So...

I basically had the idea to get three songs with chord progressions (tabs) in order from intermediate to difficult(weird) chords to practice chord naming. Don't give me any basic chords, I know that kind of stuff. I have to practice with chords with added notes, certain flat/sharp notes that don't belong in there and notes other than the root in the bass etc..

I am going to read a bit of the NAME THIS CHORD thread too xD

:edit:
Now that I made a thread anyway, I'm going to ask this chord name:

e----4----
B----6----
G----5----
D----x----
A----5----
E----x----
Last edited by KoenDercksen at Aug 12, 2009,
Mh, i'm NOT good at this but i wanna practice it too.
Please correct me wherever i'm wrong

Now let's see, the notes are: D C F G

1st option :

D F G C
I bIII IV bVII

Now, the D, F and C point to a Dm7
The fifth is easily dropped, so let's considered it dropped, so no A
Instead we have a G, which we could see as a 11th(4th)
So i think one correct thing to say is Dm7add11?

2nd option:

F G C D
I II IV VI

This just doesn't seem right there is no third nor fifth...
and it's suspended in the two ways. I Don't know if there is such a thing as a sus2/4

3rd option:

G C D F
I IV V bVII

mmh, G7sus4?

4th option:

C D F G
I II IV V

This is again a double suspension sus2 and sus4
or Csus2add11 or sus4add9

Help?
maybe something like: 6add9, 7(#5), m7(#5), m/M7, m/M7 (# or b 5), 11th, 13th, m9. m9add6 or add4

depends on how its used.....

could be .. Dm7b5..Bb9 (no root)...Fmi6...E7b9#5
Quote by KoenDercksen
Can anyone explain me what "minor/minor" and "major/major" chords are, or "minor/major" and "major/minor" if such a thing exists.

In MinorMajor chords the 3rd is minor but the 7th is major.

So if the root is C, CmM7 (C minor major7) would be:

C Eb (m3) G (p5) and B (M7)

The other chords you talked about are never refered to by those names because a major/minor 7th chord is the same as a dominant 7th, a major/major chord is a Maj7 and a minor/minor is a m7 chord.
Dominant 7th chords...

Are 7th chords build on the dominant of the scale right? So if I use C major, the dominant 7th would be G-B-D-F???

Also, what is a nonfunctioning dominant,

And how can one figure what kind of chord a chord is if it is rootless, without knowing the key you're in?
Last edited by KoenDercksen at Aug 12, 2009,
Dominant 7th chords...

Are 7th chords build on the dominant of the scale right? So if I use C major, the dominant 7th would be G-B-D-F???

yes...

Also, what is a nonfunctioning dominant,

it could just be a passing chord...

And how can one figure what kind of chord a chord is if it is rootless, without knowing the key you're in?

without knowing the key...then it wont matter...it could just be part of a progression that uses the chord because it sounds nice...once the key is established then it will have function/quality...and can be named for that function...

play well

wolf