Hey Pit,

I'm headed off to college in a few weeks, and I'm looking for a good speaker system to put in my dorm room to connect to my laptop.

I'd be looking for 4-5 speakers and a subwoofer. What are some great quality, not crazy-expensive brands/models to look at? I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to audio gear that's not guitar-related.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by One on Sunday
I'm sure the other students on your floor would love to hear you blasting Slipknot everyday

Oh, you're so funny. That wasn't quite the question. Please ignore what I would actually be playing, and focus on what I can play it through.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
I bet they can't wait for your 4-5 speaker + subwoofer set up
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Quote by One on Sunday
I'm sure the other students on your floor would love to hear you blasting Slipknot everyday

wow that was mature

i got a logitech system for about 80 bucks. its really good. check them out maybe? or go to an electronics/computer store
Quote by One on Sunday

No, no, you're doing it wrong. You have to play extremely bad electro house every morning around 6.

Remembering me...
Discover and see...
All over the world...
She's known as a girl...
To those who are free...
The mind shall be key...
Forgotten as the past...
And history will last........
God is a girl,
Wherever you are.
Can you believe it?
Can you receive it?...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Guys, come on now. I'm doing this cuz I like music, and hate the speakers on my laptop. Not to be cool. Grow up.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
To your laptop? Make sure you have one hell of a soundcard capable of handling that. And are you planning on making wall-mounted surround sound? If so, there's no point in doing that to your dorm. since you will move out next year. Also, it might not be allowed. I say just stick with the standard speakers for now.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
please know that the majority of college students are intelligent enough to know that slipknot sucks. so be ready to not make any friends
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
you dont need moar speakers
Quote by texasthrasher
Cover your ears(or they WILL be raped) that is ****ing great

I survived weeding out 09'
Quote by AeroRocker
To your laptop? Make sure you have one hell of a soundcard capable of handling that. And are you planning on making wall-mounted surround sound? If so, there's no point in doing that to your dorm. since you will move out next year. Also, it might not be allowed. I say just stick with the standard speakers for now.

mmmk, so let's re-evaluate. Not wall-mounted, probly just desktop speakers. And it doesn't have to get super loud, so maybe not so many speakers, I'm just looking for good sound quality.

EDIT: I wasn't planning to listen to Slipknot anyways. So that's a few posts wasted.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
mmmk, so let's re-evaluate. Not wall-mounted, probly just desktop speakers. And it doesn't have to get super loud, so maybe not so many speakers, I'm just looking for good sound quality.

EDIT: I wasn't planning to listen to Slipknot anyways. So that's a few posts wasted.

Yeah if you're just going to have them on your desktop, then getting any more than three speakers is useless. I have some Dell speakers that come with a nice bass, which I keep on the floor. Also fairly inexpensive. Want me to look up the model number?
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by AeroRocker
Yeah if you're just going to have them on your desktop, then getting any more than three speakers is useless. I have some Dell speakers that come with a nice bass, which I keep on the floor. Also fairly inexpensive. Want me to look up the model number?

If you wouldn't mind, that'd be great. I just want to know what to look for/avoid.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Okay everyone is being annoying. I went to Wal Mart and got the $40 surround sound package and mounted it to the walls of my room with thumb tacks and scotch tape. For two years now, it has hung in perfect balance, and I will be setting it up in my new apartment next weekend. It sounds great, especially with my laptop, but also with my turntable and iPod and tv, playstation, etc.

I know people were being sarcastic, but if you set up a Wii or something with an HDTV and surround sound, you WILL have a bunch of people coming over to play it all the time (if you invite them and don't sit on your ass all day in your room). Worked for me and my room mate.

If you wait til move-in week, then you can get your room mate to to go wal mart with you and go halfsies on a better system, then buy it out from him at the end of the year or vice versa.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Wiis aren't HD.

Also how big is your dorm room? I know mine definitely wasn't big enough for a 5.1 setup.

Infact I'm still at uni and the only thing stopping me from getting a 5.1 setup is the fact that there is not much room to put them (I'm in a house now, not student halls) and the fact that they'd be too loud, so I'd never get to use them when I wanted to.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Wiis aren't HD.

Also how big is your dorm room? I know mine definitely wasn't big enough for a 5.1 setup.

Not very. Which is why my first post was probably overkill. I don't think I'd go for 5.1 either, for the same reason. Just some good, high sound quality speakers for me.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
The first post about Slipknot was targeting that no one wants to hear your music. I even get annoyed when i'm trying to concentrated and my sister is listening to music. Especially if you want a subwoofer? If i was studying for a test i wouldnt want to hear that DUM DUM DUM beat.

No offense to your music, just keep in mind the comfort of the other people there.
Quote by One on Sunday
The first post about Slipknot was targeting that no one wants to hear your music. I even get annoyed when i'm trying to concentrated and my sister is listening to music. Especially if you want a subwoofer? If i was studying for a test i wouldnt want to hear that DUM DUM DUM beat.

No offense to your music, just keep in mind the comfort of the other people there.

Let's pretend I don't stupidly turn up my music loud enough to be a nuisance. All I want is to be able to listen to music by myself or with some friends in my room, not be a dick about it.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE