Page 1 of 2
Hello, I'm kinda new to this forum so excuse my errors.
My birthday is coming up and I am looking towards getting a new guitar. I own a Esp Ltd F-50 which isn't enough for me, thus I am looking for a new one.
I have recently fell in love with V's or Randy Rhoad's guitar shapes.
I now want a Floyd Rose tremolo,
grover tuners,
active pickups if possible,
and a nice neck.
My somewhat budget (can exceed a bit, may lower a bit) is 600$.
On a side note: I am getting a new amp for Christmas for around 300$. Any suggestions?
Used Schecter Hellraiser FR, or if you can do without the FR: Used C-1 Classic or a new C-1 Artist.

You don't really need active pickups though, especially if you have a SS amp.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Where do you live?

Go used. You will most likely find a lot if you go used.

When I think of V's however, I think of Jackson and ESP. Check those brands out.

And what's your amp?
For a guitar, try ESP LTD. Their 401 series has active pickups, grover tuners, and floyd roses, and they're about $700. They have them in just about all shapes, so you can probably find a nice V-shape. Look on their website.

www.espguitars.com
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
Quote by The Red Comet
For a guitar, try ESP LTD. Their 401 series has active pickups, grover tuners, and floyd roses, and they're about $700. They have them in just about all shapes, so you can probably find a nice V-shape. Look on their website.

www.espguitars.com
I can't find one V looking guitar made by ESP that has grover tuners.

TS, you might have to sacrifice on grover tuners.
Asking what guitar to get is like asking what type of fish tastes the best - it's personal taste.

If you like ESP, and you like a rounder neck like the F series has, you could always go and upgrade to the next model in the series. I prefer the MH series from ESP, but that's personal opinion. Many ESP models come with EMGs stock, and 'nice neck' is a super vague term. I like fat necks, like on a Strat - to me, that's a nice neck. I used to prefer the thin C shape - a la Ibanez RG - that was nice to me then. Did you mean the fretboard? Binding? Smooth and flat or more curved?

That said, if you like a V, get a V. Pickups can be changed, so can tuners, and most of your tone comes from the amp. I'd say get a decent guitar, or if you can make do with your current axe, use the 600 on a used tube amp combo.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Oh and I don't know if Grover tuners are a big enough deal to base a whole guitar decision off of. If you're getting a Floyd Rose, it'll have a locking nut, so the tuners are less important in terms of keeping the whole thing in tune. And any ol' tuners can wind up and hold the string, after all.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
hey I got a guitar that you might really like its 599 with a floyd rose. Dean Cbv 1122. I'm actually debating whether to get that or another guitar.
Quote by sweet-cheeks-72
hey I got a guitar that you might really like its 599 with a floyd rose. Dean Cbv 1122. I'm actually debating whether to get that or another guitar.

Haha, ironic how I am a Trivium fan, I'm surprised I haven't considered that. Thank you for the suggestion.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Where do you live?

Go used. You will most likely find a lot if you go used.

When I think of V's however, I think of Jackson and ESP. Check those brands out.

And what's your amp?

I have a line 6 spider III forgot what wattage it was.
Quote by SynAce

I'm sorry.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by SynAce

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Artist-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar?sku=518187

But seriously, get a new amp. If you get a guitar with active pickups it will only sound as good as its supposed to through a tube amp.

Quote by SynAce
Yeah, I understand that. What is a well priced tube amp that I would be able to afford?
If you go used you can afford a lot. Are you gigging? I assume you play metal.

Peavey 5150
Peavey 6505
B-52 AT-112
Randall RGTC50
Peavey Vypyr
Line 6 Flextone
Vox Valvetronix
Blackstar HT-5
Roland Cube
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Aug 12, 2009,
I don't know about the guitar, but get a B52 At112 60W for the amp. I got mine for around 320, so you should be able to swing it. It's awesome, especially for a tube amp at the price.
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
His amp budget was 300...theres no finding a working used 5150,6505,or B-52 that I know of. If I'm wrong though I'll have a new amp very soon =P

Quote by strat0blaster
Asking what guitar to get is like asking what type of fish tastes the best - it's personal taste.

If you like ESP, and you like a rounder neck like the F series has, you could always go and upgrade to the next model in the series. I prefer the MH series from ESP, but that's personal opinion. Many ESP models come with EMGs stock, and 'nice neck' is a super vague term. I like fat necks, like on a Strat - to me, that's a nice neck. I used to prefer the thin C shape - a la Ibanez RG - that was nice to me then. Did you mean the fretboard? Binding? Smooth and flat or more curved?

