Page 1 of 3
Sam Ash is offering the Spider Valve for just $400!! UG, give me reasons to buy or not to buy
Quote by Ghold125
Do you like the amp?

this
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
haven't really checked it out, it's so hard to really get a feel for an amp in a store. but i don't like the spider iii, i'll tell ya that much
spider valve = spider with with tubes,

take your pic from that
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Spider valve

Cons
Sounds like a slightly warmer spider III at lower volumes.

Pros
At higher volumes it sounds like a ton warmer spider III with a ton of power tube saturation masking the downside of having a modeller.

End result... High volume decent amp decent tone. Lower volumes spider III paper weight tone
b-52 at112>Spider valve

Sounded like a spider with tubes to me, better but not that much better.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by Carrot

take your pic from that

Spider Valves are a lot better than Spiders dude... have you ever played one or are you just bandwagoning? I'll assume it's that. TS, If you can afford it get a Vetta II... otherwise the Spider Valve would be good but there are (a few) better amps for the money. It's still a good chioce. I hate modelling amps with a passion but I like the Valves and Vetta IIs. Play one and see if you like it or just buy it and return it if you don't. Your decision.

Quote by al112987
imo, the b52 at112 = most overrated tube amp in existence

Eh, yeah that's true to an extent. I don't think it deserves ALL the hype it gets (which is alot) but for the price range it's one hell of an amp.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by al112987
imo, the b52 at112 = most overrated tube amp in existence

Well, I kind of agree to a point but the main reason people sing its praises is the price tag. A decent sounding tube amp for that price is tough to come by.

edit:^just saw that post above me
You have to really turn it up or it sounds like the Spider. By that time though...the blue led crunch model is horrible with feedback. I had play on one that Camp Electric in Nashville furnished during a sort of open mic jam. It was bad during the solo... If you can turn it up loud enough and you don't use that model, it should be fine.
The Line 6 Flextone III is closely behind the Spider Valve in tone and is roughly the same price. But as said, the B52 AT is a nice alternative.
Someone on here actually picked up a Vetta II for $500 in the last few days.
Quote by Carrot

take your pic from that

No, sorry.

Nice try though.

SV > AT112 any day.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I liked the one I played. It was a good amp and sounded good too. It was like a Spider, I will say, but the tubes gave it the umph of extra crunch that made it sound really nice. Its like a Spider that got jolted with an AED, sounds much more alive.

However, it seems like Line 6 is trying to compete more and more with the Vypyr. I seemed to like the Vypyr Tube I played more than the Spider Valve.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by MatrixClaw
No, sorry.

Nice try though.

SV > AT112 any day.

If MatrixClaw says SV> AT112, then listen to him, he has the last word when it comes to amps.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
I'm not a fan of the spider valve but I still think it's a good amp. The modeling is pretty much the same as the spider 3 but the valve amp aspect is good. I like running digital modeling pedals in front of my valve amps but I like the Roland modeling pedals much better than the spider modeling. It's all personal taste. If you were linking the tone then 400 is a good price.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by Carrot

take your pic from that

fail - your sig clearly doesn't apply to this particular thread.

the SVs are quite good amps - i occasionally jam with a guitarist who owns one - it sounds good but he gets really wound up by the fact there's no medium volume on some settings - it's either very very quiet or very very loud on the master volume and you have to use the channel volume to balance it out, but then, as soon as you change a setting... boom, the volume has changed again; a typical problem with line 6 and their "inconsistent preset volume" feature... that's the only negative thing i can think of about the spider valve when you're paying that much for it.

^@ corduroy- i believe the spider valve modelling is actually from the pod XT, which is quite a lot better than the spider modelling.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by Blompcube
fail - your sig clearly doesn't apply to this particular thread.

the SVs are quite good amps - i occasionally jam with a guitarist who owns one - it sounds good but he gets really wound up by the fact there's no medium volume on some settings - it's either very very quiet or very very loud on the master volume and you have to use the channel volume to balance it out, but then, as soon as you change a setting... boom, the volume has changed again; a typical problem with line 6 and their "inconsistent preset volume" feature... that's the only negative thing i can think of about the spider valve when you're paying that much for it.

^@ corduroy- i believe the spider valve modelling is actually from the pod XT, which is quite a lot better than the spider modelling.

Could you not remedy that problem with a volume pedal? Or am I just a total noob.
ok well maybe i was wrong with the spider thing

YES i have played one, one of the first batch ones wasn't blown away by it
wasnt enjoyable while playing it, sounds ok imo

and whats with mt HT5? take it you dont like them?
and again i was one ofthe first to have one
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Yeah, the volume issue is definitely something I noticed with it. You can easily fix it though by just going to each preset you use and adjusting the volumes on each to be the same.

One thing though, is that the actual stock presets on the SV are pretty bad. You really need to make your own and get to know the amp, it really livens up. On some of the super high gain models, there is a fizz that is difficult to dial out, but it can be gotten rid of.

