I have a question about tube amps, I'm in a band and my drummers brother lets us use some of his really all tube halfstacks for practice. Today I accidentaly left one of his amps on standby when I left practice and my drummer got mad at me, obviously this wasnt good and I wont let it happen again. But what are the dangers of a mistake like this, and what else should I keep in mind while using these really nice amps?
Leaving an amp on standby won't do anything...it puts a little wear on the tubes, just like having a light on slowly degrades the lightbulb, but it won't do anything.

Your drummer seems misinformed; you should kill him.

Read: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/an_elementary_understanding_of_tubes.html

/personal advertisement.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Last edited by Kevy Absolution at Aug 11, 2009,
Unless the amp has overheating issues leaving it in standby won't do anything but wear out the heaters in the tubes. If I'm not mistaken tubes usually go bad before the heaters wear out so it's usually not an issue.

The worst thing you can do to a tube amp is run it with no speaker or load. This is a sure fire way to seriously damage if not completely destroy a tube amp. Above all else make sure the cab is hooked up before playing and that it's hooked up to the proper jacks.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Well in standby, none really. The only danger of leaving an amp on unattended is wasting electricity and putting unnecessary ware on the tubes and various pieces. My amp gets pretty hot after an hour or two of playing, im not sure if they ever get to dangerous temperatures. It could also be bad because on some VERY rare occasions, an amp will catch fire and you'd want to be there to put it out quick.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by GuitarNinja12
Well in standby, none really. The only danger of leaving an amp on unattended is wasting electricity and putting unnecessary ware on the tubes and various pieces. My amp gets pretty hot after an hour or two of playing, im not sure if they ever get to dangerous temperatures. It could also be bad because on some VERY rare occasions, an amp will catch fire and you'd want to be there to put it out quick.

It won't get as hot just in standby. It is kind of like leaving a toaster on and walking out. Not something I'd do.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by GuitarNinja12

I'm pretty sure amps don't catch on fire when they're on standby. Your drummer's a drama queen, you did nothing serious.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

something called cathode poisoning can happen when you leave your amp on standby for too long, but in reality, it doesn't really happen enough for it to be a real issue.
Quote by Zoso1994
I'm pretty sure amps don't catch on fire when they're on standby. Your drummer's a drama queen, you did nothing serious.

The key phrase was VERY rare. Im talking about those rare cases where the amp is faulty and something bad happens. You might want to be in the room.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by al112987
something called cathode poisoning can happen when you leave your amp on standby for too long, but in reality, it doesn't really happen enough for it to be a real issue.

Haha, first result on Google much?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution
Haha, first result on Google much?
um no, i was told this by an amp tech who was helping me trouble shoot my JTM45.
Quote by SKAtastic7770
I have a question about tube amps, I'm in a band and my drummers brother lets us use some of his really all tube halfstacks for practice. Today I accidentaly left one of his amps on standby when I left practice and my drummer got mad at me, obviously this wasnt good and I wont let it happen again. But what are the dangers of a mistake like this, and what else should I keep in mind while using these really nice amps?

so his big bro comes home, finds his amp on standby, freaks out because he doesn't know **** about it, beats on his lil'bro/your drummer for awhile, and now he's pissed at you? tell him to go f*** himself.