Ok, awhile back my guitar teacher taught me the major penatonic scale
e|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
B|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|-O-|---|---|
A|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
E|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
and now i looked at this UG lesson http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/major_and_minor_pentatonic_scales.html

and the first grid it shows, it says that this scale is the minor penatonic

????
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
This would be major pentatonic:
e|-|-o-|---|---|-O-|---|
B|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-O-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
A|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
E|-|-o-|---|---|-O-|---|
yeah and the lesson says that is a minor doesn't it?

(To Blue Strat
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by blue_strat
This would be major pentatonic:
e|-|-o-|---|---|-O-|---|
B|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-O-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
A|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
E|-|-o-|---|---|-O-|---|

not necessarily, it depends on where you play it and what you consider the root note. say its played in 5th position, it could be an Am pentatonic or a C major pentatonic.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by KoenDercksen
That means, same pattern but other root notes ^^

this

the minor would be the 1st note on the low e string.
major would be the 2nd on the low e.

its the same pattern, but different root notes
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
^
shanchett, you get an E for Effort

Quote by CodChick

ROFLLOBSTER
that is a minor pentatonic shape. if you were to start on 5 fret that would be an A minor pentatonic. 3 fret=G minor pent. 8 fret= CMinor Pent. so on and so on....
Oh alright I get it, my teacher didn't really go into much explanation on penatonics awhile back, he stuck more to the normal minor and major scales (Ionian and Aeolian?)

I was going to ask him to go more into it but I stopped lessons for financial reasons
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by TK1
not necessarily, it depends on where you play it and what you consider the root note. say its played in 5th position, it could be an Am pentatonic or a C major pentatonic.

Are those all your lessons? if so, in primer 3, you spelled Signature wrong a few times
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by TK1

It may be hard to see, but there are big O's representing the root notes, and small o's representing other scale tones.
Quote by Polystant
e|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
B|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|-O-|---|---|
A|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
E|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
The lowest note of that is the root of the minor pentatonic, so it is normally referred to as the first position of the minor pentatonic scale

The major and minor pentatonics both make all the same shapes on the neck though. Has your teacher taught you about relative scales, and how A minor and C major for example use all the same notes? Pentatonics are the same - A min pent and C maj pent share all the same note, so using the same pattern as above you can also play the major pentatonic - just the root for the major pent is the second note in your diagram, whereas the root of the minor pent is the first note.

Edit: If your big O's are representing root notes, then that is the minor pentatonic

Edit (again): If you know your major and minor scales - pentatonics are essentially just 5 notes from the major or minor scale (hence the 'pent' for '5' in the name). Major pentatonic is the major scale with the 4th and 7th omitted, minor pentatonic is the minor scale with the 2nd and 6th omitted.
Last edited by zhilla at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by zhilla
The lowest note of that is the root of the minor pentatonic, so it is normally referred to as the first position of the minor pentatonic scale

The major and minor pentatonics both make all the same shapes on the neck though. Has your teacher taught you about relative scales, and how A minor and C major for example use all the same notes? Pentatonics are the same - A min pent and C maj pent share all the same note, so using the same pattern as above you can also play the major pentatonic - just the root for the major pent is the second note in your diagram, whereas the root of the minor pent is the first note.

Edit: If your big O's are representing root notes, then that is the minor pentatonic

Edit (again): If you know your major and minor scales - pentatonics are essentially just 5 notes from the major or minor scale (hence the 'pent' for '5' in the name). Major pentatonic is the major scale with the 4th and 7th omitted, minor pentatonic is the minor scale with the 2nd and 6th omitted.

The second and sixth of the minor are omitted or the second and sixth from the relative major are omitted from the minor?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
The second and sixth of the minor are omitted or the second and sixth from the relative major are omitted from the minor?
The major pentatonic is the major scale with the 4th and the 7th omitted.

eg C Maj = C D E F G A B; C Maj Pent = C D E G A

The minor pentatonic is the natural minor scale with the 2nd and 6th omitted.

eg A min = A B C D E F G; A min Pent = A C D E G

So the major pent and its relative minor pent share the same notes, just like the normal major and its relative minor
Last edited by zhilla at Aug 13, 2009,