to see if you can make it more efficient.
Quote by canyoubendthem
ive been playing for 2 years now, almost everyday. I am so frustrated that I can't put a whole song together. I can play some solos - can improvise a little bit - only in pentatonic scales. Im good with chords but my barre chord skills are lacking. Where do you learn how to pick up strumming techniques? How do i learn to play metal? Why cant i play sweet clapton solos ( I get the tabs then play them but they sound nothing like clapton) Sometimes i sit down to play and i feel like I just started or im like a kid picking up a guitar and just banging away

regarding your attempts at Clapton solos...

try listening to the original
try playing along with the original and matching the feel/style
trying enjoying that whole process
try not being overly critical

It takes time. Be patient..... Have fun with it.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
regarding your attempts at Clapton solos...

try listening to the original
try playing along with the original and matching the feel/style
trying enjoying that whole process
try not being overly critical

It takes time. Be patient..... Have fun with it.

^^ All of that.

I remember not long after I'd started playing (after saying something similar about not sounding like the guitarists whose songs I was playing) someone told me that - apart from the fact that I was using very poor equipment and people like Clapton are playing high-end guitars through high-end amps - most of your tone comes from your fingers.

I didn't believe them when they told me that, but I do now. Clapton is playing the same notes as you, but he's playing them better in a thousand tiny ways that you just can't master after only 2 years of practice. Every single note of his solo is probably extremely clean/clear, his vibrato will be better, his bends more accurate, he'll have no sloppy noise in between note changes etc.

You'll get there - you just need to be patient.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Last edited by Damascus at Aug 11, 2009,
well or clapton solos, dont try and learn by ear and dynamics. dont bother with just tab as your only guide. play with passion, dont play for a goal, play for yourself.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
/agree with all the above.
i been there to, i got put on the spot to play a song from my friends and i realized i didnt know one full song just loads of random riffs. so i sat down and the first song i learned was blackbird and i played it note for note. and then realized thats dumb i didnt add anything to the song just the same verson as the beatles and theyre version is always gonna be better. so, now i listen to songs and i dont go for making it the same i just play it how i want to play it. take the idea of the song and run with it. somewhere i heard it called "cocomposing". thats the best way to do a cover imo.\
and ditch the tabs probably, ive been there i was a tab junkie but if you wanna progress ure gonna have to let em go