Hey guys, I am getting a new recording setup for my birthday. I am planning on recording a solo album with some original songs that I am currently writing. I have a macbook and I have decided to get the new logic pro that is coming out, it looks awesome! My question to you guys is, what else do you think would be beneficial in my setup? Here's what I have/decided to get...

Macbook (Intel Processor) (Have it)
Logic Pro 9 (Getting it)
Shure SM57 (For recording instruments) (Have it)
AKG 220 Condenser Mic (For recording vocals) (Getting it)
Presonus Firestudio Project (Recording Interface) (Have it)
These Speakers (For playback) (Getting them)

Questions:

Is there anything else that you guys would recommend I put in my chain? (Compressor, EQ pedal, etc?)

P.S. This is just for my home studio but I want my final product to sound as professional as possible. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I changed some stuff around based off of the info I got from your responses, thanks! Any other suggestions?
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
Last edited by Pants99 at Aug 13, 2009,
Get a keyboard with midi out so you can play the synths and sampler on logic, this will alow you to do drums and any other instruments. Doesnt have to be anything fancy/expensive.
I think you should get a condensor mic for the vocals. I use the Studio Projects B1 these days (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1Mic/) and it's much better than the price indicates. Other than that I wouldn't add anything, just time to get to know Logic and to get used to the monitors (get plenty of reference listening in).
Oh yea, getting used to logic is essential. If you rush in recording your songs, by the time you finish recording all the songs you'll have learnt a lot and will end up going back over the first few songs you did.
Quote by shmooty
Get a keyboard with midi out so you can play the synths and sampler on logic, this will alow you to do drums and any other instruments. Doesnt have to be anything fancy/expensive.

good idea, thanks a lot
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
Quote by ebon00
I think you should get a condensor mic for the vocals. I use the Studio Projects B1 these days (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1Mic/) and it's much better than the price indicates. Other than that I wouldn't add anything, just time to get to know Logic and to get used to the monitors (get plenty of reference listening in).

Ok, thanks. I will deff try to get used to logic before I try to record anything serious.
Quote by ebon00
I think you should get a condensor mic for the vocals.

I agree. The OM2 is a great live vocal mic, but for recording, there are affordable condensors that will give you great results.

And if not that, then I might suggest getting a better set of monitors, since you haven't actually gotten them yet. I know the M-Audio BM's have their fans, but I've never been crazy about them.
Quote by Pants99
Hey guys, I am getting a new recording setup for my birthday. I am planning on recording a solo album with some original songs that I am currently writing. I have a macbook and I have decided to get the new logic pro that is coming out, it looks awesome! My question to you guys is, what else do you think would be beneficial in my setup? Here's what I have/decided to get...

Macbook (Intel Processor) (Have it)
Logic Pro 9 (Getting it)
Shure SM57 (For recording instruments) (Have it)
Audix OM2 (For recording vocals) (Have it)
Presonus Firestudio Project (Recording Interface) (Have it)
These Speakers (For playback) (Getting them)

Questions:
Would a condenser microphone be better for recording vocals? If so, what kind?

Is there anything else that you guys would recommend I put in my chain? (Compressor, EQ pedal, etc?)

P.S. This is just for my home studio but I want my final product to sound as professional as possible. Thanks in advance!

well logic pro 9 seems to come with jsut about everything (then again it is 500$) the only thing i could recommend is a good condenser. i have a AKG perception 220 and it gives really good results for a pretty decent price (i think its around 180$) it can also record acoustic guitar, and drum over heads. i also want to try it on an upright bass, but im sure the results will be good.
Quote by Dream Pin
I've not heard much good about those M-Audio Monitors.
I keep hearing about how scooped and harsh they sound

I'd recommend these http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/KRK-Rokit-Powered-5-Generation-2?sku=482825

yea i forgot to mention the monitors. the krk's are the same price and seem to have a really good rep. i have them my self and they seem to put out an even mix and the 5's go pretty damn loud (i have it set so the speaker take the sound and make it as loud as it can go without clipping.) i dont think ive ever brough the volume knob past the 60% mark. its loud ill leave it at that.
A couple things to NOT overlook...Buy the HIGHEST quality cables you can get...AND...Make sure you are plugged into a different circuit other than the dishwasher, washer/dryer, refrigerator, AC unit/Heater, microwave etc, etc, etc.
Cables don't make as much difference as people claim. Get some PlanetWaves cables and be done with it.

There was some test done a while back in some university where people compared some well known, well respected brand (can't remember which right now, my apolagies) with what, if I remember correctly, was old metal clothes hangers (or something equally as low-budget, hah.)
No audible difference in the sound.
Quote by Dream Pin
Cables don't make as much difference as people claim. Get some PlanetWaves cables and be done with it.

There was some test done a while back in some university where people compared some well known, well respected brand (can't remember which right now, my apolagies) with what, if I remember correctly, was old metal clothes hangers (or something equally as low-budget, hah.)
No audible difference in the sound.

wow i didnt know that. anyways i think short cable length is the most important part about cables imo. you dont really need more than 5 ft for tracking guitars. also i have like a 30-40 ft mike cable and the results have been perfectly ok, its just a royal pain in the ass.