I actually really liked the SV the last time I tried it. I was A/Bing it with a 5150 at Guitar Center, and I liked the SV better It's not a plug-and-play instant awesome tone, that's for sure, but once you get good at tweaking it, it's an excellent sounding amp. For $400, that's a steal, unless you're getting some insane deal, there isn't a single better amp you can get for that price, especially new and especially if you need versatility.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 12, 2009,
I've played a Spider Valve 212 at my music store. It's certainly better than a Spider, but it isn't amazing. Like all of the Spiders, I didn't really like any of the channels in particular, but the effects sounded better than on the SS Spiders.

EDIT: I was playing at a low volume, so I wasn't really able to get that warm tube tone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCj1k3paCRI
This was played on a Spider Valve 212. If you're a good enough player and don't use heaps of gain to hide your mistakes, then the Spider Valve sounds AWESOME. The same as any other amp, I suppose.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
If your a good enough player and you're dealing with tube amps under $800, does it really matter what your playing through
If I was in a cover band and needed a good amp on a budget, I'd get the Spider Valve for sure. To me it sounds closer to a tubed Flextone than to a Spider III, although it's still not quite as good as the Vetta.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah, the volume issue is definitely something I noticed with it. You can easily fix it though by just going to each preset you use and adjusting the volumes on each to be the same.

One thing though, is that the actual stock presets on the SV are pretty bad. You really need to make your own and get to know the amp, it really livens up. On some of the super high gain models, there is a fizz that is difficult to dial out, but it can be gotten rid of.

I actually really liked the SV the last time I tried it. I was A/Bing it with a 5150 at Guitar Center, and I liked the SV better It's not a plug-and-play instant awesome tone, that's for sure, but once you get good at tweaking it, it's an excellent sounding amp. For $400, that's a steal, unless you're getting some insane deal, there isn't a single better amp you can get for that price, especially new and especially if you need versatility.
It's the same with many modelling amplifiers. It's hard to find the "amps tone" without some serious tweakage.
Quote by Sid McCall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCj1k3paCRI
This was played on a Spider Valve 212. If you're a good enough player and don't use heaps of gain to hide your mistakes, then the Spider Valve sounds AWESOME. The same as any other amp, I suppose.

That sounds sweet. It has a better blues tone than the Vetta then
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
is there anything that competes with this that has high gains that don't sound like **** for the price?
Quote by Shabadoo
Could you not remedy that problem with a volume pedal? Or am I just a total noob.

not unless it was in the FX loop. in front of the amp you'd just be adjusting the level of the input signal which would affect the tone a bit.

i fully agree with matrixclaw - it's certainly not an instant-tone tool - with so much to adjust it is going to require a lot of tweaking before you get a satisfactory sound out of it. when you get it just right it sounds excellent though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I think Spider hate has infested many a soul, and thats a shame. Too many of us have become plug and play gutarists. Ive played every one of them, and actually have my eye on the SV 100 head. I already have a shortboard, so Im invested.

These amps sound great, and Im glad many of you feel the same way. There are better amps out there, sure. Buy guess what, (Targeting all the Amp Elitists out there), someone has a better amp that YOU too.

TS/ Buy one, you wont be dissapointed. Youll become a guru of knob turning and channel switching, as well you should be, as we all should be.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
+1 to Jonny Ryan. I do think that some spiders do sound like crap in the high gain, but so do other amps that ppl suggest. And obviously there r better amps out there. I mean, I don't think Slash is using Line 6 on his solo album but it can still be good.
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
I think Spider hate has infested many a soul, and thats a shame. Too many of us have become plug and play gutarists. Ive played every one of them, and actually have my eye on the SV 100 head. I already have a shortboard, so Im invested.

These amps sound great, and Im glad many of you feel the same way. There are better amps out there, sure. Buy guess what, (Targeting all the Amp Elitists out there), someone has a better amp that YOU too.

TS/ Buy one, you wont be dissapointed. Youll become a guru of knob turning and channel switching, as well you should be, as we all should be.

+1

I was in GC a few days back and I tried a Spider Valve, it took a few minutes of eq-ing but once it was over with, I had a nice heavy metal sound.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Quote by soul.power
I liked the one I played. It was a good amp and sounded good too. It was like a Spider, I will say, but the tubes gave it the umph of extra crunch that made it sound really nice. Its like a Spider that got jolted with an AED, sounds much more alive.

However, it seems like Line 6 is trying to compete more and more with the Vypyr. I seemed to like the Vypyr Tube I played more than the Spider Valve.

Fail. The Spider Valve came out WAY before the Vypr tube, which is EXTREMELY ovverated, espescially on this forum.

The Spider Valve is a very decent amp, pay no mind to the bandwagoners on this board. For gods sake theres people who start a flame war at just the name 'line 6'.

If you like it then get it, if you dont buy something you do, theres not point wasting money on something your not going to be entirely happy with.

Get a JSX.
Errbody else has this going for 799.00

ZZ sounds has it at under 5 bills.

Funny..I might make a phone call here in a bit.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Wow, the head is $450 at zzounds? Sick. I'm trying very hard not to buy one of these...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Wow, the head is $450 at zzounds? Sick. I'm trying very hard not to buy one of these...

+1

After I made the power amp comment I found that on zzounds and now the wheels are a turnin
I just submitted it to MF and asked if they could price match them... then you get a 10% discount LOL.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 3