That said, if you like a V, get a V. Pickups can be changed, so can tuners, and most of your tone comes from the amp. I'd say get a decent guitar, or if you can make do with your current axe, use the 600 on a used tube amp combo.

Hey, would a Dean Dimebag Razorback be good?
Quote by SynAce
Hey, would a Dean Dimebag Razorback be good?
No. Anything with Dimebag's name or Trivium's name on it is overpriced and not worth it.
His amp budget was 300...theres no finding a working used 5150,6505,or B-52 that I know of. If I'm wrong though I'll have a new amp very soon =P
Not if he puts everything to the amp, which he should.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
No. Anything with Dimebag's name or Trivium's name on it is overpriced and not worth it.
Not if he puts everything to the amp, which he should.

But you must agree, I should get a better guitar too.
I just played a Dean Razorback Explosion LFR. It was decent for the price and did everything you would expect it to do. However, I hear that those DB series stuff can be very hit or miss. There is a chance I played a gem.

Quote by SynAce
But you must agree, I should get a better guitar too.
Not really. If you're looking for a better sound, the guitar is not what you just be replacing.

The LTD-50 is not the greatest, but it's not as bad as your amp.
Quote by leftyace
I just played a Dean Razorback Explosion LFR. It was decent for the price and did everything you would expect it to do. However, I hear that those DB series stuff can be very hit or miss. There is a chance I played a gem.

Do you think this will be any good?
http://www.rondomusic.com/product2205.html
The specs are definitely decent. Im not a big fan of V's because of how they sit in your lap while sitting so I personally wouldn't get it. I also don't have any personal experience with Agiles so it would be smart for you to find the official Agile thread and ask around there.

Get a B52 AT 112. Its a good amp for its relatively low price.

As for a guitar, look the LTD 401 series. Good guitars and around your price range. If you can, look for a used 500 series, as they are on par, if not a little better than the 400/401's
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by Metlhead443
Get a B52 AT 112. Its a good amp for its relatively low price.

As for a guitar, look the LTD 401 series. Good guitars and around your price range. If you can, look for a used 500 series, as they are on par, if not a little better than the 400/401's

How is the Line 6 Spider III 75? I've heard good stuff about that amp.
No you havent.

/endihatelien6spiderIIgeneralbandwagonremark

I played one and actually liked it. A lot. Of course, It was at bedroom levels.
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Quote by alexdoabismo
No you havent.

/endihatelien6spiderIIgeneralbandwagonremark

I played one and actually liked it. A lot. Of course, It was at bedroom levels.

Why not?
Well, most people in these forums bash the living hell out of those amps. But I really liked them, decent cleans, a nice metal sound (which is probably what your looking for), a b****load of cool song presets...just dont gig with them and youll be fine.
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Quote by alexdoabismo
Well, most people in these forums bash the living hell out of those amps. But I really liked them, decent cleans, a nice metal sound (which is probably what your looking for), a b****load of cool song presets...just dont gig with them and youll be fine.

Lol, I'm not at that stage where I'll be gigging, but why wouldn't it be good for gigging?

Also tell me if this would work for me
http://www.ibanez.com/Electronics/model-MIMX65
the line 6 sounds amazing...on paper. its a fantastic idea, but its just not that good. and you're not gigging now, but what if you are in three months? Things change at a moments notice, and the B52 is always going to sounds better than the Spider III.

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

Quote by Metlhead443
the line 6 sounds amazing...on paper. its a fantastic idea, but its just not that good. and you're not gigging now, but what if you are in three months? Things change at a moments notice, and the B52 is always going to sounds better than the Spider III.

I understand that, but I don't know much about tube/valve amps.
Would this suffice?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-MIMX65-MIMX-65W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481062
I would just go with the B52. I have yet to hear anything good about an Ibanez amp.

Quote by leftyace
I would just go with the B52. I have yet to hear anything good about an Ibanez amp.

Alright, I guess I'll check it out at a local music shop if they have it. Is it any good for heavy metal though?
Yep. it should fit your needs pretty well. If you really feel the need for more gain you can just pick up a decent distortion pedal.

Quote by SynAce
Alright, I guess I'll check it out at a local music shop if they have it. Is it any good for heavy metal though?

yes it is. this kid does a good job reviewing it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW9KtD2JhO4

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

Quote by leftyace
Yep. it should fit your needs pretty well. If you really feel the need for more gain you can just pick up a decent distortion pedal.

True that. Well I got the amp covered, but now the guitar....
I stick by my first post for guitar.

I just got my Schecter V-1 Damien Diamond Series with an FR for something $450.

With the extra cash, you could put a new set of strings on it, and get some strap locks so it doesn't nosedive on you.
Page 1 of 2