Is it bad technique if my pinky curls into my hand when I trill with my second and third fingers? IT doesn't curl in on any other permutation of trills between fingers, only the second and third. It seems to me that it would help if it didn't, but looking at Gilbert and Satriani, they curl their fingers in at times.
Just because Gilbert and Satriani do it doesn't mean it's not improper technique.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
I do the same thing at times. But it only seems to hinder my playing if I focus on it too much.
I hate my sig
I was pondering this not too long ago. It's not improper for your pinky to curl in during trills and it can't really be controlled, everyone does it. It doesn't matter all that much anyway because trills require you to be somewhat aggressive in order to get those hammer-ons/pull-offs sounding out great. If you focus too much on what your pinky is doing during trills, you'll lose that effectiveness.
Quote by hippieboy444
Is it bad technique if my pinky curls into my hand when I trill with my second and third fingers? IT doesn't curl in on any other permutation of trills between fingers, only the second and third. It seems to me that it would help if it didn't, but looking at Gilbert and Satriani, they curl their fingers in at times.

It's not really "bad" technique but it is less than optimal and it is prefectly possible to control the same way any other aspect of your technique is controllable: by practicing slowly enough so that you CAN control it for a long time, slowly but surely your fast playing should get better in pure technique terms.

Quote by HoffManCometh
I was pondering this not too long ago. It's not improper for your pinky to curl in during trills and it can't really be controlled, everyone does it. It doesn't matter all that much anyway because trills require you to be somewhat aggressive in order to get those hammer-ons/pull-offs sounding out great. If you focus too much on what your pinky is doing during trills, you'll lose that effectiveness.

It is perfectly controllable and, not trying to blow my own horn or anything, but my pinky doesn't curl. It could do with being a good deal closer to the fretboard but I'm working on that with the very practice I outlined above.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's not really "bad" technique but it is less than optimal and it is prefectly possible to control the same way any other aspect of your technique is controllable: by practicing slowly enough so that you CAN control it for a long time, slowly but surely your fast playing should get better in pure technique terms.

It is perfectly controllable and, not trying to blow my own horn or anything, but my pinky doesn't curl. It could do with being a good deal closer to the fretboard but I'm working on that with the very practice I outlined above.

No horn-blowing assumed on my part here. Maybe it is controllable, and I can imagine it'd take some time. I'm more obsessed with trying to get my pinky to stay above the fretboard with normal stuff before I even focus on trills, though. :S
Quote by HoffManCometh
No horn-blowing assumed on my part here. Maybe it is controllable, and I can imagine it'd take some time. I'm more obsessed with trying to get my pinky to stay above the fretboard with normal stuff before I even focus on trills, though. :S

Your technique is the sum of it's parts, young grasshopper. If you tried doing some trilling exercises you might very well find that your pinky behaves in much the same way as it does when you're doing anything else. Trilling exercises are good though because it focuses exclusively on the tendon that you use for both fingers which is usually a weak point in any player's arsenal.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Your technique is the sum of it's parts, young grasshopper. If you tried doing some trilling exercises you might very well find that your pinky behaves in much the same way as it does when you're doing anything else. Trilling exercises are good though because it focuses exclusively on the tendon that you use for both fingers which is usually a weak point in any player's arsenal.

Indeed, but trilling is flare despite its simplicity. There's plenty of time to focus on playing trills with proper technique, but only if the general elements of playing are played with proper technique first.

However, that is a really good point. I'll do trilling exercises more often to train my tendon better.
Last edited by HoffManCometh at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by hippieboy444
Sounds like I should slow it down :P

In 99.9% of cases it's the answer, yeah... that and practice but everyone knows that.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.