Ok, so I'm in the market for a new guitar, as I am unsatisfied with my Squire Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster. I have $200 (I know the title says $400, but bear with me) and I was originally thinking of getting an Agile AL-2000, but a local music store is having a half off all guitars/amps/drums sale this weekend, and I thought it would be a good opportunity to get a guitar that I don't have to set up (and also with numerous other benefits that buying from a dealer entails).

I play Indie/Alternative, Blues, and Rock, so I was thinking of something that gives a heavy, thick, but not harsh sound (DO NOT request metal guitars such as Schecter, Jackson, Dean, etc.). That being said, I was thinking of a Les Paul or Les Paul-style guitar, an SG (G-400), or some really sick looking hollowbody, like an Ibanez Artcore or Epiphone Dot.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
LTD? Hagstrom has some nice hollowbodys like the Viking. Dots are pretty decent I think. PRS SE? you have to try i guess...
Epiphone Les Paul Studio AW Ltd Run
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Harley Benton 2X12" (Celestion V 30s)
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive CO1
Marshall Reflector RF1
Digitech Hardwire HW DL 8 Delay/Looper
Honestly I'm kind of surprised you bought a Strat expecting a Thick sound, that's classic Les Paul territory man, unless you pop in some Texas pickups in your Strat but hey sh*t happens. Anyway for your genres a semi hollow would be absolutely perfect, the Dot would be good, Artcores are nice if you want a full hollowbody (nice full warm sound but be careful near high gain rigs FEEDBACK!) Also look at Gretsch Electromatic guitars, also full hollow body guitars the Artcores are kind of knock offs of Gretsch. for Solid bodies check out Les Pauls, and SGs pretty cool guitars but seriously for the same cash a AL 2000 would blow those guitars out of the water. Even more so if you save up for a AL 3000, Gibson Standard features for 400 bucks, crazy? Yeah it is.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Just go in to the store before the sale and try out as many guitars as you can. Pick up one, then try another, and whichever of the two you like better, keep that one off the rack and compare it to the next. After you've tried them all out you should probably have a few guitars that you like, which is when you look at prices (I would say even if they are still above your price range give them a shot as long as they aren't doubling your price tag after the sale). This way you should know exactly what you want beforehand and then you can just walk in and grab that one before someone else does and spend the rest of the day enjoying it.
^This because you're going to be buying from your local shop.

We don't know the stock of the shop so many guitars we suggest may not even be at the place. Just go in on the day of the sale, grab a guitar and play it. Repeat until you find one that feels and sounds right to you.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
The Ibanez AG75 seems to be what I'm looking for as far as looks go, but does it have tonal values that are comparable to, say, a Les Paul? (again, going for the smooth, thick sound.)

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
So you tried to get a thick heavy tone from a thin SSS guitar built for cleaner stuff...
^ No. I got the Strat for Christmas as my first guitar. I didn't know I was getting it, so I didn't have much say in what guitar I would get. I wasn't trying to get a heavy sound out of a Strat.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Ibanez SZ or SZR or whatever they call them now. They are just simple solid guitars. Work great for rock and I'm sure they will do well with all other genres. Ibanez has great semi and hollow bodies. The you will be able to get your fat, think tones out of them. Just don't lay down too much gain or you could get feedback issues.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
I suggest this to everyone and I'm not sure if everyone cares, but I mean I have this guitar and I love it. It's the Epiphone '66 G-400 Limited Edition SG. I got it for $300, but now its $400, still in your budget though.....

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Standard-S.O.R-Electric-Guitar?sku=512455

Hope I can help!
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
just get anything with humbuckers. I would say a squire telecaster custom, thats what i would get if i had money left over.