I was thinking about buying a Vox AC15. I play mainly classic rock, such as Led Zeppelin, Queen, AC/DC, etc. I know it gets a good Queen sound. But I was wondering, can it get a good, distorted, Zeppelin-style sound (without pedals)? Now, I haven't tried one out yet, as my local music store doesn't sell them. But when I visit my relatives I will get to.

So, can a Vox AC15 get a good Zeppelin style sound without pedals?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
My AC15 Does have enough gain for Zeppelin (rhythym Guitar) But when playing lead you might want a pedal.
You may want to boost it. And hey, Zappalin (lol?) is a very broad term. If your talking a tone like on Black Dog, you may need a boost. Hit up the store and try various overdrives with the tube amp you are going to buy. This is what I will do when I get either a Vox AC15 or a Crate V-series
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
lol, Jimmy used Voxs, Oranges, Marshalls, and countless others with Zeppelin. I find that there sound (and consequently Page's tone) evolved and changed throughout their entire career. The AC15 would probably do early Zeppelin quite nicely, though.

EDIT: Brian May used AC30s, right? I think he combined them with a boost as well for that creamy sustain filled lead tone.
Last edited by BeethovensBust at Aug 11, 2009,
Speaking of Zappalin, Frank Zappa's version of Stairway to Heaven is absolutely hilarious, if not only because it pisses off hardcore zepp fans.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.