i have a insanely hard time picking fast liked on songs scream by A7X, but i can strum up and down easily on the main riff of smells like teen spirit by nirvana... any help is GREATLY apreciated!!!
KEEP ROCKIN!!!
Current Gear:
Fender Squire Strat
DOD Death Medal Distortion pedal
ESP LTD H-300 *YEA SON*
Fender Squire amp *BOO*
just start off slow. and build up speed as you feel comfortable. go from 8th's to 16th's and so on. you could use a metronome to keep tempo or just tap your foot at a comfortable pace
I think the best way u can start is by choosing a single note and slowly pick up and down, getting faster as u get more comfortable. once ur comfortable enough alt picking, trying switching notes while still alt picking.
I don't know if you listen to Iron Maiden, but in the song Hallowed Be Thy Name, the first fast riff in the song helped me immensely.
"Any statement beginning with the words 'In truth' is almost always a lie."

The Legion
do chromatic exercises and the many permutations they offer with a metronome. that has helped me immensely. another thing to watch out for is that your hands are not tense. watch videos of your favorite guitarists to learn from their technique and paul gilbert videos help a lot too.
what are 8ths to 16ths? like 8th fret to the 16th fret?
Current Gear:
Fender Squire Strat
DOD Death Medal Distortion pedal
ESP LTD H-300 *YEA SON*
Fender Squire amp *BOO*
Quote by donisthatcool
what are 8ths to 16ths? like 8th fret to the 16th fret?

No, eighths/sixteenths as in an eighth note (half of a beat) and a sixteenth note (quarter of a beat).
Last edited by HoffManCometh at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by HoffManCometh
No, eighths/sixteenths as in an eighth note (half of a beat) and a sixteenth note (quarter of a beat).

That of course is only true if it's in a 4 denominator key signature.
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Quote by grayfox1001
That of course is only true if it's in a 4 denominator key signature.

He's going to be playing in X/4 anyway if he wants to practice his alternate picking correctly.
Quote by mikeYekim
I don't know if you listen to Iron Maiden, but in the song Hallowed Be Thy Name, the first fast riff in the song helped me immensely.

I too was wanting to improve, so i took your advice and instantly got the guitar pro of it. I got it so fast that I didn't bother to look at the band names, so I got the cradle of filth version on accident. Tuned my guitar down a whole step, and tried learning that alt picking part roughly 40bpm faster :/ I was wondering why it sounded so weird, and i didn't recognize any of the names listed lol. but yeah, after downloading the maiden version, I can really see where you're coming from.
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
I suggest learning the technique slowly at first then gradually increasing speed. Start off with the basic 1234 exercise on one string. Pick entirely from your wrist, not from your entire arm. It' more efficient and less painful. Also, I don't recommend anchoring your hand because that will make your movements less fluid, but that's a subjective matter. I used to anchor my hand all the time but ever since I stopped, my picking technique improved a lot. I now only place my palm on the bridge and it works great for me. Angle the pick a little downward (some people like Shawn Lane angle it upward, but I doubt you'll be comfortable doing that). Doing that will allow the pick to cross the string faster. Also practice alternate picking 3-notes per string, this will improve your ability to cross strings as the picking pattern changes from string to string. Most people like the Dunlop Jazz III pick for shredding because it's small and pointy, but I can't play with it. I use the Dunlop Stubby 1mm and the Ultex .73mm. But give the Jazz III a shot, it works great for a lot of people. Also make sure the notes sound separate make sure you use proper muting technique so that the strings other than the one you're picking don't ring out. Do this by using your palm to mute the lower strings, and resting your fretting hand's index over the string higher than the one you're playing. Alternate picking is difficult to master but it's worth it. Good luck.
Your trying to play too fast, too soon and that doesn't work. Pick some easier songs and hone your skills with them first, you can't just jump miles ahead on guitar, you need to set realistic short term goals and progress gradually.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Speed is basically a by-product of playing cleanly and accurately with good hand coordination and economy of motion. Stop worrying about playing things at their original tempo, focus on playing everything cleanly and accurately - once you get that nailed you'll find you'll speed up naturally.