I have an ibanez rg320 (HH) 1 volume 1 tone 5 way wired to 3 way selector, and i just installed some duncan blackouts and had 2 questions for those more experienced. is there a way to wire blackouts into a mono jack, because i dont want to route a bigger hole for the stereo (right now i sort of bent the tabs to make it fit, <i>and</i> everyone talks about how much more output and better tone these have, but the output seems exactly the same, theres more clarity with high gain, but like the clean still sounds clean, and it doesnt seem like the drastic change anyone talks about. could this be a wiring issue (ill post pics of the control cavity if needed)?
Gear I Have
Ibanez RG320 w/Blackouts
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Marshall MG10CD

Gear On The Way
Peavey Valveking 112
NoName Acrylic LP shape guitar
Ibanez RG7321
Blackout 7's
It's probably because you are playing through your spider (gear in sig), and you can't tell much of a difference with pup changes in modeling amps.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
If you use a mono jack instead of the stereo jack, you'll end up having your battery constantly draining, whether the lead is plugged in or not.

The stereo jack breaks the connection between the battery negative and ground, which would usually complete the circuit and power the pickup. If you use a mono jack with the battery negative on the ground ring, this circuit becomes soldered closed, leaving it active, and causing the battery to drain.

You have two options, really:

1. Make the stereo jack fit, and use that.

2. Use a mono jack and a SPDT or DPDT switch to turn the power on and off.

Edit: Also, active pickups don't actually have a huge amount more output. The main point is that they're incredibly clean, so when you distort the signal, you can still hear everything crystal clear.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by -MintSauce-
If you use a mono jack instead of the stereo jack, you'll end up having your battery constantly draining, whether the lead is plugged in or not.

The stereo jack breaks the connection between the battery negative and ground, which would usually complete the circuit and power the pickup. If you use a mono jack with the battery negative on the ground ring, this circuit becomes soldered closed, leaving it active, and causing the battery to drain.

You have two options, really:

1. Make the stereo jack fit, and use that.

2. Use a mono jack and a SPDT or DPDT switch to turn the power on and off.

Edit: Also, active pickups don't actually have a huge amount more output. The main point is that they're incredibly clean, so when you distort the signal, you can still hear everything crystal clear.

thanks for that. does it hurt to have the tabs bent in a bit how i have it set up, or should i just route a bigger hole in the guitar because the jack touches the wood?
Gear I Have
Ibanez RG320 w/Blackouts
Marshall MG10CD

Gear On The Way
Peavey Valveking 112
Ibanez RG7321
Blackout 7's
^i have bent tabs on my guitar's output, and it works fine, so long as all of the proper connections are being made. the main problem you might run into is that fact that the jack may no longer hold your guitar cable in as well as it used to.

and yea, unfortunately, you just wont hear too much of a difference on a spider, and i'm not saying that to bash spiders, i actually like mine, but they simply don't show the difference between pickups nearly as well as a tube amp.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I figure I should say this here: if you're going to get the 7321 you'll want locking tuners as well.
Quote by bored_maniac33
^i have bent tabs on my guitar's output, and it works fine, so long as all of the proper connections are being made. the main problem you might run into is that fact that the jack may no longer hold your guitar cable in as well as it used to.

and yea, unfortunately, you just wont hear too much of a difference on a spider, and i'm not saying that to bash spiders, i actually like mine, but they simply don't show the difference between pickups nearly as well as a tube amp.

thanks for that. since there bent in it holds the cable fine. i just wanted to make sure i wasnt damaiging it in anyway. im hoping they sound good once i get the vk. i could see the spider not showing much of a difference. there good for making other tones but dont let your actual tone liek from your guitar and pickups show through.
Gear I Have
Ibanez RG320 w/Blackouts
Marshall MG10CD

Gear On The Way
Peavey Valveking 112
Ibanez RG7321
Blackout 7's