i love the sound of my russian big muff with the tone rolled back to about 9 o'clock. the problem is that it's way to scooped and dark sounding.

what does everyone else do to get their big muff to cut through the mix. I would really like to avoid bringing the tone knob up past 11 o'clock as it gets a little trebley for my tastes.

are there any mods you can do? any other pedals you can use?

any suggestions are appreciated.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
uh turn the tone up slightly? the way you cut through the mix is having more treble/mid which is achieved by turning up the tone knob.... or get a eq pedal.
boost it with a tubescreamer, mod it to get rid of the mid scoop
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
how do u want it to not sound as dark without adding treble????? boost mids, lower treble on amp, and turn tone up on muff?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Either boost it with a TS after the BM, utilising the mid boost of the TS9, or use an EQ pedal after the BM.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Some people boost it with an OD to give it some mids.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I boost my big muff with a DS-2.Sounds flat and muddy without it.The sound of the DS-2 doesn't neccasarily cut through the big muff,just roughs it up a bit for the muff to do it's work.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
how do u want it to not sound as dark without adding treble????? boost mids, lower treble on amp, and turn tone up on muff?

this is how i do it.

it's not that difficult to work out, however i'm well aware of the possibility that the threadstarter might've found an EQ setting he likes for using without the pedal, and is trying to to get the pedal to work around his amps sound, and not vice versa. Big muffs can be a pain to work with at first, but eventually you get the hang of it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
The big muff has a scooped midrange so it is easy to sound "too dark" and "too trebly" at the same time. The tonewicker version of the big muff jumps the tonestack which gives you a significant boost in midrange and it's easy to do yourself with a dpdt switch and a couple wires. I've come up with an even simpler mod which I think sounds better it only partially bypasses the tonestack so that you can still dial out some bass or some treble. My mod uses an spdt switch 1" of wire and 1 1.5K resistor. The great thing about my mod is that it's wired to the tone pot rather than to the circuit board so it's much easier to install. If you are interested I can get you soundclips and instructions.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
The big muff has a scooped midrange so it is easy to sound "too dark" and "too trebly" at the same time. The tonewicker version of the big muff jumps the tonestack which gives you a significant boost in midrange and it's easy to do yourself with a dpdt switch and a couple wires. I've come up with an even simpler mod which I think sounds better it only partially bypasses the tonestack so that you can still dial out some bass or some treble. My mod uses an spdt switch 1" of wire and 1 1.5K resistor. The great thing about my mod is that it's wired to the tone pot rather than to the circuit board so it's much easier to install. If you are interested I can get you soundclips and instructions.

I've found the Wicker switch on the Pi version most valuable for exactly this reason. I also use an EQ pedal to boost the mids when necessary, something fairly stock standard like the Boss GE7 will do you fine
I usually run the tone at 11 o'clock on my Russian Muff for most stuff and sometimes roll it back to 10 or 11 for some stoner rock and other dronier stuff. Turn up the tone, duder.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Its a Russian Big Muff, Dark is what its supposed to do.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

+1 on the overdrive.

Does some interesting things with my Sovtek Green Russian, either in front or after.
what's a big muff (the one YOU'RE talking about )?

i would google it but i'm at work and i'm afraid of what might pop up if i do...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
I've been asked for the Big muff details via PM so here they are

My clip isn't great it gives you an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5WYmt6XvO0&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eyoutube%2Ecom%2Fuser%2Fcorduroyew&feature=player_profilepage

Here is a pic of the schematic for my mods. The cap over the volume pot and the caps over the sustain pot are both connected to the "bright" switch which is a dpdt switch. The midboost is the 1.5K resistor that is over the tone pot and that can use a spdt switch.

Here is my schematic

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx345/rockmonkeyguitars/russianmuffmods2.jpg
Not taking any online orders.