Page 1 of 2
What would you all say is the very best amp sim that models mesa boogie's and marshall's and all those types you can buy? I have tried out quite a few amp sims and the best one to me is Guitar Rig 3. I like heavy metal so I am only interested in amp sims for metal tones and if anyone was wondering, money is unlimited for this question, I am just interested in what is the best one.
Revalver and PodFarm,

everything else is just varying degrees of shit.
GuitarRig3 is particularly aweful.

but if you are on a pc its worth checking out the freeware amp-sims like SoloC and 8505.
Quote by Dream Pin
ROFL @ amplitube.

I can get amplitube to sound pretty damn good TBH. It get's a lot of **** because you can't load impulse recordings, but all you really need to do is run it through another plug that can.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I can get amplitube to sound pretty damn good TBH. It get's a lot of **** because you can't load impulse recordings, but all you really need to do is run it through another plug that can.

Yea, I agree. I've heard some pretty damn good tones with AT2 and AT-Metal. I wouldn't be so quick to put it down. It's all in the hands of the user, and some users can get great sound out of it.

*EDIT* I meant to ask, has anyone ever used Waves GTR? I never hear much about that among the community on here or Ultimate Metal. I just wonder what it sounds like and if it's worth the money.
Last edited by Matthias King at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by Matthias King

*EDIT* I meant to ask, has anyone ever used Waves GTR? I never hear much about that among the community on here or Ultimate Metal. I just wonder what it sounds like and if it's worth the money.

Its not very good, to put it mildly.

some of the clean tones are good, but its an absolute mess for high (or even medium) gain.
woah woah whats with all this hate on guitar rig 3? i mean you can t get AMAZING results but theyre certainly pretty good. so far ive recorded all of my songs with guitar rig and i think the results are pretty good, with some custominzing i got a pretty good opeth jazz tone. ive just started experimenting with recording guitar amps and distortions do sound a lot better, but i mean its really nice when you can lay down a pretty solid track at 10:30 at night. i tried all the free plugins before guitar rig 3 and frankly i just didnt really like them, of course i didnt really try those impulses. guitar rig 3 imo isnt as bad as people are saying, its like theirs a guitar rig 3 hate wagon.
woah woah whats with all this hate on guitar rig 3? i mean you can t get AMAZING results but theyre certainly pretty good. so far ive recorded all of my songs with guitar rig and i think the results are pretty good, with some custominzing i got a pretty good opeth jazz tone. ive just started experimenting with recording guitar amps and distortions do sound a lot better, but i mean its really nice when you can lay down a pretty solid track at 10:30 at night. i tried all the free plugins before guitar rig 3 and frankly i just didnt really like them, of course i didnt really try those impulses. guitar rig 3 imo isnt as bad as people are saying, its like theirs a guitar rig 3 hate wagon.

The thing is if I'm going to pay that much for something (unless you pirated it, which I'm gonna guess is the case), then think I should get AMAZING results instead of 'pretty good'.
Quote by Thomasoman
The thing is if I'm going to pay that much for something (unless you pirated it, which I'm gonna guess is the case), then think I should get AMAZING results instead of 'pretty good'.

i dont pirate. frankly i dont really like people who pirate. i bought the software for 170$ off of ebay. 300$ imo is way way too much, but i think they've actually lowered the price to 170$, i saw a sale in i think musciansfriend. anyways for ME 170$ is a pretty good price to have some pretty decent sounds. the cleans are actually pretty nice and the distortions arent that bad. Lets face it, as of today their really arent any vst's that replicate a good distortion sound (peavys is the best imo) but i jsut picked up guitar rig because i saw it cheap on ebay and wanted some overall decent sounds. its good for scratch tracks because imo the quality is good enough to show people for critques and listen to my self. Overall im just saying i think people are a bit too harsh on guitar rig (300$ is overpriced tho)
just using a pod here.. someday i'll down and get dirty with those software based amp sims and impulses.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
DIG 2.5 by AcmeBarGig, is good, but they scrapped it, because they found a bug that ruined the whole thing if they tried to fix it.

