So is this OCD, or just a quirk...

When I go to bed at night (only at home in my own room) I need everything to be perfect.
I need the sheet and blanket to be exactly even on both sides of the bed, and tucked in correctly at the bottom. I need the sheet to come up just the right distance farther so that I can fold it down perfectly over the blanket.
Also the clothes need to be picked up, I cant go to bed with shit on the floor. The chair at my desk has to be pushed in and I have to check to make sure nothing has been pushed under the bed. The shades have to be pulled exactly about halfway across the windows.

I dont have any other tendencies like this, but for years now I have been what I call "bedtime OCD" should I be worried about this?
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
yes you should be worried and I wrote this poem about why you should be worried:
you're going to die
slowly and painfully
because of this dreadful disease
that plagues your nights
and worry's your days
and one fateful night
when you tuck yourself in tight
and pray that the bed bugs will not bite
you'll fall asleep forever
burning in fright
because you forgot
to turn out the light
Last edited by Ponyexpress at Aug 11, 2009,
Yes
My Gear
Fender Player's Stratocaster
MXR 10-Band EQ
Blackstar HT-Dual
Moog MF-103 12-Stage Phaser
Boss ME-50
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Valveking 112
Well, it does sound a lot like OCD. I'm not a doctor but I'd say that it is a form of "psychosis", for lack of an accurate medical term, because it sounds like it interferes with your life (not being able to sleep sounds kinda bad). Medication may help but I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to really knock it out.
Quote by pentatonic4life
Well, it does sound a lot like OCD. I'm not a doctor but I'd say that it is a form of "psychosis", for lack of an accurate medical term, because it sounds like it interferes with your life (not being able to sleep sounds kinda bad). Medication may help but I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to really knock it out.

I can sleep fine. I just have to take an extra minute or so before going to bed.
-George Carlin

PM me to donate
I do exactly the same thing with my sheets/linen, OCD is excessive irrational behaviour that inhibits your life in a way that reduces your quality of life.

What we do can be seen as a pre-sleep ritual, something that can be used to get us in a relaxed and comfortable state of mind in order to better sleep - therefore beneficial.
Everybody has their things that they like to be right or perfect to feel better. It all depends on how severe yours is. I'm guessing pretty bad since you had to post it..
Worried? Nah. Everyone has a little bit of OCD.

In regards to "Bedtime OCD", I do almost all of those; so you're not the only one.
Part of this Complete Breakfast!
Quote by Le_Bunny
I do exactly the same thing with my sheets/linen, OCD is excessive irrational behaviour that inhibits your life in a way that reduces your quality of life.

What we do can be seen as a pre-sleep ritual, something that can be used to get us in a relaxed and comfortable state of mind in order to better sleep - therefore beneficial.

This exactly. If it isn't affecting your life in a serious fashion, it really isn't OCD. Now I've got a few idiosyncrasies that affect my daily life, like the ring I wear has a part that spins and I end up spinning it a set number of times if it moves the wrong way. I HAVE to get dressed in a certain order or I have to do things over again, same with the shower, if I get out of my order, everything has to happen over again. They won't diagnose me as an obsessive compulsive, but they know it's something that has a hold over me. You on the other hand, you seem to be tidy, you like things organized, but it doesn't seem like it affects your life negatively.
No, it's about personality. Some people get in a bad humor just because they saw a painting not aligned with the floor. You're okay but compulsive maybe.
Quote by wizards?
you seem to be tidy, you like things organized, but it doesn't seem like it affects your life negatively.

thats the thing, Im not a neat or organized person at all
Just before I go to bed.
-George Carlin

PM me to donate
Quote by Old Vendetta\m/
Unless it's making you lose sleep or punch babies, I don't really see how this would be a problem.
Dude your avatar is awesome. Cope is the ****ing man.

TS, I'm like that too, about a lot of things, but I'm definitely not OCD. Whenever I see a stack of books or papers or CDs, the edges need to all be flush. I'm pretty anal about my sheets and covers too. The sheets can not protrude from the covers at any side, especially not the edge that is by my head.

I have a few other things.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by Ponyexpress
yes you should be worried and I wrote this poem about why you should be worried:
you're going to die
slowly and painfully
because of this dreadful disease
that plagues your nights
and worry's your days
and one fateful night
when you tuck yourself in tight
and pray that the bed bugs will not bite
you'll fall asleep forever
burning in fright
because you forgot
to turn out the light

-George Carlin

PM me to donate
Quote by B4Dkarma

finally some acknowledgment for epic first post (the completely made up on the spot, I kid you not, poem)
Last edited by Ponyexpress at Aug 11, 2009,
That poem was awesome

Im sure thats nothing to worry about. I do the same thing to a lesser degree. I always stuff a sweatshirt under the door for some reason. I guess to keep the light out You'll be fine.
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
Quote by B4Dkarma
Just before I go to bed.

Well if you're cleaning, you're a semi-neat person, it doesn't matter when you do it, it just matters that you do it. This isn't OCD, it is a sleep aid. Some people listen to relaxing music, some people watch tv, some people have another shot of whiskey, you clean.

It's nothing, it's not harming you in any way whatsoever, so don't worry about it.
Quote by B4Dkarma
Just before I go to bed.
Yeah I'm a very unorganized person, but I still have these little things that I like to put in order. It doesn't consume me, but it kind of bothers me when they aren't in order.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
At least you don't wash your hand 60+ times a day.

Tonight I kill your fucking face.
I killed your face.

HG FC: 4211 7971 0287
Plt FC: 3052 1000 9033
Sounds like mild OCD, I do some similar things, but not nearly on that scale. Unless it's seriously bothering you, you should be fine - just a little weird
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Quote by B4Dkarma
So is this OCD, or just a quirk...

When I go to bed at night (only at home in my own room) I need everything to be perfect.
I need the sheet and blanket to be exactly even on both sides of the bed, and tucked in correctly at the bottom. I need the sheet to come up just the right distance farther so that I can fold it down perfectly over the blanket.
Also the clothes need to be picked up, I cant go to bed with shit on the floor. The chair at my desk has to be pushed in and I have to check to make sure nothing has been pushed under the bed. The shades have to be pulled exactly about halfway across the windows.

I dont have any other tendencies like this, but for years now I have been what I call "bedtime OCD" should I be worried about this?

A mildly autistic coworker of mine did this in the staff bathroom one day. The odd thing is that he never spoke of it, ever. He may as well not even recall doing it.

On topic, everyone has little OCD quirks here and there. Although yours sounds quite a lot worse than many peoples. I wouldn't worry about it too much.