This is a part of the audition that I do not think should be the "end all" decision for whether you get in or not, because not every guitarist has a reason to sight read, and those that can sight read sometimes have trouble. I highly recommend getting very familiar with sight reading anyways, but to give you a head start on your audition, here is a picture I took of the page they have guitarists audition from.

They give you 15 min. to look it over, and then you play it for them at the end of your audition. Pay attention to timing and note values. Every 2 staves are a new rhythm, each harder than the last. Try and shoot for the last one if you can to impress them, you only have to play one.

Enjoy

**image removed**
actually very helpful.
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Oh, thank god, I thought that the sight reading part would be insane. I feel much better now. Thank you, but aren't you NOT supposed to take pics of this stuff? Thanks anyway
wow...thats the exact sheet. i remember that from my audition!
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Hah thats actually not too bad. I used to know sheet music from playing keyboard from like ages 6-11 but that was ages ago... but give me a month or two to get used to it again and i could probably figure that out in 15 mins not too difficultly.

Not that it matters since im never planning to go to music college and am doing a degree in geology
Quote by Kevy Absolution
*reported*, for morality's sake.

what rules is he breaking, and how is it immoral?
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Aug 11, 2009,
I think it's obvious how it is immoral. Picture removed.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by insideac
Ok, well if anyone wants the picture, PM me for it.

They would be better off practicing to read, so that they actually have the skill when they audition. Besides being dishonest, getting in under false pretenses is bound to lead to problems.

Those tests serve an important purpose. If you don't truly have the skill they are testing for, you'll likely not get as much out of the program. In other words, the old cliche is appropriate here.....you're only cheating yourself.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 12, 2009,
+1.

It may be helpful to have that pic, but people are bound to learn that and perhaps neglect learning to read. If they then got in, they'd be in deep trouble.
Quote by Confusius
+1.

It may be helpful to have that pic, but people are bound to learn that and perhaps neglect learning to read. If they then got in, they'd be in deep trouble.

Not really, since they provide tabs along with sheet music for the exercises they give guitarists, not to mention that its not SOLELY a guitar class you'll be taking for 4 years until you get your degree. They will mostly focus on you as a musician in general, and will still teach you sight reading, as well as other stuff focusing on your major of choice.
Well I'd love to have seen that page... thanx axe for ruining it.

Not that I want to use it to cheat in some audition, merely out of curiosity as to what a music school requires you to know.... although i figure they judge yr prowess of reading along with yr playing skill. Seeing as I'll never be able to afford that lovely place called berklee or M.I. .... it just would have been nice to know
Last edited by evolucian at Aug 12, 2009,
...So what if you learned the page before your audition, then they had a different one there. Since you decided not to learn to sight read, you'll just play what you memorized, making it hideously obvious that you're cheating, and you can kiss your chance of getting into Berklee goodbye.

Do the work, get into the college. If you don't get in, you didn't work hard enough.
Quote by evolucian
Well I'd love to have seen that page... thanx axe for ruining it.

Not that I want to use it to cheat in some audition, merely out of curiosity as to what a music school requires you to know.... although i figure they judge yr prowess of reading along with yr playing skill. Seeing as I'll never be able to afford that lovely place called berklee or M.I. .... it just would have been nice to know

if you can get ahold of a Real Book........ sight read some of the melodies in there. That's more or less what you'd be looking it.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by timeconsumer09
...So what if you learned the page before your audition, then they had a different one there. Since you decided not to learn to sight read, you'll just play what you memorized, making it hideously obvious that you're cheating, and you can kiss your chance of getting into Berklee goodbye.

Do the work, get into the college. If you don't get in, you didn't work hard enough.

There are many amazing players who are very technically proficient and deserve to get in but don't, due to lack of sight reading ability. There is a small chance they can change it, but they probably won't for a while seeing as its the same page they've used for at LEAST 3 years, possibly alot longer by the way the book looked (very old).

Besides, if you can learn what is on the page that I provided, then obviously you can sight read, THEREFORE, its not cheating, because they know how to sight read. If I provided them with tabs of the sheet music, that would be cheating/dishonest, but im not telling them the notes, nor what to play.
Quote by insideac
There are many amazing players who are very technically proficient and deserve to get in but don't, due to lack of sight reading ability. There is a small chance they can change it, but they probably won't for a while seeing as its the same page they've used for at LEAST 3 years, possibly alot longer by the way the book looked (very old).

Besides, if you can learn what is on the page that I provided, then obviously you can sight read, THEREFORE, its not cheating, because they know how to sight read. If I provided them with tabs of the sheet music, that would be cheating/dishonest, but im not telling them the notes, nor what to play.

You deserve to get in when you meet the minimum requirements. The instructors decide those requirements, not the student.

Keep in mind that reading standard notation is a skill that is likely integral to the program as a whole. Not being able to read proficiently will likely put a person at a severe disadvantage.

Those "very technically proficient" players you speak of simply need to become proficient at another skill. I think anyone serious about attending Berkley would consider this rather than blowing it off and dismissing it as "unfair".

