Well, today I had my first guitar lesson since March 13th, 2008. And I'm happy to say I finally have a good teacher! Sure my past were good, but nothing like this guy..anyways.

He brought up a very interesting point. He said that he believes tabs are hurting players- that players weren't really learning how to play. Of course, that second statement can be argued with among several points. He's going to try to teach me to be able to hear a song, write it out myself and play it. I realise that there are many players, can do this-but how many? In the 80's and before, many players would have to listen to a song and pick it out by ear(So I've been told, and it seems correct). So, is tab hurting players?

The second point he brought up was that is sort of relative to that is timing. Not necessarily staying on time, but learning a song just how it is and not being able to transpose the keys. Now, with some work and basic theory understanding, we can all understand and even do this. But how many can just take any song and change the key? Or for that matter with the timing, change the rhythm to it and make it accurate. Sure, we can change tempos..or even screw up and change the timing by accident.

So are players being hurt by learning tabs? And are players being hurt by the restraint of learning songs straight as written and not changing them up to a different key or time? The possibilities of them two are endless of what they could affect, so just brainstorm for a second and state your answer.
i actually stopped reading tabs because i want to get better at playing by ear and reading music. by not reading tabs i haven't learned as much material as i want to, but the stuff that i do learn by ear and by music is better than learning 10 songs by tabs. well worth it man.
well put...

now i have something to think about.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Quote by MetalMusicianAl
i actually stopped reading tabs because i want to get better at playing by ear and reading music. by not reading tabs i haven't learned as much material as i want to, but the stuff that i do learn by ear and by music is better than learning 10 songs by tabs. well worth it man.

Yeah, I'm wanting to get like my teacher is and be able to hear almost any song and be able to play it. I can already do that with ACDC, but hell, most of their chords are all the same and the solos are pretty easy to figure out as well.
Quote by Christian Davis
Yeah, I'm wanting to get like my teacher is and be able to hear almost any song and be able to play it. I can already do that with ACDC, but hell, most of their chords are all the same and the solos are pretty easy to figure out as well.

i know what you mean man. the other day my teacher was hired to write the sheet music for this song by ear and he did it. he passed the sheet music onto me so i could learn the song and practice reading. i'm getting better at playing by ear, but it still takes a while and it's frustrating.
I try to do that some times. If the song is slow and the guitar isn't doing anything too articulate, I can pretty much figure it out by ear. But when a song is at all fast or has any articulation to it I typically have to resort to tabs :-P
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
I find that my ear is pretty decent when I'm trying to play video game music (using chiptunes), however my ear ain't as good when I'm trying to actually pick up music that's.. y'know.. real. Like the above poster, my ear gets worse if they're playing faster or very articulated.

What helps, of course, is to be able to sing along with pitches you hear on the guitar. That really develops your ears.