hey im new to this whole "forum posting" thing... but i have an issue...
I play a lot of technical, death metal, grind... etc etc... and i DESPERATELY NEED AN AMP.
I have been saving up for a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and a Vader 4X12 cab... but i'm starting to find that this is a bit out of my price range... what is the next best option???
(*note that i need to be able to play brutal rhythm as well as leads because i do a lot of sweeping... and i also need a decent clean tone.)... to get the idea some of the bands i play are The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza, Between The Buried And Me, The Faceless, IWRESTLEDABEARONCE, Necrophagist, Inside The Beehive, Pacifist, Statues Cry Bleeding... i just need an all around kick ass amp.

(*try to keep the price no more than $1000 including a cab)

hope you can help...
Last edited by dillarem at Aug 11, 2009,
Peavey 5150 and a preferred cabinet of your choice, I don't know much about cabs but you could ask someone else about them.
My Rig
Mesa Triple Rectifier Half Stack
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Ampeg VH-140C.

But, none of that scenecrap is grindcore, or even remotely similar.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
hmm i've played on the 6505+ and i've been leaning toward them for quite some time... but the lead tone just dont cut it for me... not a very good shred amp... but the amp has probably some of the most brutal distortion for the money... (to me it sounds like the ideal amp for a rhythm guitarist or just flat out a balls-to-the-wall death metal band) thanks for the advice though man!
i just put in a few bands... ok then bands like Pacifist... Inside The Beehive... Statues Cry Bleeding... i need just all around kick ass amp
I was going to recommend the 6505+ but since you have ruled it out, how bout going to ebay and finding a Randall V2? $1000 bucks is pretty tight to get what you're looking for I think
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
the other guitarist in our band got a 6505+ and thought the same thing about the leads until he ran it through my 400 watt Randall XL cab. Maybe the matching Peavey cab is a little lacking, I'm not sure. But maybe try it through a different cab or perhaps running it through a rackmount eq to help out (I only say that because he also does that and now loves his tone)
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Quote by chuckmehh
I was going to recommend the 6505+ but since you have ruled it out, how bout going to ebay and finding a Randall V2? $1000 bucks is pretty tight to get what you're looking for I think

i know... i have a feeling i will have to go with the 5150/6505 or the 5150II/6505+... i just feel that when it comes down to it you can't get a sound out of it... (it is a really kick ass amp though) im also leaning toward a used Madison Divinity amp...
Quote by dillarem
i just put in a few bands... ok then bands like Pacifist... Inside The Beehive... Statues Cry Bleeding... i need just all around kick ass amp

Still not grindcore, or even similar. Grindcore is like Pig Destroyer, Magrudergrind, Insect Warfare type stuff.

I know you need an amp, that's why I gave you the best advice I can, regardless of your taste in music.

Dollar for dollar, the Ampeg will beat anything that gets recommended. Even ignoring cost, it'll go toe to toe with any high gain t00b amp.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
hmm never heard the Madison Divinity...just go to your local guitar stores and try out what they got. Don't rule out solid state amps just because they are solid state,either! Some people prefer the sound of solid state amps and some may suit your style. Also try runnin the 6505 through a different cab or even putting some sort of boost/eq through its effects loop like I mentioned, it really does help
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
STABxYOU is correct. Period.

Those Ampegs are damn nice, and that was the first thing I thought of.

Also, don't forget Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Repulsion, and The Locust.
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by The_Bosstone
The Locust.

Only the self titled EP, after that they shifted into more noise rock.

Actually, a lot of 'scenegrind' bands seem to be poor imitations of The Locust.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
Still not grindcore, or even similar. Grindcore is like Pig Destroyer, Magrudergrind, Insect Warfare type stuff.

I know you need an amp, that's why I gave you the best advice I can, regardless of your taste in music.

Dollar for dollar, the Ampeg will beat anything that gets recommended. Even ignoring cost, it'll go toe to toe with any high gain t00b amp.

well thanks man i will check out those ampegs
and i checked out a few of those bands... ****ing sick
Quote by chuckmehh
hmm never heard the Madison Divinity...just go to your local guitar stores and try out what they got. Don't rule out solid state amps just because they are solid state,either! Some people prefer the sound of solid state amps and some may suit your style. Also try runnin the 6505 through a different cab or even putting some sort of boost/eq through its effects loop like I mentioned, it really does help

if i dont figure things out i may do like you say.... maybe go peavey 5150 through a Vader Cab... maybe a Boss Eq and Sonic Equalizer or Boost/Overdrive.
yeah Vaders are great cabs too...that sounds like a plan man...let me know how you make out with that and good luck
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Yeah, I guess thats true. I mostly only listen to S/T and Flight of the Wounded Locust really.

Scenegrind is shit at everything it attempts to be.
Quote by dillarem
well thanks man i will check out those ampegs
and i checked out a few of those bands... ****ing sick

Awesome.

Also, +1 on BBE Sonic Stomps. They're a really great addition to a rig and can't be matched with an EQ pedal. They're not the same as an EQ pedal, and they're really only similar in that either can be used to reduce muddiness.

Quote by The_Bosstone
Yeah, I guess thats true. I mostly only listen to S/T and Flight of the Wounded Locust really.

Scenegrind is shit at everything it attempts to be.

I agree with this. Although, the whole aesthetic a lot of them try to rock, seems 'OMG let's be The Locust in 2000 only br00tulz!!!!'
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Last edited by STABxYOU at Aug 12, 2009,
Yeah, its really just annoying in general. I also hate scene kids though...

What do Sonic Stomps do?
Quote by The_Bosstone
Yeah, its really just annoying in general. I also hate scene kids though...

What do Sonic Stomps do?

can we get back on subject... i dont want to just bash a certain type of music or people...
im just trying to find an amp...
sonic stomps rearrange harmonic frequencies subtly, to make them clearer basically... and they do it reactively, rather than in a preset manner
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Waggoner and Waring from BTBAM use Dual recs as far as I can tell from the pictures in the Colors CD booklet. But I know you said you can't afford it. I'm not a fan of the dual rec anyway, though they make it sound really good. I never can

Try a used Mark IV, listen to Lamb of God for some clips! It also gets a very nice clean tone, some jazz players use it just for that. I like the rhythm2 crunch channel when turned up a bit, but some folks seem to not like it. All around really versatile amp that should fall in your price range if you look a bit..
Ampeg + a good EQ through a good cab like an Avatar/Vader 2x12 will be just as good for your genres as any Mesa. The VH140c are easily in the top 20 amps for heavy metal ever. And at such a low price, its insane. Amazing cleans aswell.
Quote by konigstiger
sonic stomps rearrange harmonic frequencies subtly, to make them clearer basically... and they do it reactively, rather than in a preset manner
That is fantastic. I should pick one up...

TS, VH140C + 2x12 loaded w/ Celestion G12T-75s + EQ pedal is exactly what you want.
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Aug 12, 2009,