Does anyone know why the Peavey XXX combo was discontiued? So many people seem to like it and the Valveking and Classic don't exactly fill the void.

I'm asking because I'm looking into buying one and I'm wondering why a good amp would suddenly be dumped and not replaced with a better version, unless the new 6505 100 watter is supposed to do that.
Some places still have left-over stock at cheaper prices. Similar to the way in which the Vox ADVT range is still hanging around in dealers around the globe, and the Fender American Standard 2007 guitar models.
I have two guesses.

1.The name XXX doesn't exactly prompt parents into buying it for their budding 14 year old guitarist. Same goes for church players.

2.Currently there seems to be more interest in amps that come with EL34s.

The 3120 is essentially a XXX with those changes.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Aug 12, 2009,
^Yeah but the 3120 still only comes in head form, also the triple x=3120, only changes where cosmetic and shipped tubes, ethier amp can run EL34s or 6l6s, you probably know this but am just making it a bit more clear.
TS My guess is pretty close to Bobs, the name turned off many church musicians, which primarly play combos. Also most people how are looking for an amp like the triple X is looking to get the tone and sound of a Half Stack. The Combos have been discod since around 2005, Peavey must not have sold enough, or was just simply cutting back on thier product line, also this was the same time the JSX amps where relased, that could have somthing to do with it as well.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by yjeezy45
Does anyone know why the Peavey XXX combo was discontiued? So many people seem to like it and the Valveking and Classic don't exactly fill the void.

I'm asking because I'm looking into buying one and I'm wondering why a good amp would suddenly be dumped and not replaced with a better version, unless the new 6505 100 watter is supposed to do that.

3120 = Triple X..

Same wiring. Better quality EQ. Doesn't react as horribly to poor speakers.

That's why it was discontinued.
"We programmed in death...A thousand needles lie here to inject their lies."
^ The Curcitry is idenical in every way, EQ's have not changed, the only difference is the cosmetics and the tubes that ship with the amps. The main reason why people like the 3120 over the Triple X is becuase these amp like EL34's better than 6l6's, which is most likly due to the fact that the amp bias sweep is pretty cold for most 6l6's, where as with EL34 the amp has plenty of current to get the tubes good and hot. A warmer bias=better tone, and no crossover distorion, a cold bias=harsher tone with crossover distortion. To get out of crossvoer distortion most tubes need the have around 65% dispensation, still most guitarest prefer a dipensation rate between 70-85%, granted setting an amp up with 85% dispensation will decrease the life of the tubes, but the amp will have less head room and sound so much thicker and full. With the bias point at, 70-79 is where most poeple prefer the dispensation for best tone and tube life. The simple fact is you need a very hot set of 6l6's to get the Triple X or 3120 over 75% dispensation with the bias sweep set to full in 6l6 mode. With the factory setting set to around 50-60% despensation, which does not even get the amp out of crossover distortion. In EL34 mode its hard to set the amp below 60% dispensation, so basically even on the lowest bias setting the amp is almost out of cross over distortion in EL34 mode, and set at 50% is typically running around 70% which is nice and tasty. Sorry for the long post probably more than you wanted to know, but since I got my bias probe I had to figure out why the Triple X prefers EL34's, and this was the data I found.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
^ Yep but its not somthing I would recomend to a noob, if you do that you must have a way to metet the bias, not useing the test points. The bias probe from eurotubes works great and is very budget friendly.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6