Hey guys!

I'm new to the forum... I have a question I could use some advice

back when i was in highschool, i was REALLY into black/death metal... all about the high gain and extreme music... but as im gettin older (lol only 22 still) my ears are craving warmer, more laid back sounds.

so, i bought a ESP ltd F-400 fm like 5 years ago.. cost me about $1100 new.

don't get me wrong, its a beautiful guitar.. but its just.. not what I desire anymore...
it's definitely got some sentimental value (I've learned most of what I know, on this instrument)

the emg 81's are wicked for metal, but I feel they lack warmth and heart that I am craving..

i like more, stoner/doom metal, maybe some hard rock... hell even bluesy

so anyways, long story short: I'm thinking about selling this guitar.. its in good condition, no major dings or anything, but you can tell its been put to good use

how much you think I could get for it if I put it up for auction?

AND, as hard as it might be to answer... any recomendations on a new geetar? I was lookin at the SE line of PRS (played an SE custom, was OK but neck a bit fatter than im used to)..... something along those lines
might as well just get another amp. tone-wise, your amp is the major difference.
EMG pickups are awesome for most genres.

your bridge pickup is an EMG 60 right? try swapping positions. i heard that putting 81's in neck and 85 in bridge positions should be awesome.

in otherwords, keep the guitar. it looks awesome and i know that ESP's are ****ing killer and also quite versatile. so unless it's because of the looks, i would stick with that guitar and mess around with a lot of other things before selling your axe.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Thanks for the advice man..

it's got 2 emg 81's... they are REALLY nice for high gain and all types of metal... but I want more Queens of the Stone age sounding... hard stoner rock-ish

but your probably right... its an amazing instrument, I am just a bit bored with it
no problem

EMG's got this awesome "quick-connect" system that lets you swap for another set of EMG pikcups easily. you can buy an EMG 85 pickup fairly cheap i think. only about 100-200 USD depending on what country you live in.

i believe that is a pretty good pickup for most styles (i dont know for sure, but that's what ive heard), and you could put that in your guitar, mess around a bit and try some different setups until you find the tone you want
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
I think most people will agree that EMGs have a very sterile sound. You could go for something with Seymour Duncans or DiMaizos. Look at their high gain passive humbuckers.
Quote by Eskil Rask
no problem

EMG's got this awesome "quick-connect" system that lets you swap for another set of EMG pikcups easily. you can buy an EMG 85 pickup fairly cheap i think. only about 100-200 USD depending on what country you live in.

i believe that is a pretty good pickup for most styles (i dont know for sure, but that's what ive heard), and you could put that in your guitar, mess around a bit and try some different setups until you find the tone you want
TS should definetly go for a passive pickup if he wants more of a warmer sound. Not EMG's.

If you like the feel of the guitar, just change the pickups. Look into Dimarzio's and Seymour Duncans. For SD, I would go JB and Jazz, and for Dimarzio, maybe a PAF 36th Anniversary and a Air Norton.

A PRS would do well in that genre. A Les Paul would too.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON

A PRS would do well in that genre.

QFT, They are very versatile. A custom 22 or 24 would be a good choice.
Just sell the EMG's and buy a lower powered set of p-ups with alnico5 magnets. Since that guitar is mahongany with a maple NTB, it'll sound nice with a Duncan Custom/'59 combo. The cash you make on the EMG's should get you close to the cost of the Duncan's (or whatever p-ups you'd go with).

Just because the guitar looks wild doesn't mean that you can play some mellow stuff on it.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar