You now have the opportunity to broadcast a message to a planet that may have intelligent life on it. More about the planet:

Quote by Cosmos
What makes Gliese 581d special is that it’s one of the best contenders for extraterrestrial life outside our Solar System, given that it is in the habitable zone of its star. Planets in this zone are just the right distance for liquid water to potentially exist.

Eight-times the size of Earth, it is classified as a ‘super Earth’, and is the “first serious waterworld candidate,” according to one of its discoverers, Stephane Udry from the Geneva observatory in Switzerland.

I haven't thought of a message yet, but whenever I contemplate sending a message to another planet I get all choked up and teary

From reading some of the messages people have posted so far, I don't know if sending hundreds of thousands of messages is the best idea, but whatever. Go here to send a message:

http://www.hellofromearth.net/

And the article: http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/2916/send-message-stars

Post your message here so we can mock/applaud it.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
'Big beats are the best, smoke weed all the time.'
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
"THIS IS A DECLARATION OF WAR."
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Is it not a big stupid to send a message seeing as the would be unlikely to know what the hell it even says regardless of language.
"For more information about Earth, go to www.ultimate-guitar.com and look for The Pit"
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
Quote by LordBishek
Coco Believe me, I'm a lonesome man...

I wanna get stoned and trip some wires
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

at his command
Quote by CTFOD
I wanna get stoned and trip some wires

Someone picked up on it

EDIT: "Order our pills today, and see an extension in penis size in just 3 weeks!"
Quote by JackalUK
Is it not a big stupid to send a message seeing as the would be unlikely to know what the hell it even says regardless of language.

I know, but I guess the more indecipherable messages they receive the more they could mistake them for some sort of strange background fuzz as opposed to actual language/code. It's a cute and fruitless idea at best - still kind of cool though.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."

So many things wrong with this banner....
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by imdeth
I wonder if they have women with three tits.
Been reading HHGTTG have we?
Quote by imdeth
I wonder if they have women with three tits.

Rule 34

"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
Misleading thread title. Why can't I send Mel Gibson a messagge?

edit: This is wat I sent:
Images of broken light
Which dance before me like a million suns
They call me on and on.
Across the Universe.
-John Lennon, The Beatles

I was going to write some of the lyrics from Anna (Go to Him), buut that wouldn't make sense.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Last edited by Pencil Man at Aug 12, 2009,
As an offering of peace, we present to you the greatest cultural export our planet has to offer: The Jonas Brothers.
Quote by duncang

at his command
"Looking for designer good for cheap? Come us visit chinasuperfakegoods
Nike trainers $10
Gibson Pro Custom Guitar $120
Gucci Handbags from $15

Visit today good deals to find"
We come in peace
Originally Posted by Dawginator
Lord Cheswick, you are a comic genius!

Originally Posted by blommen
the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
Instead of sending words, we should send them music. You don't need to understand words to listen to music, and this could prove that it's not just random space static.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

"hope somebody can read this and if you do reply back. I'm sure we are not the only one in this blue incredible planet. Saludos"

I lol'ed
Quote by fearofthemark
Instead of sending words, we should send them music. You don't need to understand words to listen to music, and this could prove that it's not just random space static.

What makes you think aliens wouldn't perceive music as random space static?
Quote by JamesDouglas
What makes you think aliens wouldn't perceive music as random space static?

Structure?
Quote by maggot9779
Structure?

My point is that only we (and perhaps some other animals) perceive music as music and not as mere sound - something which aliens might not do.
Hey Xpoyrtfkxx!You forgot your planetary driving license at us during our last party. I'll leave it on the kitchen table in case you would need it.See You!
Joseph D.
Budapest, Australia

I laughed