I've been using this site for tab for years but recently I've been using the forums for researching modding. It's been a great resource so thanks all!

I wondered if anyone had any input on these ideas I've got for Mods -

2001 SG Special, replace the HBs with Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queens p90s because I've never really liked the middle or neck tones. (OR short term get a pair of the cheap Tonerider p90s, for a bit of a play this side of Xmas, and upgrade if I like the sound - or not if I like them that much).

Now that mod would leave me with a 490r and 490t, and as I've always wanted something close to a Gibson ES 335 (but not with the price tag), I'm thinking of getting an Epiphone Dot, sticking those in it, going through the "Challenge" of rewiring the thing with better components and splashing out on pricey bridge/tail and tuners on it. I'd also replace the nut and put some speed knobs on. That to me would get me part of the way towards a 335, but I'd say a lot for my money too (ONLY if I consider the Gibson pups as spares tho!).

The thing which nags me about that one is that there's semis with better wood for a similar price (at least Washburn, Tanglewood and Vintage that I've seen). Putting Gibson bits into an Epi flows better as a concept for me though. As to getting a lucille or Sheraton instead, yep that would be a similar price but surely I'd be getting better hardware this way?

That would keep me busy for a good while. I'm not doing this all straight away so mulling it over.

Cheers!
If you do the first one, you'll need to remove some wood from the SG to fit the p90's. You'd also need a new pickguard (if one's on there) or you'll need to cut it as well.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
If you do the first one, you'll need to remove some wood from the SG to fit the p90's. You'd also need a new pickguard (if one's on there) or you'll need to cut it as well.

Not with the Mississippi Queens - they use P90 components in a humbucker size enclosure, like the SD Phat Cats and Gibson P-94s but they seem to be better thought of (chunk more money too). link: http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ZP-MQ.html
Got enough put away for one Mississippi Queen now, hopefully I'll have enough for the set by the beginning of September.

Been thinking about the Dot project. like all these things ambition has grown... I think this might finally be the guitar where I get a Bigsby (and roller bridge). I don't use much trem, but every so often I wish I'd got one and they add such a classic vibe to the look of a semi. I used to love the look and sound of the Mustang trem on my Jag-Stang. Looking into it, it seems that it might actually add some of the sustain and roundness to the Dot. I always thought Bigsbys would do the opposite...