okay, the crusade is usless. just someone tell me. say for example, someone is playing knockin' on heavens door. G D Am, G D C. and i want to improvise a bit of a solo over these chords. what the f*ck do i do?
Hoping i don't get perma-banned

SUIT UP!
if your worried about the key just write down all the notes in each chord and find a scale that has all those notes in it.. but if you want to solo over those chords, that take more of feeling instead of scales and crap. listen to those chords alot and think of a melody, sing it and record it and try to figure it out on the guitar.
That's in G major, improv with a scale that fits in G major.
Last edited by pwrmax at Aug 12, 2009,
i know nothing of scales, keys, and individual notes. only chords. its not so much writing a solo i want, but just to be able to make it sound good and in check with the chords.

like the most i can do is just pick the notes G D C. and obviously thats a very very boring solo.

SUIT UP!
Quote by classrock77
i know nothing of scales, keys, and individual notes. only chords.
There are a lot of theory lessons on UG which may acquaint you a little better with music theory, if you care to learn.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
i tryed the crusade, i didnt understand the names of keys and stuff like that.

SUIT UP!
and the must f*ucked up thing is iv been playing for like 5 years

SUIT UP!
also i dont know what sharpes and flats are. like are they minor chords or something? like Am, Dm

SUIT UP!
Quote by classrock77
i tryed the first one, i cant read music though.

The first few lessons do teach that
Quote by Blckspawn
Do you know individual notes?

i know some, but am i allowed to use notes other than G D A and C for that song??

SUIT UP!
Quote by classrock77
i know some, but am i allowed to use notes other than G D A and C for that song??

Well if you going to use the chords G,D,Am,G,D,C. You could just use the corresponding scales or you could figure out what One scale would work for the whole thing.
Quote by classrock77

Any note in the G major scale will do, so G A B C D E F#. But I doubt you can make much use of it if you don't know how chords and chord progressions work.
Quote by Blckspawn
Well if you going to use the chords G,D,Am,G,D,C. You could just use the corresponding scales or you could figure out what One scale would work for the whole thing.

Are you suggesting using the G major scale when G comes, A minor scale when Am comes, etc?

That wouldn't sound too good, you'd basically be modulating every chord.
okay, i got my sister to strum the song, and the only thing i can do is pick the notes G D A, G D C. what can i do with this to make it sound good? :S

SUIT UP!
Quote by classrock77
okay, i got my sister to strum the song, and the only thing i can do is pick the notes G D A, G D C. what can i do with this to make it sound good? :S

NO, when the G chord comes up you play something in the G minor or major scale. Now when the D chord comes up you play something in the D minor or major scale and so on and so forth.......got it?
^
The Marty Friedman video I posted is good for composing melodies, if it's too confusing then you have some learning to do before attempting to solo.
Quote by Blckspawn
NO, when the G chord comes up you play something in the G minor or major scale. Now when the D chord comes up you play something in the D minor or major scale and so on and so forth.......got it?

I have to disagree here, playing with G minor scale over a G major chord wouldn't sound very good. There's the minor pentatonic in major key rock method, but that's something else. And you can't just change scale ever chord, it just doesn't work that way.
Last edited by pwrmax at Aug 12, 2009,

Modulating for each chord won't be very helpful, it's best for him to start off just playing the major/minor/pentatonic scale.

Anyway, here are some articles from the FAQ here to help you out in this area:
Guide to chord formation
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less..._formation.html

What chords are in what key and why?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less...ey_and_why.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=525227

What key is a chord progression in?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=229763

Theory behind chord progressions
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=394618

Unfortunately the articles are pretty lengthy for what you want to do, but knowing these will definitely be a very, very big help for you in more ways than just soloing. Remember, take it slow; learning and understanding takes time. I suggest you also try going over the Crusades once again.

If you are still confused after reading the articles, I would highly recommend getting a teacher.

EDIT: Great all the articles are 404'd. Hopefully you can have better luck with the crusades I guess.
Last edited by KillahSquirrel at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by classrock77
If you don't know any theory, while you are learning some you could just arpeggiate the chords - so over the G chord solo with the notes of the G chord, over the D chord solo with the notes of the D chord. If you can't find the individual notes just hold the chord and play the individual notes for now. It won't be a world shattering solo, but its a start.

In the meantime, learn some theory - Freepower's theory vids are easy to understand, start from the beginning and cover all the basics:http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=58DA70A2123C71CD&search_query=freepowerug+theory