Should I be using a note chart when I'm practicing scales or should I have COMPLETELY learned the notes on the fret board by now?
I would say use the note chart for a short period of time, for example use the note chart to memorize F major scale first since the first position starts on the first fret it will make memorizing the positions that much easier because they're in order. After that you can move to G and so on until you have all the scales memorized, then if u want to get into modes you can start the process over again or even make flash cards it sounds cheezy but it helps.
Quote by DukeFame
I would say use the note chart for a short period of time, for example use the note chart to memorize F major scale first since the first position starts on the first fret it will make memorizing the positions that much easier because they're in order. After that you can move to G and so on until you have all the scales memorized, then if u want to get into modes you can start the process over again or even make flash cards it sounds cheezy but it helps.

Yea I'm going to make those flash cards so when I go back to school I can do that there. lol

I have my guitar tuned to drop C (CGCFAD) so i've started with the C major scale. So i'll just move up from there.
Quote by DukeFame

Better yet. You can memorize what notes are in a scale (not where to play each scale on the fretboard) Then memorize all the notes on the fretboard.

So now you can think "Ok, this song is in the Key of F. The key of F has F G A A# C D E, so I'll only play those notes."

And since you memorized the fretboard you will know where those notes are.
Quote by Ssargentslayer

And since you memorized the fretboard you will know where those notes are.

just because you know where the notes are, it doesnt mean your fingers know where they are.

scale patterns and theory go hand in hand.
You shouldn't just "practise scales"...you should "practise using scales".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You shouldn't just "practise scales"...you should "practise using scales".

AH HA! Exactly! that's exactly what one should do with scales or when trying to remember them.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Last edited by allislost at Aug 13, 2009,