Running through a Cube 30 on the rectifier settings.

Currently learning For the Love of God. My guitar can't seem to sustain the notes as long as Vai does without decay.

Is it because i'm not using enough distortion/delay/reverb or is it something to do with volume? (volume is set to 9'o clock, gain at 1'o clock, no delay/reverb)
Last edited by Timothongz at Aug 12, 2009,
I believe Steve Vai plays that song with a Fernandez Sustainer installed, I know his higher-end jems have that.
Get a better amp, you need to be ably to play with the feedback.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Don't think he plays with a sustainer on that song, many covers on youtube don't utilise anything like that.
well you can fake sustain by adding a little delay to your tone.

but the sustainer along with the fact that his axes are probably set up SOOOO nice also probably have a lot to do with it, though...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by konfyouzd

but the sustainer along with the fact that his axes are probably set up SOOOO nice also probably have a lot to do with it, though...

Not to mention that well, He's Steve Vai....duh!

Skill and Technique are MAJOR contributors to Sustain..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by steven seagull

I agree, that will help, BUT, I can play that song with no problem so far as sustain goes through the same amp, with any of my guitars.

TS, Vibrato will help sustain, and Vai uses a lot of it in that song. My amp setting has virtually no gain, on the rectifier channel, with quite a lot of treble and mids, bass is up to around 8.5'o'clock.

What guitar are you using, what bridge + bodywood etc?

EDIT: Sorry, from the title, you're using a JEM? Which one?
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by jonmo1
Not to mention that well, He's Steve Vai....duh!

Skill and Technique are MAJOR contributors to Sustain..

very true. i've been watching him play and it looks like he's VERY careful about how he plays EVERYTHING. i'd say the way he vibratos probably has a lot to do with his sustain (as others have said) along with the fact that his guitars kick ass.

i've actually tried to mimic his sustain based on what it looks like he's doing and i've gotten different amounts of sustain depending on how i do it. i'm not good at it like him, but it definitely seems to be a contributing factor to his awesomeness...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Using a JEM7v, which would be the same exact model as him.

I'll try to improve my vibrato technique. Its probably the main source of the lack of sustain, as i've noticed sometimes i can sustain longer than usual.
You've all go it wrong, it's the faces he makes that add so much sustain...
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Timothongz
Using a JEM7v, which would be the same exact model as him.

I'll try to improve my vibrato technique. Its probably the main source of the lack of sustain, as i've noticed sometimes i can sustain longer than usual.

it's the production model. i don't think it's technically the "same exact" one he plays. aren't his alder bodied with ebony boards? aren't the production models basswood with rosewood boards?

this of course is splitting hairs. check your technique first and foremost. then TRY other amps and see if you notice a difference. also, like i said earlier, try adding a tiny bit of delay. it'll give the illusion of having more sustain for the time being.

if none of that works, check your setup and check your technique again.

Quote by Metalfan41
You've all go it wrong, it's the faces he makes that add so much sustain...

shh... you're not supposed to tell.
Last edited by konfyouzd at Aug 12, 2009,
Production models are alder with rosewood fingerboards, previously the fingerboards were ebony. I think he changed his ebony to rosewood so the production models followed suit.
ahh they are alder. my bad. i guess they're not so different after all.
It's the volume issue.

you don't get sustain like that with a cheap amp on low volume.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
^

absolutely ESSENTIAL... mine is in the mail as we speak.
He used a sustainer on this tune, that is fact. The Jem pickups have excellent sustain you wont do any better replacing them
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Quote by Devon8822
He used a sustainer on this tune, that is fact. The Jem pickups have excellent sustain you wont do any better replacing them

Are you sure? All the vids I can find of him live, at least, he is not using a sust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp1fLW-DS8Q

That's the music vid, and no sustainer...(Also, i'm fairly sure this song was recorded with a universe, not a jem, but that's no big deal really, vai's have identical specs beyond the strings i think)
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by konfyouzd
ahh they are alder. my bad. i guess they're not so different after all.

The new Steve Vai Signature looks like this:

Maybe its the tight end bridge?
And its made out of basswood.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
The new Steve Vai Signature looks like this:

Maybe its the tight end bridge?
And its made out of basswood.

IDK what the hell that is, but I guarantee that Vai doesn't use one. He would be lost without a trem
For the Love of God was recorded with a Universe, which probably had Blazes in it. No sustainer.

TS, I've heard that a Tremsetter will increase your sustain, so I'd get one of those (Vai uses an Ibanez Backstop in his guitars, which is essentially two Tremsetters, but they're discontinued).
Oh it´s his new brand new signature for his brand new album

you clearly have no idea whats going on.

Also, I like black.

No *sarcasm*

Also, I like black.

The original version of For the Love of God was recorded with his JEM without a sustainer PU in it. Now in some of the newer live version he might utilize the sustain PU at times but in the original recoded version he did not use one.

His standard JEM (Flo to be exact) is the guitar that was used...back in 1990 I think. And this info is straight from the Passion & Warfare tab book. It tells you all about the gear he used for each individual song.

And Vai use a JEM without a floyde and no Evo PU's???? I think not!!! That's prob the low end version of his guitar.
Last edited by srob7001 at Aug 12, 2009,
it was recorded with a universe if I remember rightly.

it uses the low b string doesn't it?

edit: http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar036.html
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
This is the best answer.

Cranked tube amp = feedback = sustain
Quote by Lemoninfluence
it was recorded with a universe if I remember rightly.

it uses the low b string doesn't it?

edit: http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar036.html

Well I'll be damned, my book is wrong then if that link is correct. My book says he used flo....I always figured he used some sort of effect to imulate the B string for those few parts in the song, as he used the Eventide Harmonizer ALOT!!!!
Quote by srob7001
The original version of For the Love of God was recorded with his JEM without a sustainer PU in it. Now in some of the newer live version he might utilize the sustain PU at times but in the original recoded version he did not use one.

His standard JEM (Flo to be exact) is the guitar that was used...back in 1990 I think. And this info is straight from the Passion & Warfare tab book. It tells you all about the gear he used for each individual song.

And Vai use a JEM without a floyde and no Evo PU's???? I think not!!! That's prob the low end version of his guitar.

thats was the prototype

Also, I like black.

You need to do this.

My Gear:

2008 Squier Affinity Telecaster (Special Edition Butterscotch Blonde)
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Marshall MG15CD
Quote by fulham_phil
You need to do this.

Gotta have the sustainer PU for that technique.

Vai and his crazy antics. I can honestly say I have never been to a more enjoyable show that his. I've seen him 4 times live now and he just gets better and better. Show off? Yes! But who wants to watch someone just stand there and play? NOT ME.

Seeing him play Fire Garden Suite on the G3 tour after he just released Fire Garden was what really made me get serious about my playing.
well my jem holds it`s sustain very well try raising the action very slightly, and he didn`t use Flo or any sustainer on the passion and warfare cd

+1 to seagull for suggesting a better amp it`s the built in fx that are holding you back, you need a tube amp so the harmonics can cut through.

steve has mastered feedback and know where to stand precisley to get the feedback controlled to the extent that the feedback becomes melodic.
Try a little more distortion, a little reverb, and then try adjusting the action and intonation a little
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
You need feedback. Something loud. But not an ENGL, they feedback like **** (they are too well made). Get a Marshall amp.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
You need feedback. Something loud. But not an ENGL, they feedback like **** (they are too well made). Get a Marshall amp.
Why mention it then?

(Certain types of) feedback is actually a desirable quality and sign of a well built amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSmVcxG6SGA

Go to 1:23. That's the kind of feedback that the TS needs.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 12, 2009,