Guitar Pro is great for learning songs, and sometimes organizing ideas and thoughts for later use. Sitting down in front of the computer for four hours, writing music in guitar pro without your guitar does nothing for you. That is time you could spend with your instrument, which is what a guitar player needs. Composing music on a computer screen then translating it to guitar is counter productive. It should be used as a learning tool, and a way in which to organize your musical ideas...not as a way to write music.

I don't even know if I'm allowed to post something like this, but it's whatever. This computer screen does very little for any of us. Most writers/composers we admire spent time with themselves developing a voice. Technology should be accepted, but should not be used as a crutch.

-Nick
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
no it's not okey to make a thread like this since you present it as FACT, not an opinion.

I can agree with what you say but i find GP as a great tool and writing song in it, is good since i use notation as much as possible and always have my instrument in my lap while doing it.
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
my name is nick also and i think guitar pro is amazing. not only does it help you notes to a specific song but it also teaches you timing in a sense. especially with the new RSE most tabs are close to perfect, and if i am trying to learn a song i cant figure out then i would rather learn the correct way rather than the incorrect way
incubus rocks my world
agreed. how the **** are you supposed to feel out those vibratos/etc just by point and clicking? it is a great learning tool, though. i'll give it that. my goal in the near future is to transcribe the bass grimoire in it...that way i can have any scale/mode/pattern/blah blah blah at my disposal on the go. much easier than flipping pages.
I agree with about 50% of what you say. Yes, generally to get stylistic differences and techniques GP sucks hardcore. but thats not really the point of it. its a great way to throw multiple ideas together especially if you know a little music theory and can read/write music. and anyways, i think its always good to keep an open mind and never say "Ill never use GP", cuz thats just kinda closing some musical doors.
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
I've used Guitar Pro to learn many songs, and musical passages. They are my thoughts, not fact, I can't prove what I said. It is all just speculation, but nonetheless a view I believe many musicians can see.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
I know where the OP is coming from; GP is a fantastic tool that I love but I know a few different people who just sit there and tab out all their songs instead of playing them on guitar.

Yeah it's sort of annoying but to each his own.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I used to use it a lot. It's not bad for getting ideas down. However I'm under the philosophy of "if it's good then you'll remember it."

I use it now for learning songs. I just can't get the rhythm from tabs at all.
I like GP5. I usually play something and then try to tab them out. This for me is a great learning experience. It also woke me up to the fact that I don't have much variation in my rhythms so I started to play with that within guitar pro. Now I much better at improvising rhythms. It has also helped me develop me ear, by having it play something to me, and then imagining melodies and rhythms I have become a better improviser. In fact I think because of Guitar Pro I can now create and write without it. Before it I never had any confidence in what I wrote. Recording would be preferable, but I am on a tight budget right now.