So I got my first half stack last night, a Marshall DSL100 head with a Marshall 1960B Cabinet. I probably should have asked this before I left guitar center but I was kinda excited and forgot. So my cabinet has a Mono/Stereo switch which I'm assuming I want in Mono. It then has outputs for either 4 or 16 ohms in Mono mode. My amp head has two outputs switchable between 4 and 8 ohms and one output at 16 ohms. So from what I know I would say I'd be safe hooking it up from one of the 4 ohm outputs on the head to the 4 ohm Mono input on the cabinet or from the 16 ohm output on the head to the 16 ohm Mono input on the cabinet. If I can hook it up either of these two ways, is there any difference between the two? Are there any advantages of running at 4 ohms vs 16 ohm? I may be completely wrong about all of this so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Gear:
Fender Deluxe American Strat HSS
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Fender Acoustic

Marshall DSL100 Head
Marshall 1960B Cab
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Vox AC4TV Combo
unless ur running more than 1 cab, keep it at mono. ALWAYS ALWAYS keep the ohms in the head and cab matched, or else bad things will happed.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
unless ur running more than 1 cab, keep it at mono. ALWAYS ALWAYS keep the ohms in the head and cab matched, or else bad things will happed.

The ohmage of the cab can be higher than the head, but your signal will deteriorate. You just can't have a lower ohmage cab than the head.

Try making your posts useful.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution
The ohmage of the cab can be higher than the head, but your signal will deteriorate. You just can't have a lower ohmage cab than the head.

dick much? sorry, i was misinformed...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by Kevy Absolution

No, this is poor advice. Try making your posts accurate. The guy you so rudely berated was actually correct. Match the ohms. You are right it won't catastrophically fail if the cab has an ohm rating above the head, but that does not mean it is OK.

Quote by xxunder-takerxx

No you weren't. Following the directions on a $1000 piece of electronics is never wrong.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by xxunder-takerxx

I'll forgive you this time.

Running them matched at a lower ohmage will just result in lower overall volume.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution
I'll forgive you this time.

Running them matched at a lower ohmage will just result in lower overall volume.

No, again you are wrong, it will result in more wear on the output tubes, and transformers, and can shorten the life of both. Besides he has matching ohmage on his cab and head, so why would you suggest he do any different?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Aug 12, 2009,
Thanks for the advice! So what I think I'm getting out of this is that my best bet is to use the 16 ohm output on my head into the 16 ohm mono input on my cabinet, right?
Gear:
Fender Acoustic

Marshall DSL100 Head
Marshall 1960B Cab
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Vox AC4TV Combo
Quote by tubetime86
No, again you are wrong, it will result in more wear on the output tubes, and transformers, and can shorten the life of both. Besides he has matching ohmage on his cab and head, so why would you suggest he do any different?

He said running them match at a lower ohmage as in if he matched them at 4 ohms...

^And yes, running your head at 16 ohms and making your cab 16 ohms mono is what should work.
Match cabs/amps whenever possible.

Many amps just have a minimum ohm rating, so you are expected to run whatever that minimum is or above.

You aren't going to hurt anything by running a cab that has a higher ohm rating... but your output wont be efficient - so your max volume will suffer.

My sons bass amp only has a 2 ohm cab output. There's a table next to it that shows you the wattage with an 4, 8, and 16 ohm load. The wattage goes down as the ohm load goes up.
Quote by tubetime86
Running a higher impedance load does not wear the output tubes. It does put your OT at risk for arcing from flyback voltages but it typically doesn't happen when you mismatch up one step. Otherwise, devices like the Ultimate Attenuator would cause your OT to blow up, which it obviously doesn't.
Thanks again guys for all the help!
Gear:
Fender Acoustic

Marshall DSL100 Head
Marshall 1960B Cab
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Vox AC4TV Combo