I got the beta (RC2) of DIG 2.5 and now Guitar Rig sounds bad, revalver cant give me the warm lead tone, the DIG 2.5 gives me.

ABG's upcomming Gestalt (ampsim) is going to blow Guitar Rig, Amplitube, Revalver,... to H3LL

Big facepalm for me, because i actually bought guitar rig 3.

I tried the demo of revalver yesterday, NOOOT impressed, theyr solo tone sucks.

EDIT: http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6371 - DIG 2.0 kicks ass in this comperasion.
Last edited by GisleAune at Aug 13, 2009,
I dont do metal and I LOVE guitar rig 3, for guitars , synths, drums - anything!

To my mind it is the most obvious choice for use as a live rig with the foot control and all. The demo is fully featured and doesn't emit random noise (frankly I'm never sure if its just the 'random noise' or a bug etc that does that)

It's not a resource hog, the GUI is the most intuitive and efficient i have seen yet.

It's tweakable and i get great sounds from it that I am very happy with.

Amplitube fender is quite cool

Revalver - I was initially impressed but the random noise on the demo doesn't help and it is quite resource hungry, jury is still out though.

Sorry to be the black sheep around here, but I'm not really that impressed with any of the ABG stuff - would never consider buying any of it.
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by muckypup
I use Guitar Rig 3 with the Dirthead VST which is free. On its own, Guitar Rig 3 doesn't sound very good but mixed with the rather brutal crunch of Dirthead, I can get very heavy tones like Meshuggah and Metallica.

I'd never heard of Dirthead. I just found it and downloaded it. Do you use it before or after GR3? I don't have GR, but I have AT2 and AT-Metal, so Dirthead might work with them too. Thanks for the heads up.
Quote by GisleAune
^ You gotta try some of the free stuff and you'll facepalm yourself for that

I've tried loads of free stuff - no facepalm - I'm very happy with GR3 thanks
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by CatharsisStudio
intuitize design doesn't mean **** if your tone sucks

Tone doesn't mean **** if your attitude sucks

I'm very happy with it thanks, chances are you have something in your cd collection which uses GR3 and don't realise it, you foul mouthed longhaired gnome.
Quote by Matthias King
I'd never heard of Dirthead. I just found it and downloaded it. Do you use it before or after GR3? I don't have GR, but I have AT2 and AT-Metal, so Dirthead might work with them too. Thanks for the heads up.

I meant I use dirthead on separate tracks when I double things up 4 times. two tracks will be guitar rig 3 and the other two will have dirthead on.
Quote by cuthbertg

chances are you have something in your cd collection which uses GR3 and don't realise it,

Highly unlikely,

the burden of proof lies with you show us a GR3 tone that doesn't suck, and was used on a commercial album.
Quote by TheDriller
Highly unlikely,

the burden of proof lies with you show us a GR3 tone that doesn't suck, and was used on a commercial album.

Well i don't agree, however just a few i can come up with without wearing out google:

Placebo
Kirk Hammett
Dweezil Zappa

Face it, people buy it like it and use it on commercial recordings.

Whether or not you feel that their tone 'sucks' is a matter entirely of opinion

EDIT: Had enough you Nazi scunbags or do ya want some more??

Last edited by cuthbertg at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by CatharsisStudio
kirk hammets tone is always thin unless its recorded with you know....a real amp =)

I dunno dude, havent heard a metallica track for about 10 years so could not possibly comment.

Though last time I checked, he had sold more records than you...............

Anyone else need bringing down a peg or two?
Quote by cuthbertg
Well i don't agree, however just a few i can come up with without wearing out google:

Placebo
Kirk Hammett
Dweezil Zappa

Face it, people buy it like it and use it on commercial recordings.

