I have an Edge III on my RGT42DX. I decided I didn't like how much effort it took to push the bar down. I wanted to do rapid bar diving so I figured I'd remove a spring.

What I did was block the cavity with a stack of picks. I tuned the guitar and then started reducing tension in the back cavity by unscrewing the two screws a bit. I did so alot until I was able to remove the middle spring. I then went and scooted the other two springs over one space each. So now they are on the far edges of the sustain block, but on the 2nd and 4th notches on the other side.

Anyways, I then proceeded to tighten up the screws in the back again. My plan was to just do this until I could get the proper trem angle at the proper tuning. However, now my problem is that I have the screws in the back screwed all the way in as far as they will possibly go in and I still can't get the tuning into standard without the bridge sticking up. Is there a solution to this, other than getting lower gauge strings (I'm using standard 9-42s)?

I was thinking maybe the screws need to be shortened?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by blue_strat
Put that spring back on and just loosen the trem claw screws.

Won't that just throw the angle off?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by soul.power
Won't that just throw the angle off?

All you can do is balance the tension of the strings (via string gauge and tuning) against the tension of the trem springs (via number of springs and how tight you stretch them by the claw screws).

If you want less tension, you could go down a string gauge.
1. String the guitar.
2. Remove a trem spring.
3. Tune the guitar.
4. Loosen the trem springs.
5. Tune the guitar again.
6. Loosen the trem springs.
7. Tune the guitar again.
Repeat as necessary until the guitar is tuned to pitch and the bridge platform (where the trem bar goes in) is level with the body of the guitar.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Aug 12, 2009,
You could get some stronger springs, that's all i can think of on the top of my head, but i guess it would put you to point blank. but as far as i know the only way to get less tension is to swap to a smaller gauge and set it up again.
I wanted to make it easier to push the bar down. So I took off a spring and retuned.

I tightened the trem claw all the way with two springs on it and found that I still couldn't get to standard tuning with 9-42 strings without the bridge angling up.

That's what the back looks like. Then I try to put it in standard tuning and the bridge goes all the way up.

Looks like its impossible to do with two springs and 9-42 strings.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by soul.power
I wanted to make it easier to push the bar down. So I took off a spring and retuned.

I tightened the trem claw all the way with two springs on it and found that I still couldn't get to standard tuning with 9-42 strings without the bridge angling up.

That's what the back looks like. Then I try to put it in standard tuning and the bridge goes all the way up.

Looks like its impossible to do with two springs and 9-42 strings.

I've got 9 gauges on my S with two springs. It isn't impossible.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
You'll need 3 springs still. you will have less tension than you had with 3 springs and 10's, which i assume is what you started with.
Quote by strat0blaster
I've got 9 gauges on my S with two springs. It isn't impossible.

You must have different springs then. Ones that may be tighter.

You'll need 3 springs still. you will have less tension than you had with 3 springs and 10's, which i assume is what you started with.

Nope I started with 9's.

I guess my trem bar resistance will have to stay then. I would like it lower but I guess its not possible with my bridge/strings/springs.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Look, there's absolutely nothing you can do - removing a spring changes nothing on a floating bridge. All it means is you'll have to tighten the remaining springs to get the bridge back level, and once the bridge is level those two springs will be providing the exact same tension that the three springs were previously, because that's how much tension is required to balance a set of gauge 9 strings in standard tuning - you can't fight physics. Let's assume those strings are holding 9lbs of tension, for the bridge to be level you need 9lbs pulling the other way regardless of how you achieve it, it doesn't matter if there's 15 little springs in there or one big one, the effect it has on the bridge's movement will still be exactly the same. The only way you can lower the tension of the bridge is to lower whatever they have to balance with, namely the tension in the strings - so if you tune down that will lower the bridge tension, but obviously string tension will likewise be reduced.

If it was a vintage trem or a non-recessed Floyd then yes, you can play around with spring tension because it doesn't need to balance anything, the bridge stops moving when it hits the body.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 12, 2009,