Just play around and try to stay in key, thats all there is to it, if it sounds good, well done
Scales and it's feel, if you don't have that too bad
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
It is a very large favor and unrealistic thing to ask of someone in a thread, telling you how to improvise. Take lessons, get books, transcribe your favorite solos. You'll thank me later

Edit: Learning Jazz can help too
Current Gear
Ibanez Prestige S2170SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Blackface Head
Soldano 4x12 Slant Cab w/ Eminence Speakers
MXR ZW-44

Want List:
ISP Decimator
Nova Repeater
Maxon OD808
Seymour Duncan Blackouts
i dont know how to stay in key can i only use notes that have the same name as the chords in the song?
Hoping i don't get perma-banned

SUIT UP!
transcribe?? what?, iv been playing for 5 years at least, and i dont know what the **** this major minor sharpe flat pentatonic scales and intervals **** is about. and i cant read music so i cant find any help online. how do i stay in the key of a song?

SUIT UP!
We can't explain it to you. It's like asking someone to tell you how to paint like Picasso.

Don't you take lessons? From 5 supposed years of playing you know almost nothing. Get some lessons with someone who knows his blues stuff well. If you understand blues soloing you can apply it to rock and metal easily.
Quote by classrock77
that stuff makes no sense whatsoever.

wtf is a degree?

I thought that article was easy to comprehend. If you've been playing for at least 5 years, then you should at least know the very basics of music theory. Try getting a teacher who knows his/her theory.
"Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth." -
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wish I was gay.

Quote by cashewchaching
Even though he's an ugly woman, my favorite is john mayer.
Quote by classrock77
that stuff makes no sense whatsoever.

wtf is a degree?

use google ffs

i've got no time to help people who can't be arsed to help themselves. You want to know how to stay in key? Learn theory.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i took lessons for a while at first, learned all my chords. thats it, he was a douche. i gave up guitar for 2+ years then actually. but i mean, with tabs i can learn almost anything i try to learn, i can figure out chords and songs by ear. i can play songs. and not your basic beginner songs either trust me. but im on my own for learning things like this. i mean i discovered harmonics and pinch harmonics and before the nut bending all on my own. i ddint know they existed. iv had to do every step my self.

SUIT UP!
Quote by steven seagull
use google ffs

i've got no time to help people who can't be arsed to help themselves. You want to know how to stay in key? Learn theory.

i used google. the majority of it isn't tabs, its the music i cant read. and trust me iv went through the bloody crusade twice. and tried other lessons on here and elsewhere.
so **** off if your gonna be a dick and assume ****.

SUIT UP!
Last edited by classrock77 at Aug 12, 2009,
and i live in a town in the middle of no where with a population of 40, im the only guitar player, and i have no way of transportation for myself.

also my internet is too slow to watch videos, so youtube or the like won't work either.

SUIT UP!
Last edited by classrock77 at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by classrock77
i took lessons for a while at first, learned all my chords. thats it, he was a douche. i gave up guitar for 2+ years then actually. but i mean, with tabs i can learn almost anything i try to learn, i can figure out chords and songs by ear. i can play songs. and not your basic beginner songs either trust me. but im on my own for learning things like this. i mean i discovered harmonics and pinch harmonics and before the nut bending all on my own. i ddint know they existed. iv had to do every step my self.

Ok, you've had to do every step yourself and now you don't know how to improvise. Get a teacher or start reading books. And stop triple posting.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by libertines4ever
by the look of things I've got to post a theory lesson that is easy to understand

my problem with the crusade and others is that the diction used isnt
explained, its just repeated names that i dont know what they mean.

SUIT UP!
Again, use google
Quote by classrock77
i used google. the majority of it isn't tabs, its the music i cant read. and trust me iv went through the bloody crusade twice. and tried other lessons on here and elsewhere.
so **** off if your gonna be a dick and assume ****.

You don't need tabs, you need to do some old fashioned studying. Improvising is creating stuff off the top of your head, tabs are how you learn songs, not how to play the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by classrock77
my problem with the crusade and others is that the diction used isnt
explained, its just repeated names that i dont know what they mean.

exactly it's explained very complicated on the UG lessons and with some extra stuff that isn't necessary
Quote by steven seagull
Again, use google

You don't need tabs, you need to do some old fashioned studying. Improvising is creating stuff off the top of your head, tabs are how you learn songs, not how to play the guitar.

i agree, its not really writing the actual solo i want help with, its staying in key so it sounds right.

SUIT UP!
I learned everything I know about formal theory from google, everytime I come across something I don't know I just google it, if I find an article with words I don't understand I google them too, and I keep googling until eventually I reach an article where I understand everything, which means I'll understand everything else I googled before, then I can stop.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

If your internet access is that bad and there's nobody local that can help I'd try a book like the Tune A Day books - they teach you to play guitar and read music at the same time, and explain the basics of the theory. I'm sure there are other books that do the same thing, but I used tune a day books before for other instruments so I know they work.
im just gonna go to bed. peace, thanks, especially to libertines4ever, he at least understood my problem.

SUIT UP!
Quote by steven seagull
I learned everything I know about formal theory from google, everytime I come across something I don't know I just google it, if I find an article with words I don't understand I google them too, and I keep googling until eventually I reach an article where I understand everything, which means I'll understand everything else I googled before, then I can stop.

Damn you're one clever Seagull
Well, I'd suggest you learn a few scales first. The pentatonic scale is probably the most versatile since it can cover major and minor keys (right?). I think the pentatonic scale should cover most songs. Then just find what notes stick out in the song (ie:the root note or what it resolves to).

Take the scale and move it to that note and play notes within the scale however you see fit.

The more scales/modes you know, the better off you'll be (as long as you know when to use them).

(I'm still learning theory myself so if I made any mistakes please tell me :3)
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
77....when i first started playin' my idea of keepin' key was to revert back to a certain chord when I played. for example chord progressions, i feel em'

I V VI I V bla bla.....you don't need 2 know all the language 2 play good and stay in key, all of what you read in books is just a "language". like chaos says..."find the note or chord that "sticks" out" and you got it.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Quote by steven seagull

This.

just search everything on google or wiki...

5 years of not understanding the relationship between notes and pitches is a helluva long time.

TS why dont you just learn sheet music then if you say the only available resources in google are written on staff? With that said, u dont need to be able to read sheet music; you just have to not be retarded to be able to look up music theory on google.

This might seem harsh, but if you're exuding the attitude you're showing now, no one's going to help you, and you will forever lack understanding of the guitar.