I am not totally convinced.
But I've been reading up and there have been actual studies done on it and there has been some fairly convincing "evidence". It's hard(and ignorant) to just completely refute it, especially after i've read this.

Basically, these are instances where people remember their past life, and specific details. The most convincing research is done by Ian stevenson, who is the guy being interviewed in the link below.
He was reputable, not some shady nobody who appeared out of nowhere with a fake phd.
He basically spoke to ****loads of children(aged 3-5, as they would be less susceptible to environmental influence) in india who supposedly remembered their past lives. He was scientifically strict about it and he always tried his best to come up with a normal way that these kids could've recieved this information. He claims that a significant amount of the cases couldn't be explained.

Just go to wikipedia and type reincarnation, or if you'd like a wall of text, http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm . you might want to scroll to the bottom where he gives the examples.

Don't completely ignore this until you've actually read up on it, I am definitely not a spiritual person (though I am very open-minded), so it's not as if I was trying to scientifically explain my religion or whatever.

Anyway, discuss.
I've read up on it, doesn't happen we're all gonna rot in the ground
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
If re-incarnation was real then why has the population of the earth been increasing over time? Where the hell are all these extra people coming from? Was there some kind of mass genocide on an alien planet or something?

Also anecdotal evidence of people remembering supposed 'past lives' is certainly not proof of anything
Last edited by Nietsche at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by Venice King

of course, the athiests are always right
Quote by Horebane
I am not totally convinced.
But I've been reading up and there have been actual studies done on it and there has been some fairly convincing "evidence". It's hard(and ignorant) to just completely refute it, especially after i've read this.

Basically, these are instances where people remember their past life, and specific details. The most convincing research is done by Ian stevenson, who is the guy being interviewed in the link below.
He was reputable, not some shady nobody who appeared out of nowhere with a fake phd.
He basically spoke to ****loads of children(aged 3-5, as they would be less susceptible to environmental influence) in india who supposedly remembered their past lives. He was scientifically strict about it and he always tried his best to come up with a normal way that these kids could've recieved this information. He claims that a significant amount of the cases couldn't be explained.

Just go to wikipedia and type reincarnation, or if you'd like a wall of text, http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm . you might want to scroll to the bottom where he gives the examples.

Don't completely ignore this until you've actually read up on it, I am definitely not a spiritual person (though I am very open-minded), so it's not as if I was trying to scientifically explain my religion or whatever.

Anyway, discuss.

That's called watching too much TV
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
Quote by Myfirstpubes
No but the P.E.A.R.L.ists are
I personally don't believe in it, but you are correct, it is ignorant to just refute it and say, "It can't be like that," as so many people do when it comes to anythin remotely religous (or not religous for that matter just so I can include the athesists). I think the world would be a much better place if people didn't immdiatley look down upon anyone who didn't believe what they believe.
Quote by Myfirstpubes

science and logic are backing me
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I think I saw this once on Oprah.

*Braces himself for flaming*

(I just watched it once guys, )

To be honest i dont believe it. I think when you die you, er, die. and thats the end of you.
Originally Posted by Dawginator
Lord Cheswick, you are a comic genius!

Originally Posted by blommen
the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
Quote by Myfirstpubes

Yes, as a matter of fact we are.
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Quote by Nietsche
No but the P.E.A.R.L.ists are

whenever we someone makes a thread to discuss theories about certain aspects of the afterlife, the athiests have to ****ing come and hijack the thread. Can we not have a thread where the discussions end with athiest flame wars?
Quote by Venice King

You are the kind of person I'm talking about. How can you be sure that the christains aren't right? Have you died? You have the same absolutely no scientific backing to your statements, just like christains don't have any scientific proof that there is a heaven.

Grow up and lern2openmind
Quote by DardoBoy
You are the kind of person I'm talking about. How can you be sure that the christains aren't right? Have you died? You have the same absolutely no scientific backing to your statements, just like christains don't have any scientific proof that there is a heaven.

There is no proof, but there is a logical argument against it. Besides just look at how often the Bible contradicts itself.

In any case, this belongs in the religion thread.

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Quote by DardoBoy
This here ladies and gentlemen is what we call 'the argument from ignorance' i.e 'we haven't got a clue what happens so you can believe whatever crazy shit you wan't to believe'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

If I told you there was an invisible intangible infinite omnipotent flying pink unicorn in my back yard would you believe it? You have no evidence to the contrary
Lrn2notpresentfallaciousarguments

In any case, this belongs in the religion thread.
This man speaks the truth
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Agnostics ftw. Sitting on the fence rules.

+1

I hate it when people say 'God is definitely real" or "God is definitely not real". There is no way for any of us to know the truth.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
Pro-tip: Putting "scientific proof" infront of sentences doesn't automatically make them scientific proof.

I expected a load of rubbish and that's what I got. Damn you, brain, you never leave any surprises!
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by DardoBoy

yeah because christianity is the only logical religion that has any iota of common sense and has a chance to be fact and therefore is the only religion good enough to be proven right or wrong...damn arrogant christians...

there is no evolutionary difference between a polytheistic religion and a monotheistic religion...they are both equally illogical and/or logical
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Fender Stratocaster Custom
Epiphone Les Paul Classic (w/ EMG-81)
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
It does belong in the religion thread,I agree.

But at the same time you cannot disprove the existance of heaven, just as the christains can't prove it, and I've said this a thousand times but many christains that I know do not take the bible literally, they know that none of that bullsh1t happened, but they also see that the stories and morals in the bible can be learned from.

For the record I am completing 100% agnostic, I just enjoy playing the devils advocate.

edit: My apologies to the poster above me, I was jsut using christainity as an example because honestly, I do not know enough about most other religions to post about. And I'm not a christain or religious at all...so if you could refrain from wrongfully insulting me, that would be great
Last edited by DardoBoy at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by kxy1992
That's called watching too much TV

Ok my bad, I didn't mention that the researchers tracked down these supposed deceased people. And they existed. These were people from villages 50 miles away(the person who recalls the information is a kid aged from 3-5 btw), it's very hard to explain how they can just recall that specific information. Information includes how he died, names of siblings, cousins, parents. And the researchers discovered that there was someone who died in that exact same circumstance with the names of the relatives corresponding with what the boy said.
That's just one scenario, like I said, if you don't read it, don't even post.
Well I could sit here and argue against Christianity and all other organized religions all day, buuuuuuut I have better things to do.

Also *reported*

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
Quote by DardoBoy
It does belong in the religion thread,I agree.

But at the same time you cannot disprove the existance of heaven, just as the christains can't prove it, and I've said this a thousand times but many christains that I know do not take the bible literally, they know that none of that bullsh1t happened, but they also see that the stories and morals in the bible can be learned from.

I don't know how many thousands of times I've said this but: You can't disprove something that hasn't been proven in the first place. The word cannot be applied at all if something hasn't been proven in the first place.

Quote by Horebane
Ok my bad, I didn't mention that the researchers tracked down these supposed deceased people. And they existed. These were people from villages 50 miles away(the person who recalls the information is a kid aged from 3-5 btw), it's very hard to explain how they can just recall that specific information. Information includes how he died, names of siblings, cousins, parents. And the researchers discovered that there was someone who died in that exact same circumstance with the names of the relatives corresponding with what the boy said.
That's just one scenario, like I said, if you don't read it, don't even post.

Any real sources for this or is it bull**** like all "scientific proof" offered by this genre?
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Aug 12, 2009,
its all coo'
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Fender Stratocaster Custom