O.k So my main question is. With which option could i get a better tone? My budget is ~700$.

Option 1. - A guitar for ~500-600$ (Epi LP standard for example ) and an amp for ~200$

or

Option 2. A guitar for ~200-300$ ( Squier strat for example ) and an amp for 400-500$?

Excuse me if this is a dumb/stupid question, but i want to know.
Get an epiphone Lp-100 and then get a roland cube , perfect for a beginner
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
I would agree with that. Roland Cube is the perfect amp for a beginner. Not fond of epiphone though...
It depends what you want the amp to do for you. If its only home practice then you can get a better guitar, but if you are in a band then you will need a big enough amp for that and have the rest for the best guitar you can get.
Either way, do not waste money on an Epi or a Squier. There are much better guitars around in both price ranges and in between.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by slashfan189
Get an epiphone Lp-100 and then get a roland cube , perfect for a beginner

I'm assuming this is option 2?

@Lucher

I compared the Epi LP Standard with an Ibanez Rg350dx. I prefered the Epi LP but i might reconsider to get the Ibanez since its cheaper so i might be able to afford the better amp.

Also I'm pretty sure there are better guitars in that price range, but where i live, guitars ain't popular, the selection here is very limited.

About the home practice thing, yes I'm gonna practice at home, but i want a good tone aswell, so my ears wouldn't be bleeding ( make no mistake I'm not saying the amp is all that matters, ofc how i play matters, but even if i play good on a very crappy amp, it will sound crappy )

Also, if say looking at the cheap guitars ( 200-300$ ) what guitar would you guys recommend ? I want to play Metal, Rock, Blues. Maybe if i can find one that you guys recommend, I'll check it out.

Also to give you an example of HOW small the selection is, here is our local shops list of guitars ( well the site isin't updated anymore, so there are a bit more guitars, like the Epi Lp and Squier, but that's pretty much all they have. )

http://www.hemus.lt/Instrumentai/Gitaros/Elektrines.htm

Also, 1$ = ~2.6 LT
Last edited by Shinami at Aug 12, 2009,
Well the one i had was great when i started playing electric guitar , just make sure you get one from china not korea , either that or a gibson melody maker , i heard they're cheap
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
You could go for a Yamaha Pacifica... That aside, I believe Epiphone's are fine instruments. DO NOT buy a low range Epiphone though, you will be in a world of **** when you do that. And also, properly test the guitar you're going to buy, certainly if it's an Epiphone. The difference in quality (with the same models) is sometimes astonishing.
As for an amp, I'd buy a Roland Cube (doesn't really matter which one). They sound pretty good and are versatile enough to play a very wide variety of styles at home.

EDIT: LP's are pretty suitable for Rock and Blues, maybe just a little less for Metal, but they do pretty wel there as well, I play in a Hard Rock/Metal band and use my Epiphone LP as a backup guitar.
EDIT2: And a Roland Cube will not make your ears bleed
Play the music, not the instrument.
Last edited by Larsman9000 at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by Larsman9000
You could go for a Yamaha Pacifica... That aside, I believe Epiphone's are fine instruments. DO NOT buy a low range Epiphone though, you will be in a world of **** when you do that. And also, properly test the guitar you're going to buy, certainly if it's an Epiphone. The difference in quality (with the same models) is sometimes astonishing.
As for an amp, I'd buy a Roland Cube (doesn't really matter which one). They sound pretty good and are versatile enough to play a very wide variety of styles at home.

EDIT: LP's are pretty suitable for Rock and Blues, maybe just a little less for Metal, but they do pretty wel there as well, I play in a Hard Rock/Metal band and use my Epiphone LP as a backup guitar.
EDIT2: And a Roland Cube will not make your ears bleed

Problem is that the only Roland Cube that they have is 60watts ( i think 60, and I'm not familiar with the models so I'm assuming its a cube) and its sort of out of my budget if i go for a not low end guitar.

I see people here mostly say that 90% of the tone is out of the amp, so wouldn't it be a better idea to get a not expensive guitar and a more expensive amp?
Last edited by Shinami at Aug 12, 2009,
rOland cube all the way, they are perfect for beginners.

Id say the epi les paul standard would be perfect, its a good guitar which retains its value abit more or maybe a squier classic vibe guitar, they are really good quality for the money thats leaving ur pocket
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Speaking of low-end guitar ( that would go with option 2 ), are Cort guitars any good? Well the question would be more like, what is your opinion of Cort guitars?
I've had a Schecter Omen-6 as my first guitar (still like it after 4 years), and it's great for it's price (you probably could get one for $350-400). Schecter necks are a love it or hate it, but otherwise they are great, unexpensive guitars, so if money is a matter you should definitely look for one of these.
us buying used an option? if that was the case you could get a pretty good guitar for around 50-450, then that leaves at least 250 for an amp, and assuming you dont want a huge amp, you can get pretty good 15watt amps for that price.
Quote by SunDrop
us buying used an option? if that was the case you could get a pretty good guitar for around 50-450, then that leaves at least 250 for an amp, and assuming you dont want a huge amp, you can get pretty good 15watt amps for that price.

Well my only option to get a used one would be to buy from Ebay, but somehow i don't trust them. Is it often that you get scammed, or if say shipping from U.S to Europe you get it broken?
I would get a Squier CV strat for $350 and a Fender super champ XD 15W tube amp for $300 if I were you
But i still haven't got the answer i was looking for

Again, back to the question, what will have a better tone, a Decent guitar played through a not so decent amp, or a not so decent guitar played through a decent amp?
Quote by Shinami
But i still haven't got the answer i was looking for

Again, back to the question, what will have a better tone, a Decent guitar played through a not so decent amp, or a not so decent guitar played through a decent amp?

crappy guitar through good amp is better than good guitar through crappy amp.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
A decent guitar through a decent amp will sound the best, a decent guitar through a bad amp will still sound bad.
Thank you both, guess option 2 is the way to go ^_^

Also, i wish i could, but i currently can't afford a decent guitar AND amp.
Quote by Shinami
Thank you both, guess option 2 is the way to go ^_^

Also, i wish i could, but i currently can't afford a decent guitar AND amp.

If you can only afford Either AMP OR Guitar but not both, get the AMP.
If you already have an entry level guitar, it's pointless to get a 2nd one.

Get the good amp, save more, then get good guitar.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Quote by darkcheef
I say no to #2, I absolutely hate the epiphone 100 and it is just overpriced

No no no I'm not getting a low end epi, i know they suck ^_^ I was looking at our local shops catalog, i was thinking about a Cort X-6. Looks decent, listened to some demos on youtube, sound good, just gotta go and try it out myself.