Page 1 of 2
~general discussion thread~

PARTICIPANTS SIGN UP DEADLINE - 16th august [deadline reached]
START DATE - 16th august
JUDGES SIGN UP DEADLINE - 12th september
PIECE SUBMISSION DEADLINE - 12th september

(i'll create a submissions thread and a judges thread nearer the deadline)
please dont submit your pieces in here

>this competition is a singles game; no teams.
>vocal melodies will be allowed however i dont recommend them (see judging criteria).
>please only submit a piece of music written specifically for this competition - dont reuse a song you already have.
>if you see your display name in the list below, and dont want to compete/judge, please post in this thread, saying you're out.
>if you would like to participate/judge, please post in this thread, saying you want to.

scoring system
participants will recieve scores (marked 1 to 10) in these three categories (similar to the PHC comp):
1 Creativity
Be original. If a piece is generic and bland, then it shouldn't score well in this category. If it's fresh, unique, individual, like nothing you've heard before, then it should score highly in this category.
2 Quality
Dont rush the creation of your music. Have variety, and try not to have the same riff over and over again. Make sure to keep your song interesting, and try to perfect your song. To have a good quality song, you could use lots of intricate tracks, or use studio effects like panning or instrument changes.
3 Accuracy
If you submit a death metal song, its not going to go down well. Neither is a bass guitar playing 16th note jumps from 1st fret to 24th. Make your piece realistic, and keep it jazz fusion. I warned you about using vocal melodies because some jazz-fusion-enthusiast-judges may consider them not a part of jazz fusion.

then, to get the average, add these three scores together and divide by three.
put all four numbers in your post, so participants can see where they needed to improve their pieces to get a higher score. A bit of constructive criticism might be nice too : )

Bands to listen to for inspiration (thanks to Progbass92)
Cynic (jazz+death metal)
Atheist(their "Elements" album is fusion, jazz+death metal)
Gordian Knot (jazz+prog rock/metal)
Exivious (again, jazz+prog)
Return to Forever (jazz+rock+a little funk)
Guthrie Govan (jazz+prog)
Al DiMeola(jazz+latin/rock)
Weather Report (jazz+avant garde+some rock)
Yellow Jackets (jazz+some rock)

however, just because this list mainly comprises of jazz+rock/metal bands, dont be afraid to try something new. Howabout jazz+reggae, jazz+metalcore, or jazz+motown? Do whatever you want, just keep it jazzy ; )

good luck everyone : )

participants
|_JR_|
Progbass92
ankthebank
Its_Rock77
lordofthefood1
DaGiantBorgGeko
RedDeath9
nbgreat
icronic
uncreativelolol
druzic
Madzää

judges
Psychaberration
MapOfYourHead
Jake the Peg
Last edited by Jake the Peg at Sep 1, 2009,
Ahem... I'd suggest keeping this comp open for signups for a few more days, specially since the "official" thread was opened only today, and there might be a few more people interested in joining (I know of at least one)... until Sunday or something, would that be ok?

(plus, I only see 9 people in the list, not too many, some more wouldn't hurt)
fair enough

ill edit it in
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Hmm... I'm thinking of entering I can still join right?

yep : )
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Well I'll just fuse jazz with a'capella. How about that judges! hah.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
lol go for it mate, good luck with that one.
you'd get points for originality...
ill gladly judge if you'd let me.
you're on the list.
i was getting worried no-one'd want to
Quote by Jake the Peg
you're on the list.
i was getting worried no-one'd want to

ive played a lot of jazz and jazz fusion over the years, just not the best writer of it haha so judging would be perfect.
presuming thats to participate, not judge
Quote by Jake the Peg
lol go for it mate, good luck with that one.
you'd get points for originality...

haha, I'm not going to, I most likely won't even do a vocal track, I'm just for allowing it.
Now say his name.....
fighting for your freedom of expression?
campaigning against censorship? : P
Quote by lordofthefood1
Well I'll just fuse jazz with a'capella. How about that judges! hah.

I would praise you forever if you did
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
I'm thinking about it. I wrote a sweet set of chords awhile ago and never got to use them. I thought today, "Oh, I'll just arpeggio them on piano." Then I realize, "Damn, these are good chords." Then I realize, "Shit, this is the piano in the outro of White Walls (Between the Buried and Me)." I might try vocals, but yeah, I'll need some practice.
Now say his name.....
Jazz fused with death metal/melodeath anyone?

Count me in, I work better with jazz (been playing it for ages).
Quote by uncreativelolol
Jazz fused with death metal/melodeath anyone?

Count me in, I work better with jazz (been playing it for ages).

cynic you mean?

and if you disagree you would find that it's very hard to write much more death-influenced without losing the fusion part altogether.
seeing that the judges section is relativly void of life, i'll sign up to be a judge.

been listening to many form of fusion for a while now.
Quote by Psychaberration
cynic you mean?

and if you disagree you would find that it's very hard to write much more death-influenced without losing the fusion part altogether.

Cynic is most def what I was getting at, my friend. 8)
Sing me up, please.

My piece is ready for submission.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
due to lack of judges i'll be one.
well its sunday, so feel free to start everyone
good luck
Quote by Progbass92
When's the submission thread going to be put up? Don't let this one die, people.

dont worry, i wont -
made one now.
So... anyone started on this yet?

I haven't because a few days ago I began this prog-metal doodle, and it's past 5 minutes long now... ...not that good either, but keeps me busy. Yeah, holidays have been kinda slow.

For this comp I'm hoping to do something reeeeally messed up
wow, I completely forgot about this. I might get working maybe.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
I really want this to work i love jazz/fusion
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
*keeping thread alive so people dont forget about it*
Quote by |_JR_|
Hey, I didn't forget about it!

The other prog metal doodle is done, now I'm starting on this one. xD

its not just you, JR.
i dont want this thread to die just yet.
hope its all going well (Y)
Live!
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE