So I heard somebody mention this in another topic on here, and decided to check out the website. Based on what I've heard, I'm convinced that this is the best drum sampler I've heard, and now I want it, as using individual samples in Modplug Tracker just isn't cutting it (not to mention I'm after better sounding samples for metal anyway). After all, the less tinkering around with the recorded sounds necessary, the better, right?

All I'm really wondering is if it's as awesome as it appears to be, and who here might use it. I'm looking into the premium edition to get all of the drum kits.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
So I heard somebody mention this in another topic on here, and decided to check out the website. Based on what I've heard, I'm convinced that this is the best drum sampler I've heard, and now I want it, as using individual samples in Modplug Tracker just isn't cutting it (not to mention I'm after better sounding samples for metal anyway). After all, the less tinkering around with the recorded sounds necessary, the better, right?

All I'm really wondering is if it's as awesome as it appears to be, and who here might use it. I'm looking into the premium edition to get all of the drum kits.

that might have been me as ive posted in all the drum sampler threads through the past week. well if your honestly considering the slate drums sampler id say give a look at superior, i, not sure tho if it's sound files can sampler live drums. also is the modplug tracker a drum replace ie drumagog? if you dont have a drum replacer youll need one. anyways slate drums are really good for metal imo, but anythign with lots of dynamics woud be suited with something better i think.
Hmm, well, it sounds pretty temping to go w/Slate then, although I was also considering Superior Drummer as well. Isn't that one essentially an upgraded version of EZDrummer?

Modplug tracker is older sampling software (freeware as well), which was created to create music module files with (think of it as a step above those old MIDI files), but since it can be used with just about any sound file, it can also be used to arrange drum samples into the desired patterns, then export them into individual wave files (one for the kick drum, snare, etc.) which you can load into your DAW. The Problem with this approach is that it's still pretty unnatural sounding, no matter how good the sound samples are.

EDIT: To hear this approach, you can listen to the clip on my profile, and you should see what I mean (Although CatharsisStudio managed to take it and get it to sound pretty good, but I don't have that version)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Hmm, well, it sounds pretty temping to go w/Slate then, although I was also considering Superior Drummer as well. Isn't that one essentially an upgraded version of EZDrummer?

Modplug tracker is older sampling software (freeware as well), which was created to create music module files with (think of it as a step above those old MIDI files), but since it can be used with just about any sound file, it can also be used to arrange drum samples into the desired patterns, then export them into individual wave files (one for the kick drum, snare, etc.) which you can load into your DAW. The Problem with this approach is that it's still pretty unnatural sounding, no matter how good the sound samples are.

EDIT: To hear this approach, you can listen to the clip on my profile, and you should see what I mean (Although CatharsisStudio managed to take it and get it to sound pretty good, but I don't have that version)

oh well if you dont really like the sound of it id suggest aptrigga, its 60$ and seems to be a pretty good deal (although ive read it doesnt have as many options as drumagog, but its a 140$ cheaper) and for what it matters ive talked to catharis and he says he uses aptrigga for replacing drums. also are you programming teh drums or your playing them and sampling a lot of the kit? anyways id recommend aptrigga and slate, if you cant afford the 330$ with aptrigga then just get the le edition, it still comes with lots of good kits, and a lot of the the good metal ones. if your just programming drums then id say look into superior drummer 2.0, more realistic drumming IMO, but slate has better samples for drum replacing.
Could you please elaborate on Aptrigga and Drumagog a bit so I know more about them? What exactly are they? programs to replace drums in a recording with a sampled sound?

And I'll be programming the drums. I don't have my own kit, and am not very good at playing a real one anyway.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Quote by FlightofIcarus
Could you please elaborate on Aptrigga and Drumagog a bit so I know more about them? What exactly are they? programs to replace drums in a recording with a sampled sound?

