Page 1 of 2
Here's a thought...

You know that technology in tennis where players can challenge a line call, and then the computer does it's crazy thing and says whether it really was in or out?

Why have other sports not adopted this technology? It could be used for the Volleyball lines, or foul balls in baseball?

Either way it's pretty cool.

What do you think any other applications?

EDIT: Soccer came up:

Is there a technology that could be implemented which could call offsides? A camera snapshot? Is this already being used?
Quote by Yakult
Shooting mice is the equivalent to smoking weed: it's fun and seemingly harmless, but before you know it, you're shooting smack into every vein and murdering children left right and center.

GeEbZ.
Last edited by Geebz at Aug 12, 2009,
I thought they just went and checked where the print was.

But I've been saying for years that soccer linesmen need cameras. I remember during the world cup 06 where that brazilian guy pushed an opponent over when the ref wasn't looking, but the cameras caught it. if the refs had that camera that asshole would've gotten red for sure.
Wow an '01er, I'm impressed, really. And, I've never heard of this, maybe because I hardly watch tennis, or any other sport.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
It's called Hawk eye?

It was started in Cricket or something was it not?
just about the only relevance cricket has to the modern age lololololololololol

But yeah, it should be used in more sports. It wouldn't be hard.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I thought they just went and checked where the print was.

But I've been saying for years that soccer linesmen need cameras. I remember during the world cup 06 where that brazilian guy pushed an opponent over when the ref wasn't looking, but the cameras caught it. if the refs had that camera that asshole would've gotten red for sure.

That would ruin football. Because the game would be starting and stopping every 10 seconds. It should only be used on the goal lines.
Quote by pHaKe
Wow an '01er, I'm impressed, really. And, I've never heard of this, maybe because I hardly watch tennis, or any other sport.

Yes, one of the many few '01er's still hanging around. Many would get scared away but my brain has become numb.
Quote by Yakult
Shooting mice is the equivalent to smoking weed: it's fun and seemingly harmless, but before you know it, you're shooting smack into every vein and murdering children left right and center.

GeEbZ.
Quote by Geebz
Yes, one of the many few '01er's still hanging around. Many would get scared away but my brain has become numb.

Well, I'd bet after 8+ years of UG
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Quote by tattyreagh
That would ruin football. Because the game would be starting and stopping every 10 seconds. It should only be used on the goal lines.

wtf why would it be stopped every 10 seconds? it would only be stopped during fouls and disputes of violence, when it's stopped anyway.
I laughed when I saw this because I remember when it was used in cricket and they said is was unsporting to suggest someone would cheat when a catch was disputed
The reason it has not been implemented in baseball is because of "tradition" and all that good stuff. The old guys from back in the day say it will ruin the game. The umpires just became allowed to check if a home run was fair or foul even though they have had that technology for years...
Quote by JackalUK
I laughed when I saw this because I remember when it was used in cricket and they said is was unsporting to suggest someone would cheat when a catch was disputed

So it started in cricket, being used to dispute catches??
Quote by Yakult

GeEbZ.
Quote by Geebz
So it started in cricket, being used to dispute catches??

Pretty sure it was used for LBW decisions.
It's used for LBW, but they use recorded video if a catch is disputed
It would ruin football. There wouldn't be anything for those idiots to beat each other up about.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
It would ruin football. There wouldn't be anything for those idiots to beat each other up about.

The fans or the players?
Quote by CoreysMonster
wtf why would it be stopped every 10 seconds? it would only be stopped during fouls and disputes of violence, when it's stopped anyway.

Only during fouls, ok? How many fouls are there during a match? 50 at least. Each foul will stop the game for 30 seconds to check the camera and punish the player etc. So there is 25 mins gone already. The ball is only in play for about 45 mins per game, so now we have 20 minutes of proper football.
Quote by JackalUK
They can still throw coins at the referee though

I'm pretty sure that's a sport in itself.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
every sport could use it, but then some of the fun would be diminished, in hockey, football, and rugby if every act of violence was caught then there'd be no fights, and hockey fights are a very important part of the game.
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
They have video ref. in Rugby, that helps(sometimes). Why they can't just use sensor in the balls that tell you when it is out. This technology is possible and exists yet they still don't use it.
Anyways, I want to snazz up football/soccer by playing on uneven ground, like a steep hill or a ditch. Also arm the players with blunt weaponary and a chariot, yeah now that I would watch.

I played paintball soccer when I went paintballing last, that should be played more.
He who knows all, knows nothing in the eye of a imbecile.
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
every sport could use it, but then some of the fun would be diminished, in hockey, football, and rugby if every act of violence was caught then there'd be no fights, and hockey fights are a very important part of the game.

...What?

