Hey, i wanna have my guitar set-up but don't have the money to pay for it right now. Any tips on what i should be doing. Like, how do i get low acton without fret buzz? ANd just any other helpful tips. Do i need to take off my strings before i muck aroud with action?
dont take the strings off, you need them on to judge if it needs adjusting again. Do however loosen them.
I'd have to say though its better to get in done properly. I tried a slight adjustment on my xiphos, and it only caused more problems.
well first, you can't really work with the action (effectively) unless you have the strings on.

um...what guitar do you have? you set up action differently on different guitars. pics on the guitar and hardware (lots of them) would be very very helpful.

also, you will want to check to see if your neck is straight or bowed, if bowed, you'll need to adjust the truss rod. try googling "guitar setup" to see if you can find a good tutorial for all of this first, though
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Guitar is a SG copy, Tune-O-Matic bridge, Stop Bar tailpiece, 22 fret Rosewood fretboard.
How can i tell if it's bowed?
Quote by willT08
Guitar is a SG copy, Tune-O-Matic bridge, Stop Bar tailpiece, 22 fret Rosewood fretboard.
How can i tell if it's bowed?

Look down the neck from the bridge to the headstock (ie the neck should be pointing along your line of sight). Then it should be fairly easy, especially if you have binding, to see if the line that the edge of the fretboard makes bends at all. If it does you need to adjust your truss rod accordingly.
I've got this annoying fret buzz on my 1st and 2nd frets on both my Low E and A strings and quite a lot all over my G string but in the lower end
Well I'm no expert, but fret buzz on the higher frets might be caused by a low nut, or a bowed neck.

Or high frets.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!