So I'm about to get a Schecter C1 FR and I'm pretty sure I'm going to change the bridge pickup. I've my decision narrowed down to the Seymour Duncan Blackouts or the EMG Alexi Laiho signature pickup. Which one should I go for? (I play hard rock and metal mostly). I'm open to other pickups too
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Have you heard the pickups in the guitar that come stock yet?

I tried them out at guitar center and for me, they didn't get quite enough distortion nor the right kind of distortion
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

HUGE WASTE. Especially with that amp.
And ya, it sounds like you just want to burn money by deciding you already don't like the tone from the Schecter before taking delivery and trying it out WITH YOUR GEAR. I bet it's going to sound awesome out of the box with the stock pups.

If you do end up deciding on changing the pickups, Blackout > EMG's
Quote by 667
HUGE WASTE. Especially with that amp.
And ya, it sounds like you just want to burn money by deciding you already don't like the tone from the Schecter before taking delivery and trying it out WITH YOUR GEAR. I bet it's going to sound awesome out of the box with the stock pups.

If you do end up deciding on changing the pickups, Blackout > EMG's

Hey jackass, read the top line closer. "Pretty sure". That doesn't mean I'm totally sure, so dont be such a ****head. I did, in fact, try it on a raven they had at guitar center (i think the rg 100).
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Actives dont like about 90% of the SS amps out there. Something you should of researched from the get go. And why did you buy a guitar with pickups you didnt like in the first place....

So my suggestions is save your money and get a better amp or if you just have to spend some cash go with some passives..
The difference between an EMG 81/85 set and an SD Blackout set is minimal. If it only cost €50, fair enough, but it will be triple that. Why don't you look into the Blackjack ATX series which are already equipped with Blackouts?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Actives dont like about 90% of the SS amps out there. Something you should of researched from the get go. And why did you buy a guitar with pickups you didnt like in the first place....

So my suggestions is save your money and get a better amp or if you just have to spend some cash go with some passives..

mkay, get ready for a stupid question.... You can put passives in a guitar with active pickups?
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

i have blackouts on my schecter blackjack atx. they are incredible. they sound like active pickups and are so heavy but they are voiced so beautifully and just sing and scream.
Quote by Dog--
Holy **** that is the single funniest thing I've ever heard, thanks grimguitarist91, hats off to you good sir.

Quote by simpleben09
Hey jackass, read the top line closer. "Pretty sure". That doesn't mean I'm totally sure, so dont be such a ****head. I did, in fact, try it on a raven they had at guitar center (i think the rg 100).

Oh sorry. Didn't notice the "Pretty Sure". I only meant to help you keep your money and not waste it on frivolous purchases that Will do absolutely nothing for your $hitty gear.
So, go ahead Ynqwie, spend away. Those pups will magically transform the $hitty tone from your weak @ss gear (and most likely lame technique) into something epic.
Quote by simpleben09
mkay, get ready for a stupid question.... You can put passives in a guitar with active pickups?

Yes.... You just have to re-wire it, ground it and change out the pots..
Quote by simpleben09

Not stupid at all.

If your asking to mix actives and passives, it sgoing to be difficult but not impossible. If you want to replace actives with passives, you just have to replace all the electronics with 500k/1meg pots.

Check out some other threads on mixing actives and passives =] Hope it all goes well and you enjoy the guitar!
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yes.... You just have to re-wire it, ground it and change out the pots..

Well s**t, I'm just gonna to stick with some invaders assuming I don't like the tone on my rig, of course
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

If you only want to change the bridge to an active pickup, your better off changing both pickups to actives as it won't be such a hassle, but as 667 has already said, it will be a giant waste of money with that amp.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by simpleben09
Well s**t, I'm just gonna to stick with some invaders assuming I don't like the tone on my rig, of course

Personally I don't like the sound of the Invaders, they are too muddy imo. Why don't you go for a JB? You can get a great metal tone with it just as well as with Blackouts.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Quote by cxrlxscr
Personally I don't like the sound of the Invaders, they are too muddy imo. Why don't you go for a JB? You can get a great metal tone with it just as well as with Blackouts.

Well I play with a lot of midrange, so they don't get muddy at all. But I'll definitely look into the JBs
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by grimguitarist91
i have blackouts on my schecter blackjack atx. they are incredible. they sound like active pickups and are so heavy but they are voiced so beautifully and just sing and scream.

um those are active pickups
This thread is killing me...

