I was thinking of taking this old guitar of mine and trying to build an overdrive effect into the guitar itself, which could then be triggered by a switch.
I'm completely new to modding, but not to building circuits. What would be any downsides of having a small overdrive circuit + battery in the guitar?

EDIT: I'm basically trying to get rid of the need of lugging stompboxes around everywhere, except for complex effects like digital delay, flangers etc. and have one or two effects built into the guitar itself.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 12, 2009,
youd run the risk of ruining your guitar
itd probably lower the sustain (having a massive block of wood cut out of your guitar)
sounds pretty risky for someone whos completely new to modding, but i dont know anything about modding either so.
Quote by kthxbi
itd probably lower the sustain (having a massive block of wood cut out of your guitar)
sounds pretty risky for someone whos completely new to modding, but i dont know anything about modding either so.

A word of advice for the future. If you don't know about something, dont post about it! It doesn't help the OP at all and in fact it places unnecessary doubt into his mind.

TS: Putting effects into guitars is widely done by many people. Depending on the size of the cavities, you may be able to just pop the curcuit in without any routing. A simple OD circuit should be able to fit into the cavity and you may be able to fit the 9v battery in aswell. If you can build circuits then thats great. Check the size of your guitar cavities and see if you can fit it in there. If not you may have to do a bit of routing, but if you read up on it and practise on scrap, then you should be fine (or get someone with a router and experience to help you- even better)

Just pick which OD you want to put in.
It's cheaper in the long run to just have one overdrive pedal you can use with any guitar, than to have to put one in each guitar you buy.

If you really want to do something like this, buy a small booster or something, which has a tiny PCB and is designed to fit into a control cavity. No matter how neat you are, you're not going to beat a compact PCB like on these:

Quote by -MintSauce-
It's cheaper in the long run to just have one overdrive pedal you can use with any guitar, than to have to put one in each guitar you buy.

If you really want to do something like this, buy a small booster or something, which has a tiny PCB and is designed to fit into a control cavity. No matter how neat you are, you're not going to beat a compact PCB like on these:

in the long run it would also be cheaper to have a squier guitar and an MG amp, but I'm going for what's pracitcal, and for mobility and set-up speed I think the in-guitar effects would be pretty damn useful. I'm looking into maybe even putting multi-effect circuitry in my guitar, but I'm still reading on the technology behind it.
would having an elaborate circuit in my guitar kill the tone? keep in mind the cable lengths would be very short.
EDIT: nevermind, that's a stupid question. anykind of digital effect inside the guitar would need an analog/digital converter, that's ridiculous.
Why is it ridiculous? It works in 9V compact pedals, and you could just strip that out and mount in the guitar.

Also, it's more practical to set your chain up, then change guitar with you setup intact, than to have to make sure that all of the in-guitar effects are set-up properly. When you're lugging around a few guitars and an amp, having one or two extra pedals isn't exactly a problem, relatively speaking.
Quote by kthxbi

do me a favour and get out of gb and c im getting fed up with all the negativity in here lately

good luck with the project corey , i might do something similar in the future

be sure to post pics
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Yeah, the first active circuit I ever built was an LPB-1 boost, that I mounted in a Harmony strat. It's really not hard to do at all.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb