Hey UG,

First of all I used the search bar and browsed around the "Technique" forum and couldn't find any similar threads.

So let's say you have 15 minutes to warm up before a show, just you and your guitar. What exercises would you do and in what order ? And what's going through your mind as you're doing them ? (e.g. are you thinking about warming up your hands individually and then syncing them up etc.)

I think that's a question that a lot of people that are still getting their technique together would like answered.

Cheers.
my 15 minute warmup is half an hour long

i start with stretches and then some slow alternate picking, tapping and then sweep picking.

then i do it again a tiny bit faster, repeating until i can play at my usual speeds.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Dizzy-D
Hey UG,

First of all I used the search bar and browsed around the "Technique" forum and couldn't find any similar threads.

So let's say you have 15 minutes to warm up before a show, just you and your guitar. What exercises would you do and in what order ? And what's going through your mind as you're doing them ? (e.g. are you thinking about warming up your hands individually and then syncing them up etc.)

I think that's a question that a lot of people that are still getting their technique together would like answered.

Cheers.

Tough question. I'd do 5 minutes of chromatics, 5 minutes of some string-skipping exercises, 5 minutes of some arpeggio runs.. and then 5 minutes of misc. scale runs.

Slash recommended a very good warmup, actually. You don't have to play it fast (and you shouldn't if you're just warming up), but it's good for getting your circulation going. I can't post it now because it's late, but I'll edit this post later and stick the tab for it in.
I practice alternate picking 3-notes per string on various scales, I also practice wide stretches with legato to get my left hand warmed up. Then I go through some sweep sequences, using a certain scale, that's about it.
I do some stretching, like petrucci shows in the rock discipline instructional. After that I do something Joe Satriani shows on youtube:
G|-4-2-
D|-3-3-
A|-2-4-
E|-1-5- etc.
Then I do a simple lick paul gilbert uses a lot for about two minutes:
|-7---------------7-
|--10-8-7-8-10---
Then some scales, then some parts from songs I'm about to play I'm not sure about. If I still got time left, I do some warm up stuff from the intense rock instructional.
And I always wash my hands before playing guitar.

Often I'll play some random stuff too.
First the Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle, then the solo from One by Metallica usually. Covers most of the skills I use. Then a few pentatonic runs or something.
I don´t have a warm-up since getting my circulation going isnt going to work. Ever. MY blood hates me, but is warming-up before really going to play handy to if you dont use it for your circulation?
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
About one tenth of my normal warmup lol. Every chromatic permutation with every picking combination aboveand below the neck, and if really want a good warmup, I'll do it righty, or on bass. Then sweeping those permutations. The playing impulse with all upstrokes haha
First I stretch. Then I play a few variations using all four fingers on all six strings, either traveling across or across and up and down the fretboard. I'll tab them out for you if you want.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
If my hands are particularly cold, I run them under warm water. Then I just do the 1-2-3-4 up each string, then move up one fret after I do each string and do it to the 12th fret. Then I do this one thing I saw on youtube, that get's sort of this buckethead sound if you do it really fast, but it's really hard to explain.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
well i would do all of the scails going up and down faster and fast and then i would play some licks that loosen up my fingers pretty much i just play songs that get me in the bad ass mood
For 15 minutes before an actual gig? Just some simple runs and stuff, maybe some of the riffs from the show, nothing too much just to get myself loosened up and ready for it.

For a serious practice session it'd be different though, running chromatics up and down, some of the Satch chord changes, some scales with picking, arpeggios with sweeping and some more Gilbert style string skipping ideas. Nothing for any set period of time though, just run some easy stuff until I feel like I'm ready to hit the practice properly.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Ordering a beer to calm me down and then make sure im in tune before I get up on stage.
Hate when people get up there and have to tune T_T
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
Finger stretching exercises, then legato, alt picking, chords, sweeps, sweep taps, pinches.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.