I usually don't say this, but TS, spare yourself and get a new amp. Yours is utter garbage. So are SD Invaders.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Alright, TS, there is a lot of confusion in this thread. Here is my view, I don't love the feel of the Shector C1, however, it is a great sounding guitar. With that said, the SS amp you have, although it is a decent amp, will sound pretty bad with active pickups. Invaders are decent pickups, but they are very muddy, and even though you use a lot of mids, your amp is not strong in that area, which still may leave them sounding muddy. If I were you I would look into the JB, although they may not be heavy enough for you, if they work great, if not, then look into Dimarzios, they should have a pickup that suits your fancy.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Quote by jking948
Alright, TS, there is a lot of confusion in this thread. Here is my view, I don't love the feel of the Shector C1, however, it is a great sounding guitar. With that said, the SS amp you have, although it is a decent amp, will sound pretty bad with active pickups. Invaders are decent pickups, but they are very muddy, and even though you use a lot of mids, your amp is not strong in that area, which still may leave them sounding muddy. If I were you I would look into the JB, although they may not be heavy enough for you, if they work great, if not, then look into Dimarzios, they should have a pickup that suits your fancy.

Well in my multieffects unit, there's an onboard EQ, so I really had to push the mids to get rid of the muddy tone. Yes, it did take forever but I got it down. I think I'll dump Schecter C1 and go for something else, seeing how buying the passives for it and doing all that rewiring would be a quite a bitch to do and may not turn out exactly how I planned
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by simpleben09
Well in my multieffects unit, there's an onboard EQ, so I really had to push the mids to get rid of the muddy tone. Yes, it did take forever but I got it down. I think I'll dump Schecter C1 and go for something else, seeing how buying the passives for it and doing all that rewiring would be a quite a bitch to do and may not turn out exactly how I planned

Ah, Ok... Invader pickups are still one of the three most muddy pickups out there, if you can pull them off they sound great though. If you really do want the Shecter, then don't let anyone on here tell you differently, but if you only thought it was ok, then I would suggest buying a different guitar.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
TS... wtf man?
you buy a guitar, decide you don't like the pickups, you want to install actives to use with your ss amp, get your hopes crushed when you find out installing actives won't be as easy as passives (even though the difference in labor is minimal), so you decide you'd rather use INVADERS on an amp that has damn-near no midrange to speak of??? and now, instead of shoring up your patchwork rig, you want to ditch the decent guitar?

my first reaction was to flame the f*** out of you, but after reading through the whole thread, i can tell you're clueless and in desperate need of serious help, so here it is:

listen to the advice you've been given about your rig... time to step it up a notch. your guitar will sound a thousand times better through a [not Raven] amp. you'll most likely change your mind about the pickup swap too, or atleast you'll do a little more homework than "Invaders are the br00talzest." in all likelyhood, a decent OD will get you where you want to be once you upgrade your amp. That's the quick and easy answer... PM for the complicated/thorough one if you're interrested.

-G "out"-
It gets my goat that people say that SD Invaders are muddy pick ups! Perhaps these people should learn to eq their amp properly!!! Sorry to be negative, but this really pisses me off!
threads like this seriously give me a headache...

Lets get some things established...

1) I take it that you don't like the way your current setup sounds? Which could mean any one of your two guitars through your amp?
2) You went to GC and tried the Schecter through the same amp that you're using and didn't think it sounded right

What in the world is keeping you from realizing that you're not ever going to get hte sound you want out of that Raven?

There are really only two reasons for someone to change their pickups

1) G.A.S
2) One is suspicious that their pickups is the reason for undesirable tone

You're obviously unsure about how most of these pickups are going to sound, so how are you positive that a switch will do anything for you?
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by al112987
threads like this seriously give me a headache...

Lets get some things established...

1) I take it that you don't like the way your current setup sounds? Which could mean any one of your two guitars through your amp?
2) You went to GC and tried the Schecter through the same amp that you're using and didn't think it sounded right

What in the world is keeping you from realizing that you're not ever going to get hte sound you want out of that Raven?

There are really only two reasons for someone to change their pickups

1) G.A.S
2) One is suspicious that their pickups is the reason for undesirable tone

You're obviously unsure about how most of these pickups are going to sound, so how are you positive that a switch will do anything for you?

This. Get TS a body bag. Allow me to recommend a priority list for you.

1. New amp.
2. New Pups.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

EMG 81. obviously. because blackouts suck for metal compared to emg's. Trust me. Blackouts are better for other things too, but I see no point in buying a blackout, when a passive does the same thing. The alexi thing i think is just a marketing thing. It's probably pretty much the same thing as an H2 with the afterburner knob. If you want, you can buy an H2.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by anguskilminster
It gets my goat that people say that SD Invaders are muddy pick ups! Perhaps these people should learn to eq their amp properly!!! Sorry to be negative, but this really pisses me off!

thanks for the tip. i know how to EQ my amp, and i'd never be caught dead with invaders.
Quote by GrisKy
thanks for the tip. i know how to EQ my amp, and i'd never be caught dead with invaders.
Agreed.
I have Blackouts and love them. However, looking back, they were not worth the $200 I spent on them. TS, I'm guessing you love the br00talz? In that case, take the money you would spend on pickups and put them towards an Ampeg VH140C.
Indeed, it would be better to upgrade your amp before getting a new guitar. If you're gonna get a Schecter C-1 and change the pickups to passives, I suggest getting a C-1 Classic or some other C-1 model with passive pickups in it already.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.