I mean you wouldn't go to school for Literature and then complain about having to read written words just because you fancy yourself a proficient speaker.

It's really helpful to be proficient at reading the particular language that you're class will be taught in. In this case that's music..... standard notation.

So do you go to Berkley now Insideac?
shred is gaudy music
Can anyone tell me why they give you 15 minutes? With that much time you could already have the pieces memorize.
Quote by GuitarMunky

So do you go to Berkley now Insideac?

Nope, too expensive for me, and I don't feel comfortable spending that much money on a career that is already extremely risky. I decided I don't need a piece of paper telling me that I know how to play music.

Quote by rockinrider55
Can anyone tell me why they give you 15 minutes? With that much time you could already have the pieces memorize.

Youll find that just the 15 minutes is not enough time, since you will probably be nervous about the rest of the audition, so it will be harder than usual to read than if you were chilling out at home on your own time. But if you can really learn the pieces in that time, then you deserve to pass that part of the audition
Last edited by insideac at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by insideac
Youll find that just the 15 minutes is not enough time, since you will probably be nervous about the rest of the audition, so it will be harder than usual to read than if you were chilling out at home on your own time. But if you can really learn the pieces in that time, then you deserve to pass that part of the audition
Well if it takes you 15 minutes you don't know how to sight read do you? There isn't really anything tricky about the reading either.

I've been told so many different stories about Berklee being either super hard or super easy to get into I read online at a jazz forum that one guitarist was given a random bebop solo counted off at ~150. And then you say you get 15 minutes and the entire chart is nothing special
Quote by rockinrider55
Well if it takes you 15 minutes you don't know how to sight read do you? There isn't really anything tricky about the reading either.

I've been told so many different stories about Berklee being either super hard or super easy to get into I read online at a jazz forum that one guitarist was given a random bebop solo counted off at ~150. And then you say you get 15 minutes and the entire chart is nothing special

Its dynamic, to a certain extent. If they see you are an average musician, they won't attempt anything wacky or ask things from you. If you do really well on the sight reading, and see that you are technically proficient, and you do really well on the chords they ask you to construct, then they will ask harder things until they find out where you stopped growing as a musician, for example they would ask you to improvise over a blues rhythm, and then ask you to call out everytime the verse or chorus starts, so they know if you understand song structure, or they might ask for a different style solo if the blues is looking boring and easy from you, or many other things.
in reality, you need to learn how to sight read. not so you can get into berklee, but if you want to play professionally and make money sight reading is a neccesary skill period end of story. The sightreading at berklee was not that hard (i auditioned this year as well) especially because you can practice it for 15 minutes before hand (but the people who were running the auditions left me in there for at least twenty). theres two great books by berklee press melodic rhythms for guitar and reading studies for guitar. if you work out of those for 30 minutes a day each in addition to whatever else you do, then sightreading will become easy fast. Moreover, if you screw up your sightreading but are a really good player you still have a good chance of getting into berklee (and most other jazz schools) because if you can play well and improvise (and have a good ear) you can be taught to read easily.
Tl; DNR
man up and learn to read if you want to make it as a professional performing musician, its not very hard at all. it doesnt matter how good your technique is if you cant sit down with an ensemble, read a tune (or piece) down and have it sound good. as guitarists, we have to worry about neither intonation nor tone production aside from the basics so sightreading is not that hard. however, if your a great player with a strong ear and audition piece and basic sightreading skills you can still get into berklee (and many other schools).
Quote by insideac
Nope, too expensive for me, and I don't feel comfortable spending that much money on a career that is already extremely risky. I decided I don't need a piece of paper telling me that I know how to play music.

Oh I see. Where did you get the sheet music from?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by insideac
I auditioned twice, and made it in both times.

LOL, what was the 2nd audition for?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
LOL, what was the 2nd audition for?

Because if you want to come to the school over a year after you auditioned, you have to audition again.
Quote by insideac
Because if you want to come to the school over a year after you auditioned, you have to audition again.

How was it there? Did you go?
No, its too expensive. Very nice looking school though, the latest technology and equipment in all areas, and their music library is amazingly huge. Plus you get a pass to get into the other music schools and conservatories so you can access their libraries too.
That's pretty cool, I heard it was far to expensive. My classical guitar teacher says that money is a big waste of cash, and that there are a ton of other schools with music programs just as good if not better.
Quote by GuitarMunky
if you can get ahold of a Real Book........ sight read some of the melodies in there. That's more or less what you'd be looking it.

Oh, got a few of those... then I guess the excitement was for naught. Sigh....
Quote by insideac

No, when I told the school that I wasn't going this year, but I was going to save up money and maybe go next year, they said I can have my acceptance could be pushed back to next year, sine I was already admitted for this year.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
insideac practice your sight reading and be creative with the piece you choose to perform. Show them you have creative tallent of your own making.
The problem isn't so much getting in as it will be to stay in. Berklee is loaded with some of the best talent on the planet.