Do you try to be an idiot?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
It was talked about in football but many are against it, claiming it 'interrupts play.'
Tbh I think we need it, the past few seasons in Scotland have been hellish, so many games decided on bad calls.
Not just for offsides and throw ins, but for other reasons as well.
Rangers played Hibs at the end of last season (second last game, very important) and we had a goal disallowed on account of it 'not crossing the line - Photo and we lost out on 2 points due to that decision.

Also for incidents referees cannot see eg. bad tackles and off the ball incidents could be done with being looked at there and then rather than at panels months later.
RULE BRITANNIA
Last edited by Cobain_Is_King at Aug 12, 2009,
if players knew they were on camera all the time maybe we WOULDN'T have the fail football we have today, with players diving every two minutes. they'd know they wouldn't get away with it anymore.
Quote by tattyreagh
Only during fouls, ok? How many fouls are there during a match? 50 at least. Each foul will stop the game for 30 seconds to check the camera and punish the player etc. So there is 25 mins gone already. The ball is only in play for about 45 mins per game, so now we have 20 minutes of proper football.

They could just stop the clock at each one like in rugby.

Oh and ^ they do have thousands of HD tv cameras pointed at them, they're just ignorant snobbish pricks.
He who knows all, knows nothing in the eye of a imbecile.
Last edited by AlienMetalhead at Aug 12, 2009,
The Prem planned to use goal line technology this season but Fifa gave it the boot

I'm all for
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by Geebz
Here's a thought...

You know that technology in tennis where players can challenge a line call, and then the computer does it's crazy thing and says whether it really was in or out?

Why have other sports not adopted this technology? It could be used for the Volleyball lines, or foul balls in baseball?

Either way it's pretty cool.

What do you think any other applications?

EDIT: Soccer came up:

Is there a technology that could be implemented which could call offsides? A camera snapshot? Is this already being used?

Yeah. It takes up too much time because in most other sports theres no practical way to make a 100% right decision (assuming that the technology is right 100% of the time) because of other rules and decisions involved. It always starts as just checking one thing but then it moves on to checking if another rule was broken and so on and so forth until it depends on a third ref (video ref if you will) to make that decision. Because of the human factor, there is the chance that the third ref will get it wrong anyway because of stupid rule interpretations and/or unclear vision and/or inconclusive evidence.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by rabidguitarist
...What?

Do you try to be an idiot?

huh?
hockey fights are important
there's a reason why you don't get ejected, just a 5 minute penalty where both teams still play 5 on 5

do you try to start fights on the internet?
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Quote by AlienMetalhead
They could just stop the clock at each one like in rugby.

Oh and ^ they do have thousands of HD tv cameras pointed at them, they're just ignorant snobbish pricks.

They should, without or without a camera
Quote by lifesuckstomuch

I only try to start fights with idiots.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by Bendybaws
The Prem planned to use goal line technology this season but Fifa gave it the boot

I'm all for

Really? Quality FIFA ideas.

"Sepp, Sepp! We can bring football into the 21st century!"
"Errr.. Hold on while I finish jacking off to a game of women's football. Infuriatingly, their shorts are too long."
".. Done, Sepp?"
"Yes, yes, now this technology you speak of? It's nonsense. Make the woman's shorts very short and maybe we do a deal.."
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
huh?
hockey fights are important
there's a reason why you don't get ejected, just a 5 minute penalty where both teams still play 5 on 5

Ice hockey is played on a hockey rink. During normal play, there are six players, including one goaltender, per side on the ice at any time, each of whom is on ice skates. The objective of the game is to score goals by shooting a hard vulcanized rubber disc, the puck, into the opponent's goal net, which is placed at the opposite end of the rink. The players may control the puck using a long stick with a blade that is commonly curved at one end.

How odd, I see nothing in here about fighting...

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Quote by rabidguitarist

Maybe you should go to the US congress!

*ba-dum tish*
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
It's only there for the benefit of the TV in cricket, so you can see whether the umpire was right or not with LBW decisions and also those quality graphics where it shows where every delivery has pitched and where it was on the batsmen, etc.

The only useful purpose for it in football would be for goal-line decisions. You couldn't use it for offsides (the equipment is fixed, for a start), throw-ins, etc - It would just hold the game up and it would end up lasting 5 hours.
Quote by rabidguitarist

well then look elsewhere sir, in a battle of wits, you'd be quite surprised what this "dumb hick American" can bring to the table
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

Quote by lifesuckstomuch
well then look elsewhere sir, in a battle of wits, you'd be quite surprised what this "dumb hick American" can bring to the table

Steaks?
Quote by MushroomBomb

How odd, I see nothing in here about fighting...

They need something to make their rubbish sports interesting.
Quote by urbanfox
The only useful purpose for it in football would be for goal-line decisions. You couldn't use it for offsides (the equipment is fixed, for a start), throw-ins, etc - It would just hold the game up and it would end up lasting 5 hours.

Can't cricket games last for a ridiculously long time?
Quote by Yakult

GeEbZ.
Page 1 of 2