I'm contemplating buying a pedalboard from the US. I was just wondering if anyone knew how much import tax/customs/whatever extra I'd have to pay, if anything.
You would have to pay ~15% in duties, plus the exchange rate if you do a day trip. If you stay in the States for a day, $100 of your goods are exempt from duty. If you stay 2 days, $400 of your stuff is exempt from duty. In the end, if you're in Canada, you just might have to end up paying the higher prices, but if you go to the US, duty will end up making things worse.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
You would have to pay ~15% in duties, plus the exchange rate if you do a day trip. If you stay in the States for a day, $100 of your goods are exempt from duty. If you stay 2 days, $400 of your stuff is exempt from duty. In the end, if you're in Canada, you just might have to end up paying the higher prices, but if you go to the US, duty will end up making things worse.

If it was made in the us for mexico, there are no duties
Sorry, I should've been clearer. I'm ordering a pedalboard online from the US, not actually going there to buy one. What possible fees might that incur?
If anything, your country would likely be the one to assess any import tariffs or customs fees.
Are you buying it from a retailer or a private sale? If it's the former, it should just be any shipping charges they normally impose but you may want to contact them directly. If it's a private sale I don't really know what to tell you.
If you're in Canada, you'll pay the standard tax on the item you bought (federal and provincial, the same way you'd be charged in a store) plus a small static amount (I think it's $7 or $8) and any duties the item is eligible for. However, because of NAFTA, you won't pay duty if it's made in the US.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.