Hey, i've decided that rather than buy a whole new guitar i'm gonna upgrade my current guitar because i love the feel of it even though it's setup horribly and even completely stock it sounds great. At the moment it looks almost exactly like this:

I'll break it down for you.

-Mahogany Body and Neck
-Rosewood Fretboard (22 frets)
-Tune-O-Matic Bridge w/ Stop Bar Tailpiece
-2 Wilkinson Double Coil pickups
-3 Way selector (Neck - Neutral - Bridge)

I paid £100 for this guitar and it plays as good as some Jackson's i'm picking up. Great Warm tone, and get some nice Crunch on OD

This is what i plan on doing:

Major Changes:

-Locking Tuners
-Graphtech Nut
-Pickups swapped to some DiMarzio's, EMG's or Duncans (Haven't decided)
-Refinished (Is their any way i can get the red burst without having to sand off all the finish, considering it's already black could i just add the burst on and then clearcoat it?)

Other than that it will be small changes, then get it set up by a Pro and it should play amazingly. Do you like the ideas? Any suggestions? Any help about Finish or where i can get parts particularly cheaply?
Last edited by willT08 at Aug 12, 2009,
I'm not positive but I think your gonna have to sand it all down and then do the burst. Looks good otherwise, good luck.

EDIT: on a side note, is it a Gibson or just a SG shaped guitar. 100euros seems really cheap for a genuine SG.
Last edited by robertito696 at Aug 12, 2009,
This gave me an idea, an SG with the bevels painted a different color as opposed to a burst.

anyway, this sounds like it'll turn out good, but yes, you are gonna want to sand it all down first.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
You only need to sand it bare if you want some of it to be transparent. If it is all opaque, then just scuff sand and follow the instructions in the ultimate painting/refinishing thread.

^ Personally I like the bevel idea too. Are you changing the inlays from dots to trapezoids?
Would i still need to sand it all down to just do bevels. That would look amazing. Like a kickass Warbeast that actually sounds good.
Do you reckon that in a store they'd be able to remove a set neck and replace it with another one? And where could i buy a neck with a Ebony Fretboard that would fit? Like can you buy Set necks?
Replacing a set neck can be done, but it's a royal pain. Personally, I would not go to the time and the expense unless it had significant sentimental or monetary value. If you want a new set-neck on a 100 euro guitar, just buy a new guitar.
Very true, guess it wouldn't have much effect on the tone anyway. HOW DO YOU CHANGE THE INLAYS?
Well, tbh, without specialized tools it isn't gonna be easy.

even then, i doubt it is.

You might want to ask that question in the ask ormsby thread, he may have done it before. Your best bet is probly the inlay stickers on eBay, i have some on an old strat knockoff.

Also, if you do the bevels idea i will love you forever.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Wow, i just realised my guitar already has trapezoids. And to do this Bevel thing it's Rough sanding to get rid of gloss > Stencil out a bevel design > Paint it on (Using what kind of paint?) > Clear coat. Done. Yes?