Right im new to the whole electric guitar thing, but the seem to be easy to work etc Ive been playing acoustic for a while but it didnt suit my "hard rocking" so i got an Epi LP, then a crappy little practise amp which is relatively easy to work aswell.......BUT...

I dont get all this stuff about tube amps, combos and stacks. For example i have my eye on either a cheaper vox amp, a DA20 or an Orange Crush 30R - The vox being about £180 and the Orange £150 but theres also another Orange Amp Thats also a 30W called "Orange RK30C rocker combo" which cost £725, im really confused on the whole amp situation and have no idea which is the best wattages for small gigging and practice all in one which is why im sticking to 30W as that seems a reasonable price and decent size but i also dont get why the hell this second Orange is almost triple the price for the same Wattage?

Help would be appreciated greatly
When you are past the stage of noob, you then become a geek.....

Epiphones are the way forward! <3
Yeah i know, its a combo, i just need help with amps in general, like whats my best bet etc....

Your best bet at this time would probably be around a 15 watt tube amp.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Callum_29
Yeah i know, its a combo, i just need help with amps in general, like whats my best bet etc....

you get combo tube amps..
combo refers to the type of amp with both head and cab in one casing, opposed to hooking up a head to a seperate set of speakers.
tube amps and solid state amps refer to whether an amp is powered by tubes or pure circuits.
tube amps generally cost more due to superior tone (very general statement)
The Orange crush is a Solid State (SS) 30 watt amp.
The Rocker Seriese is a all Tube 30 watt amp.

The original amplifiers long long time ago were tube, solid state wasn't invented yet.
The tone of the amp comes from Vacuume tubes (also called Valves).
You get very thick rich tone from a Tube amp.

Solid state came along and tried to copy the tone of tubes with Electrodes and Resistors and all kinds of electronic stuff. They are OK, for practice situation. But when you want to play live and have great tone, you need tubes.

And of coarse, tube amps are more expensive. They need more carefull hand wiring, where SS can be mass produced by machines.

And you need to be aware that Tube Watts and SS watts are very different.
Tube is much louder than SS.

So a 5 watt tube amp is probably about as loud as a 30-40 Watt Solid State Amp.

So comparing a 30 Watt solid state to a 30 watt Tube is literally like Apples/Oranges. they are not even in the same ballpark. Hence, the tube is way mroe expensive.

Another big difference between SS and Tube, is you can add effects to a SS amp, like Delay Chorus, Flange, etc. Added right into the AMP, not a pedal.
With TUBE amps, you need pedals for those type of effects.

It's personal preference of coarse, but most people will agree that you're better off with pedals for your effects. It's much easier to press a button with your foot while you're playing, then fiddling with dials on your amp.

And probably the biggest difference, is tone. Tube just sounds SO much better than SS.
It's like computer graphics in movies. You can tell the CG is fake (although they are getting much better at it). Same for SS amps, you can just tell it sounds Digital...

hope that helps..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 12, 2009,
Thanks to everyone for the help, especially the last two explanations i get the differences now, thanks folks

I pretty much agree with the person above me except on some small things. Not all SS sound digital only modeling amps really give a digital sound. Also tubes are not always better in tone. Ther'yre some amazing modeling amps out there that sound fantastic but only for a hefty price. Also if your just in your bedroom looking for versitality a modeling amp is probaly what you want.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
I pretty much agree with the person above me except on some small things. Not all SS sound digital only modeling amps really give a digital sound. Also tubes are not always better in tone. Ther'yre some amazing modeling amps out there that sound fantastic but only for a hefty price. Also if your just in your bedroom looking for versitality a modeling amp is probaly what you want.

That was a very "Generally Speaking" explaination.

Of coarse there are always exceptions to every rule..

A high end SS may indeed be better than a low end tube.
This will of coarse boil down to "Personal Preference"

And I agree, SS modelling amps are just fine for bedroom jamming.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
The Orange crush is a Solid State (SS) 30 watt amp.
The Rocker Seriese is a all Tube 30 watt amp.

The original amplifiers long long time ago were tube, solid state wasn't invented yet.
The tone of the amp comes from Vacuume tubes (also called Valves).
You get very thick rich tone from a Tube amp.

Solid state came along and tried to copy the tone of tubes with Electrodes and Resistors and all kinds of electronic stuff. They are OK, for practice situation. But when you want to play live and have great tone, you need tubes.

And of coarse, tube amps are more expensive. They need more carefull hand wiring, where SS can be mass produced by machines.

And you need to be aware that Tube Watts and SS watts are very different.
Tube is much louder than SS.

So a 5 watt tube amp is probably about as loud as a 30-40 Watt Solid State Amp.

So comparing a 30 Watt solid state to a 30 watt Tube is literally like Apples/Oranges. they are not even in the same ballpark. Hence, the tube is way mroe expensive.

Another big difference between SS and Tube, is you can add effects to a SS amp, like Delay Chorus, Flange, etc. Added right into the AMP, not a pedal.
With TUBE amps, you need pedals for those type of effects.

It's personal preference of coarse, but most people will agree that you're better off with pedals for your effects. It's much easier to press a button with your foot while you're playing, then fiddling with dials on your amp.

And probably the biggest difference, is tone. Tube just sounds SO much better than SS.
It's like computer graphics in movies. You can tell the CG is fake (although they are getting much better at it). Same for SS amps, you can just tell it sounds Digital...

hope that helps..

+1000000

Also, a combo amp is pretty much this... in an amp, you have the actual amp (also known as an amp head) and a speaker. A combo amp is simply an amp that already has the speaker built in. These amps are very common. A stack refers to buying an amp head separately (such as this) and buying a speaker cabinet separately (like this) and connecting the two. If you have an amp head and one speaker, you have a half stack, if you have two speakers, it's a full stack.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
For more information, try reading the FAQ in the GG&A Forums
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Thanks for the help