Do you think it is bad to record one of your own songs which lasts over 7 minutes? I recorded a track of mine at 115 BPM, and in total it is about 9 minutes long. I could up it to 120 which would cut the time on the song. I was thinking that because it is so long, no one would bother to listen to it? What are your thoughts on this? Is it something to avoid unless the song is truly epic? Thanks.
um, just to throw this out there, some amazing songs have been really long. sure, you may get less mainstream pop success, but who needs that anyway, eh?
i say go for it, record it. id listen to it.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Quote by entity0009
Animal Cracker

I'm pretty sure it's a type of noodle.
Quote by GirlGerms
No it has vocals too. I think it is the speed which makes it so long.

dude screw shortening your song, if you like the way it feels keep it. i have a 10 some odd minute song in my profile, yes it needs some cleaning up but with all the clean ups it will still prob be low 10 min and high 9's. Opeth is one of my favorite bands and a lot of their songs are around 10 mins. i also like a 17 minute song by glass hammer (really nice unkown prog rock band) if you have good melodies and riffs then just have the song be 10 mins. the past few songs ive written have been only like 5 minutes long, im gonna try to write another 10 min "epic".
keep it how it is, nothing wrong with a song being 7 minutes long unless there is a obviously extraneous stuff padding it out (like that one Doors song)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
keep it how it is, nothing wrong with a song being 7 minutes long unless there is a obviously extraneous stuff padding it out (like that one Doors song)

what doors song is that? the only time i got bored of a really long song is the meshuggah song "in life - is death" the last like 6 minutes is just random padsynth, only downside of catch 33 imo. the beggining of that song is just so sick.
Quote by MetalBass 77
what doors song is that? the only time i got bored of a really long song is the meshuggah song "in life - is death" the last like 6 minutes is just random padsynth, only downside of catch 33 imo. the beggining of that song is just so sick.

I think it's Light My Fire, where it's like just a normal rock song that all of the sudden devolves into this super long wank session. (yes it's light my fire, and just the album version is like that, the single version has all of the wankery excised.)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I think it's Light My Fire, where it's like just a normal rock song that all of the sudden devolves into this super long wank session. (yes it's light my fire, and just the album version is like that, the single version has all of the wankery excised.)

ahh, i dont listen to much doors but when their on i enjoy a good listen. thing i find funny is that they actually have some pretty monster bass lines, although its just a session man and the organ player played the bass parts live, they're still some good lines.
I agree with most of the people in here. If it feels right to you at 9 minutes long, then go with it. If people won't listen to it simply because it's too long, that's their loss. If a song is meant to be short, great. If a song is meant to be long, great. Do what you like.

And for the record, I have a piece of music that is 20 minutes long, and I wouldn't cut a single thing from it. And I have several others that are 10-15 minutes. And I also have some that are 1-3 minutes. Just do whatever feels right.
record in in 2 parts
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
As long as you have ideas that are good enough to warrant 7+ minutes then go for it. Some of my all-time favorite songs are really long (Keeper of the Seven Keys, plenty of Maiden songs, The End by The Doors etc.)