i am finding that my hotrails are too high output for me. im already using high gain, and i can hear my legato when im not even plugged in, so i think i want to change to a lower output pickup to cut some of the noise out.

anyways, is a cool rail mostly the same as a hot rail, just lower output? i think i would like to keep a rail-type pickup.

its for bridge position
i use a blackstar HT5 + metal muff + fulltone OCD
i dont think i have a real budget limit when it comes to pickups
i would like to keep the same tone, just not so high output

edit: just found tone compare chart at SD website...
Last edited by SpeedLives at Aug 12, 2009,
cool rails are voiced slightly differently. i own both and although my cool rails are in the neck position and hot rails in the bridge, the cool rails are my favorite. its a very smooth pickup for solos and tapping. but of course, with the lower output, comes lower sustain. thats my only complaint with the cool rails. check out the vintage rails as well.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
i saw on the SD tone compare chart, 5/7/4 for hotrails and 5/4/5 for cool rails. i suppose thats not so bad. im looking on google to see if i can find something closer though.

edit: i dont think those vintage rails are what im looking for. really low output with way different voicing. still searching
u can try dimarzio, but the cool rails may be as close as ur gonna get without simply turning the volume down on the guitar. just boost the mids a bit more on ur amp/pedals.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
yeah thats what it looks like im gonna end up doing.

hopefully i can find someone to trade my hotrail for a coolrail.

edit: this makes me second guess it, a review for coolrail from MusiciansFriend

"I played a Strat with a Cool Rail pickup in the bridge extensively...didn't care for it one bit. The tone is very flat...sounds just okay, but not great, when played with distortion. Very muddy though. The clean tones were just god awful. There are definitely better pickups out there, especially for the money.
Posted by the Lad from Brooklyn, NY on Nov 26, 2004"

eh...

wish i could find something on the emg hz s4. they list absolutely nothing about its specs, not even the resistance.
its all a matter of opinion. i found everything u quoted completely wrong. it is still a ceramic pickup, so the cleans wont be amazing, but they blow away the hot rails. i cant comment on the muddyness because i have mine in the neck, but if u get a 500k pot to switch out ur probably 250k one, thatll fix that.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
i guess i should switch my volume pot anyways. it doesn't work and its super scratchy. 0.-

now i just have to find a black one.

there are no other options anyways it looks like. it should be close enough.

thanks again
Well you try just lowering your Hotrails? That will lower the output...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009