OK, so I've finally saved some money to buy myself a new amp.
I've been playing for about a year now and until now I've used this cheap Laney LX12.
It's a ss 10 watt amp. Can't really tell you guys more about it.

It should be able to handle bands like As I Lay Dying and August Burns Red (to give an idea),
but also bands like Rise Against and Finch (on the What It Is To Burn album).

I'd prefer not having to use a distortion pedal, so good onboard gain is a must
A tube amp would also be a big plus, but I've heard that solid states come with more built-in FX? (Actually, I've
heard that tube amps RARELY come with built-in effects but my source wasn't really reliable :O )

It doesn't need to go really loud as it's for bedroom use. I haven't reached band-worthy skills yet and probably
wont for another two years :P.

And now probably the most important thing. My budget :O
I've managed to save up 500€ for an amp, according to google that's 710$.
However, if you guys recommend me a more expensive amp (600€-ish) my 18th birthday is coming up soon so I might take a look at it. (BUT only if it is super awesome and all :O )
Oh, and I live in Belgium so keep in mind shipping please.

Enlighten me with your amp knowledge!!
Peavey 6505

Spider Valve

The Peavey has Ridiculous gain but the Line 6 has a lot of effects on board and also has a decent amount of gain.

Inb4 Spider with t00bz bandwagon

EDIT: and supposedly spider valves are on sale for $400 at Sam Ash.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Aug 12, 2009,
If you only want something to mess around with in the bedroom I wouldn't blow all that money at once. Get a basic digital amp if you want effects and then either save the rest or use it on a nice guitar. Later when you want something louder with a better tone you can use the money on a nice tube amp.

The Spider Valve might be a good choice for the best of both worlds, never heard one though.
Quote by mattvl
If you only want something to mess around with in the bedroom I wouldn't blow all that money at once.

Might as well get one that will last now and sounds good so he'll know what's good for the future when he wants a halfstack or somethin better. Then he'll have a great amp for practice too
The 6505 and Spider Valve would be loud enough to gig with if your looking for a gigging amp also.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Yeah, I'm basicly looking for an amp that will last.
I'm really digging the peavey 6505 tone.
The spider valve sounds 'so-so', is the versatility worth it to consider it instead of the 6505?
The Engl thunder 50 sounds awesome for the metalcore, but it's a wee bit too expensive for now.

If you guys can list me lower wattage amps, that's also great! It'll probably save me a few bucks as well :P
how is the blackstar ht5 for me?
There are very few low wattage high gain tube amps that are cheap. The HT5 has some gain, but not enough for metalcore, at least to me.
Hm, like that huh. I thought low wattage amps had higher gain because they're more easily overdriven.

My decision is currently resting on the Peavey 6505
If my dad is willing to jump in a bit, I might go for the Engl Thunder 50 (hey, I'm turning 18 this month, what can he say xD )

I am still open to suggestions though
Quote by Toxc
Hm, like that huh. I thought low wattage amps had higher gain because they're more easily overdriven.

My decision is currently resting on the Peavey 6505
If my dad is willing to jump in a bit, I might go for the Engl Thunder 50 (hey, I'm turning 18 this month, what can he say xD )

I am still open to suggestions though

it lacks the bass response of higher wattage amps.

either the engl or peavey are choice for -core music
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
the Engl Thunder 50 sells for 680€ (including shipping) on eBay,
and I just convinced my dad to jump in for 150€ :P

Am I making the right choice here? I want to be really sure :O
The -core music is the music I want to play the most.
(sorry for being such a pussy, but I'm putting my heart and soul into this :O)
Last edited by Toxc at Aug 12, 2009,
You'll love it. Just the cleans are a lil meh..
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by Ghold125
The HT5 has some gain, but not enough for metalcore, at least to me.

I can't get much from mine.... Black Sabbath tops

daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
First thing I do when I wake up tomorrow (around noon probably, gotta love vacation) is buying that amp!

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.