Whether or not you feel that their tone 'sucks' is a matter entirely of opinion

EDIT: Had enough you Nazi scunbags or do ya want some more??

wind yer neck in kid.
i have yet to encounter anyone other than the typical bedroom guitarists who think GuitarRig3 sounds good. you admit you haven't heard a metallica track in 10 years, yet you put forward kirk hammets tone as an example.

by all means use whatever you want, but if you are going to make big claims you need to back them up with big facts.
Quote by TheDriller
wind yer neck in kid.
i have yet to encounter anyone other than the typical bedroom guitarists who think GuitarRig3 sounds good. you admit you haven't heard a metallica track in 10 years, yet you put forward kirk hammets tone as an example.

by all means use whatever you want, but if you are going to make big claims you need to back them up with big facts.

Balls man,

I like it, plenty of others do too - it gets used on commercial recordings. Face it.

That is not a big claim, it is simply a fact. Just cos you guys don't like it, doesn't mean nobody is going to use it, stop deluding yourself - not everyone shares your views.

You tried to say its not used on commercial recordings, but it is.

I win.

EDIT: I just checked your profile - I'm old enough to be your father - so a bit less of the 'kid' thanks......
Quote by CatharsisStudio
then get the **** off the forum and go show everyone your amazing recording tone!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use the Korg Toneworks Pandora PX4D. I don't know if it's the "best" but it's pretty good. It works for me and I'd say it's worth checking out.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
To say that Kirk Hammett would discard hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gear to plug into a computer for his tone is silly (someone should take away the F***in wah though). They're called endorsements, just like Zak Wylde uses a MG micro stack?
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
seriously, i'd love to hear your amazing guitar rig 3 tone, and its all nice rich over priced harsh digtalness. sure its clean may be wicked and the effects are epic but the distortion on any level is just epic epic epic epic epic epic epic crap.

Sorry dude, but I'm not getting into a pissing contest with a teenager

If you dont have the intelligence to realise that the world does not look to you for the nod on their tone, then there simply is no point.

Each to their own, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that jazz.

No doubt one day I'll post some of my stuff up but until then you're just gonna have to delude yourself that I am wrong.....
Quote by occub
To say that Kirk Hammett would discard hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gear to plug into a computer for his tone is silly (someone should take away the F***in wah though). They're called endorsements, just like Zak Wylde uses a MG micro stack?

Good point
Quote by cuthbertg

If you dont have the intelligence to realise that the world does not look to you for the nod on their tone, then there simply is no point.

No doubt one day I'll post some of my stuff up but until then you're just gonna have to delude yourself that I am wrong.....

there is a gold standard in the quality of tone. despise how its eq'd the is always a diffrence between good tone, and bad tone, despite tastes

guitar rig doesn't meet that quality

also i feel pretty worthless arguing agianst such a perfect recording engineer

i was wrong.

please except my faulter
Quote by cuthbertg
Balls man,

I like it, plenty of others do too - it gets used on commercial recordings. Face it.

That is not a big claim, it is simply a fact. Just cos you guys don't like it, doesn't mean nobody is going to use it, stop deluding yourself - not everyone shares your views.

You tried to say its not used on commercial recordings, but it is.

I win.

EDIT: I just checked your profile - I'm old enough to be your father - so a bit less of the 'kid' thanks......

I never said it didn't get used, i asked for concrete examples of good tones that came from it.

and i don't expect anyone to share my views, only to back up their claims with substantial evidence.

My beef with Guitar Rig is that since its release it has been thoroughly eclipsed by other products, yet NI seem to be very slow to get moving on a follow up. other plugins around the same (or even lower) price point deliver substantially more life-like tones. and thats not even getting into the issue of the excellent freeware that is available.

i have no interest in telling you what to think, and i don't take kindly to being labled a "Nazi Scumbag" either, but i will give my opinion. and you are free to do the same, but if you're going to claim that "chances are you have something in your cd collection which uses GR3 and don't realise it," , then you are going to have to come up with a list of albums to back up that claim.

so you may be old enough to be my father, (as if age is relevant to any discussion),
but im young enough to kick your ass!
Quote by cuthbertg

The point here is that Catharsis has proved time and time again what he is capable of in a recording. age has nothing to do with it, his tone is god-like, and yours is......... well ....... we're waiting
Page 1 of 2