OK, I'm totally stuck on this. Basically, I can't do the fast-16th-palm-muting-with-chords stuff which sounds so badass in thrash. Y'know, where you have something like four 16ths and a power chord in between each burst?

I know they're not thrash otherwise, but this is what I mean...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhrp_h_BkPs

(dammit, the sound quality is atrocious)

Or something like this...

|----------------------|
|----------------------|
|----------------------|
|------9------4------5-|
|------7------2------3-|
|-0000---0000---0000---|

... and so on.

My problem is not the motion of the pick whilst muting - I can do that just fine, and at speed (i.e. trem picking). The problem I have is timing. When I start the first 16th palm mute burst on a downstroke, I then end up obviously hitting the chord with a downstroke. But now I'm starting the next 16th burst with an upstroke, and hitting the chord upside down. Is this the way to do it? It feels totally wrong.

Also, getting the pick to jump to other strings when PMing feels horrendous when I'm planting my hand on the body to mute. I've been trying to do it slowly for years, but it's never come to me. By now it seems like it never will. "Practice practice practice" yeah yeah whatever, but after 3 years it feels a bit dumb not making any progress at all. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

I don't normally poke my nose in here because I'm determined to figure out things out on my own, but this time I really am stuck with nowhere to go. Help and stuff?
Last edited by DaFjory at Aug 12, 2009,
P
R
A
C
T
I
C
E

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Ok, three things, three paths you can take.

One: Alot of thrash is played with entirely downstrokes anyway- in which case you need to work with a metronome and slowly increase the speed.

Two: for the rhythm that you suggest, there would normally be a gap so that each chord part is longer than one strum (giving you time to move your hand back to start with a downstroke for each burst).

Three: I think the actual rhythm to that (or at least a more common rhythm) is:

--------------------------------------------------------------
------------9---------4---------5-----------------------------
------------7---------2---------3----------------------------
--0-0-0-0---0-0-0----0-0-0------------------------------------------------

Which would make each chord a downstroke, and the last chord is held.

Is that what your meant?

Otherwise, you're right, its a very odd rhythm indeed!
Quote by Tyler Durden
P
R
A
C
T
I
C
E

I take it you're just being a sarky git on purpose? I already said that 3 years has produced nothing whatsoever. When you "practice" for so long without results, it means you're doing something wrong.

Quote by KoenDercksen
Start each burst with a downstroke, it'll make it alot easier.

Ahhhhhhhhh! See now we're getting somewhere. For some reason, I had this idea that everything had to be alternate picked - as in, no consecutive downstrokes.

Thanks. I'll give that a go for a while.

Quote by KoenDercksen
For jumping to other strings, it shouldn't feel different from just jumping to other strings

I know it really shouldn't... but because I'm hitting a chord instead of just a single adjacent string, it always feels very awkward. Making the pick hit 2 strings with a downstroke and then coming back up to the low E for another downstroke fucks me up completely, as someone who's done nothing but alternate pick everything (can't stand economy).

Quote by chainsawguitar
I think the actual rhythm to that (or at least a more common rhythm) is:

------------7---------2---------3----------------------------
--0-0-0-0---0-0-0----0-0-0------------------------------------------------

I noticed that, too. At speed, there doesn't seem to be much difference to the one I posted. But slowed down (and at least for the purpose of timing), the 4-note burst sounds better than a 3-note one to my ears.
Last edited by DaFjory at Aug 12, 2009,
Learn some Riffs from Testament, Overkill, and Death and play very slowyly with a metronome. Everyway you pick something is how you want to do it. Thrash comes from OLD punk like the misfits so learning that may help. I do three notes between power chords. Galloping is very useful too 0-0-0 (pause) 0-0-0 (pause)...
Gear

Jackson DKM2 Dinky, Seymour Duncan Pickups, Jackson Patented FLoyd Rose, Maple Neck
Line6 Spider III, Line6 FBV footboard, BOSS SuperShifter PS-5
Tascam US-122, ZOOM Rythmtrak RT-123, Zoom MRS-4 MultiTrak
Drumsite, Audacity
ALSO augmented and dimished chords = THRASH HEAVEN
Gear

Jackson DKM2 Dinky, Seymour Duncan Pickups, Jackson Patented FLoyd Rose, Maple Neck
Line6 Spider III, Line6 FBV footboard, BOSS SuperShifter PS-5
Tascam US-122, ZOOM Rythmtrak RT-123, Zoom MRS-4 MultiTrak
Drumsite, Audacity
i wish I could sing like that guy

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
For some reason, I had this idea that everything had to be alternate picked - as in, no consecutive downstrokes.

Actshually, in thrash and metal in general the most common rhythm figure is probably the 8th-16th-16th gallop played DDU DDU so that the downs land on the beat. Give that a try - although it's a good idea to be able to alternate it or start it on an upstroke.
The intro to Under The Influence (Rusty Cooley song, not Overkill) is something I had a problem with too, its fairly similar. I found playing the straight 16ths harder than playing the gallop Freepower just mentioned so I just did the gallop and didn't think about it. After playing it as a gallop for ages, I eventually (somehow) managed to play it as straight 16ths. Try that and see if its any use.