hello i am a lefty but i play the guitar for the righty way and seems my picking is slow how can i speed up my picking or should i buy a lefty guitar or become ambidextrous

practice practice practice - then practice some more. with a metronome, with a song, with string skipping etc.

if you switch to lefty guitar then surely you'd have problems with not having a dextrous enough fretting hand which imo is more of an issue.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I'm left handed and I play a right handed guitar, it actually worked out better for me, as my more dexterious hand does more work, and my right just strums. It just comes with time and practice.
Quote by TheShred201
In case anyone needs confidence in ones ability to play "right handed guitar" though a left handed person--Mattias Eklundh. He's an amazing guitarist, is left handed, but plays what is considered right handed guitar.

You learn something new everyday.

Also, to be fair, Eklundh's left hand does a lot more work than his right in most cases. A lot more.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Quote by yhuji123
hello i am a lefty but i play the guitar for the righty way and seems my picking is slow how can i speed up my picking or should i buy a lefty guitar or become ambidextrous

I'm the same way, except for the slow picking. It really comes down to practicing. If playing "left handed" Feels more comfortable, just go with it. But if you stay with right handed you have the advantage of having a naturally better fretting hand
I hate my sig
Quote by TheShred201
In case anyone needs confidence in ones ability to play "right handed guitar" though a left handed person--Mattias Eklundh. He's an amazing guitarist, is left handed, but plays what is considered right handed guitar.

This and Michael Angelo Batio.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I would agree with everyone else and say just practice a lot. If you really need help play with a song or a metronome. I'm not sure if your talking about just picking or alternate picking, if you have tried alternate picking give it a shot and see if it helps.
You can speed up your picking by doing alternate picking exercises.

Try to be the most efficient with your picking movement as possible. Keep your elbow from moving. You should just be moving your wrist. This is a fundamental speed picking exercise. I still find myself practicing this a lot though.
Michael Angelo Batio is another left-handed player who plays with his right hand. The above exercise is a great way to improve your picking technique, and try to pick solely from your wrist. Try to make every note sound clear. Don't anchor your hand on the guitar. Angle the pick a bit.
Of course it's slow, you've not been playing long.

Speed takes a LOOOOOOONG time to achieve - just be patient and concentrate on playing accurately and cleanly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Of course it's slow, you've not been playing long.

Speed takes a LOOOOOOONG time to achieve - just be patient and concentrate on playing accurately and cleanly.

are you sure? I sometimes practiced for months on end without making ANY progress. then there's my little brother who's been playing only a couple of months and can alternate pick faster than me.
maybe I'm picking wrong, as in wrong technique? I'm picking only from my wrist, but I always have my palm against the bridge
Quote by CoreysMonster
are you sure? I sometimes practiced for months on end without making ANY progress. then there's my little brother who's been playing only a couple of months and can alternate pick faster than me.
maybe I'm picking wrong, as in wrong technique? I'm picking only from my wrist, but I always have my palm against the bridge

Firstly: different people progress in different ways and at different rates, you can't compare yourself to other people.

Secondly: It is possible your technique is holding you back but we can't judge that without a video.

Thirdly: Your brother may be able to pick to your ears but we may think differently, his playing may be sloppy and unrefined with poor tone and horrible technique.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Firstly: different people progress in different ways and at different rates, you can't compare yourself to other people.

Secondly: It is possible your technique is holding you back but we can't judge that without a video.

Thirdly: Your brother may be able to pick to your ears but we may think differently, his playing may be sloppy and unrefined with poor tone and horrible technique.

nah, I've been playing 6 years guitar, and 15 years piano, I'm no noob I just can never get my right hand alternative picking speed up.

oh yeah, and I'm a lefty playing right also, whereas my brother's a righty playing right.
Quote by CoreysMonster
nah, I've been playing 6 years guitar, and 15 years piano, I'm no noob I just can never get my right hand alternative picking speed up.

oh yeah, and I'm a lefty playing right also, whereas my brother's a righty playing right.

Well then it may very well be your technique, the key things are to make sure your movements are as small as you can make them and you're very relaxed when you're doing it, excess tension and movement are the enemies!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Freepower
And Steve Morse and John Wheatcroft.

It's just practice - picking well is hard.

and shawn lane and dave kilminster lol
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by CoreysMonster

lefty playing right doesnt really matter tbh. i'm lefty. i play right. i can just about everything right handed. 'cept throw well. as a lefty you and about a quarter to a third right hand. the world doesnt cater to leftys. even note paper is designed for rightys. hole to the left. do you hold your pick at an angle or is it parallel to the string? the angle makes the sound like ass sometimes. if you wanna improve picking speed, start learning arpeggio'd riffs. they sound badass and you will improve right handed accuracy and speed. start with slower ones and move up. i've only played for about 2 and a half years. i'm no where near as good as i'd hoped. a lot of times you improv when you aren't focussing and are just dicking around, kinda like writing riffs. at least that's how it is for me.... i hoped this helped dude.
Quote by CoreysMonster

I notice improvement every time I play. If I didn't I would be sad If you don't notice any improvement then you're not improving. Well, you are, but who cares if you're slow. Which way does your brother play? Which hand is his dominant?
Quote by CoreysMonster

Piano and guitar might be similar, but are very different. Also, everyone is a noob at guitar. It doesn't matter if you've played 1 year or 40. Everyone is still learning and everyone is still evolving because the guitar is an evolving instrument. Remember, the electric guitar hasn't been around for centuries, where as the piano has been around since the period of Chopin and Debussy, even earlier than that.

Also, just because you're a lefty playing righty doesn't mean anything. Don't compare yourself to other guitarists, because everyone is different. Just like how no two guitars are the same even if they appear to be the same, no two guitarists are the same, nor will they learn the same.
first of all, make sure you're holding the pick right, (angle n whatnot) and picking correctly(freepower probably has a lesson on it)
then practice.
TILL YOU BLEED.
okay not that hard. But practice until you've got it.

also masturbation makes your wrist faster +_+
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
Quote by eddievanzant
I notice improvement every time I play. If I didn't I would be sad If you don't notice any improvement then you're not improving. Well, you are, but who cares if you're slow. Which way does your brother play? Which hand is his dominant?

You're probably unique amongst the world's guitar playing community then.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com