And I'll be programming the drums. I don't have my own kit, and am not very good at playing a real one anyway.

oh well if your programming your drums i highly suggest superior drummer 2.0. The sounds are the best drum sounds imo and theirs 25 velocity layers with 15 samples in each velocity layers (thats why its 25 gb ) if your programming drums you DONT need drumagog or aptrigga. the purpose of those, is if your recording drums in the studio and you find you dont like the snare much, or the kick isnt "heavy" enough you get a sample from a program ,such as slate drums, load in the snare/kick files and drumagog/aptrigga detect the hits and replace them with the sample. this is not necesarry for someone programming drums. id suggest a long look at superior drummer 2.0 , 30$ cheaper than what you were looking at and imo much better for the programmer or e-drummer. also if you come into 150$ theres the metal foundry expansion. serisouly amazing drum sounds, no pre processing so your getting 35 gigs of just pure drum sounds. also if you want an example of superior drummer just pm your email, DONT listen to the song in my profile it was the worst job of programming drums ive done. i also have some with drum kit from hell, which didnt turn out so bad. also check the toontrack site, www.toontrack.com , click on products and select superior drummer 2.0
Just out of curiosity, what is it about SD that makes it better for the programming drummer you think?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Quote by FlightofIcarus
Just out of curiosity, what is it about SD that makes it better for the programming drummer you think?

well on each drum in superior theres 25 velocity layers (quiet to loud) and in each of those velocity layers are 15 samples. so thats 375 hits. I think those might just be rough numbers as they may have even more samples on the snare, as its very dynamic. anyways something like slate drums has 5 velocity layers and prob around 3-5 samples in each one. what this leads to is almsot machine gun style snare rolls. also i know that superior drummer 2.0 comes with a humanizing fuction that actually does left and right hand hits. its pretty wild. also if you ever get v-drums (or build some like i am) superior drummer has an excellent trigger system. dont get me wrong, slate drums are still nice and im prob going to pick up the le package in the future. as the platinum comes with double the sounds, but they arent really better quality, just more kits.
Quote by seanington
Arent they all radio ready samples? as in they come already EQ'd?

superior drummer 2.0 come slightly processed, but nothing really noticable. Slate are made to sound really good the second you up load them. slate are really used by people to sample in kicks and snares into a drum track. i dont know how common it is to play e-drums with them or program tracks with them, although im sure itd come out nice.
I've heard a fair amount of stuff done all with slate, and it all sounds very radio ready.

You WILL need to eq and compress the samples a bit to work in your mixes generally. Maybe blend samples as well, but the raw samples sound great.
Quote by MetalBass 77
well on each drum in superior theres 25 velocity layers (quiet to loud) and in each of those velocity layers are 15 samples. so thats 375 hits. I think those might just be rough numbers as they may have even more samples on the snare, as its very dynamic. anyways something like slate drums has 5 velocity layers and prob around 3-5 samples in each one. what this leads to is almsot machine gun style snare rolls. also i know that superior drummer 2.0 comes with a humanizing fuction that actually does left and right hand hits. its pretty wild. also if you ever get v-drums (or build some like i am) superior drummer has an excellent trigger system. dont get me wrong, slate drums are still nice and im prob going to pick up the le package in the future. as the platinum comes with double the sounds, but they arent really better quality, just more kits.
So basically, the drums in SD 2.0 are sampled at many more velocity levels for maximum realism?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Quote by FlightofIcarus
So basically, the drums in SD 2.0 are sampled at many more velocity levels for maximum realism?

yes thats correct. the main reason for so called machine gun affect is the same sample being played right after eachother very quickly, such as in a snare roll. slate drums are very close to this machine gun effect as they're not as many velocites and samples. but it depends on the kit as some the snare seems to be better sampled. the 300$ imo will be MUCH better spent on superior drummer 2.0. Slate sounds good on its own, but i think its more for replacement in "real" drum tracks, i.e. replaceing the snare and kick.
It depends on what you want.
Slate drums are very, uh, minimal effort required sorta thing.
If you want that radio ready sound with ease, go with Slate. If you want a drum VSTi that will sound better as your own mixing talent grows, go with Superior 2.0, but be prepared to put in the extra effort with drum mixing.
Quote by Dream Pin
It depends on what you want.
Slate drums are very, uh, minimal effort required sorta thing.
If you want that radio ready sound with ease, go with Slate. If you want a drum VSTi that will sound better as your own mixing talent grows, go with Superior 2.0, but be prepared to put in the extra effort with drum mixing.

+1. it depends on the situation. imo i think you should go with superior as it has more humanizing options and the like making it better for drum programming. i still want to pick up the slate le edition when 3.5 comes out, but i might spend the 150$ on the metal foundry. cant beat that price for 35 gigs of raw drums. superior is best for playing e-drums or programming, slate is best for inputting samples into "live" drum tracks, although they *can* each do everything they each have their purposes.