Page 1 of 2
I am looking into buying a half stack. I play metal like Death, Necrophagist, Behemoth, DevilDriver, Slayer, etc. I am looking for a good distorted tone for metal and also an acceptable clean channel.
Check out Kranks, ENGLs, Randalls and the like. Pretty much just the bog-standard metal amps.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
I hear Peaveys are good, thats likely what I'm gonna do the most research on when I look into getting a new rig

Avoid Marshalls, they are better for clean tones
^thats probably sarcasm^

Quote by kpatterson14206
Death Metal bands are very simple, little to no vocal schemes, just normal, mono-tone, monotonous growling and an assload of breakdowns.
Budget would help. For all we know you could be set to go buy a Riviera or Diezel.
I'd recommend a Peavey 5150/6505. Cleans aren't bad, very Threat Signal-like clean tone
ohai little sig.
well i have a a small- medium budget. I can't afford a krankenstein or a triple rectifier or the like. I have a marshall MG and it SUCKS. I will check out Randall and the like
they have the marshall dsl 100 on sale like 60% off 1300$
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Try a 2x12 combo. 5150, JSX, 6505, etc. Honestly if you can find one used you might want to go for a Line 6 Vetta II. They're great amps.
the Marshall JVM is pretty sick. Carvin V3 is amazing... it's on sale now:

DIRECT: $1,449.00
SALE: $1,349.00

that's for the head & cab. that's just how much a Marshall head costs alone!
Quote by ThinkThis
the Marshall JVM is pretty sick. Carvin V3 is amazing... it's on sale now:

DIRECT: $1,449.00
SALE: $1,349.00

that's for the head & cab. that's just how much a Marshall head costs alone!

lol sale price is 1349
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Killcount
I hear Peaveys are good, thats likely what I'm gonna do the most research on when I look into getting a new rig

I am baffled by that last statement.
Marshalls are good for generic overdrive tones and i actually prefer their cleans to fender cleans which are really popular. but they cost roughly 1000pounds more than they're worth - even the MGs which are under 1000.

Check out ENGLs if you can afford them, i've seen a Savage 60 head on eBay for 300quid once!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
I'm baffled because they're not good for anything.

Uh. Pretty much the entire american death metal scene pre-1995 or so disagrees with you. Not to mention the ones still using them today, ever heard of these guys, Morbid Angel?
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
I'm baffled because they're not good for anything.

Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Just because great artists use them, that doesn't necessarily mean they have an exceptional tone. To get a good distortion with a Marshall means spending more on accessory equipment than on the amp itself. And the cleans, well if you were to go with clean there are other amps that could fulfill that, at a lower price.
Oh no, I have to stick a TS-808 in front of it. Just like most people have to stick in front of a dual recto anyway. Shit. This cost me half the price of a mesa rig, what a rip-off!
a boosted jcm 800 will have a different metal tone than an el34 using ENGL for instance. the ENGL will also generally cost more than the JCM and the overdrive. Both have good tones. ..and how does spending a hundred dollars or so on a good overdrive cost more than a marshall itself....
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
For the average price of a fair Marshall amp, you could probably get a good Line 6 Valve amp with tone that doesn't sound like nails against a chalkboard.

Shame about those spider valve amps being a gigantic toneless gimmick to pull in the crowds then.
for the price of a marshall you could get a 6501+
^thats probably sarcasm^

Quote by kpatterson14206
Death Metal bands are very simple, little to no vocal schemes, just normal, mono-tone, monotonous growling and an assload of breakdowns.
Oh there are better heads for less for sure... 5150's etc I understand that concept full well, hence why i bought one...
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Eh. The Valves are good but I'm not much for the tube amps anyways. I personally like the Line 6 Spider 3's. The 150 HD head combined with a Marshall cab would be a deadly combo.

I'm not sre what to say about this...

I've only ever had Solid State amps, and I can't stand the tone. I just can't get it right. I can get something close to what I like, but it's way too thin, cold and lifeless.

I want me some valves.
I hated my tone on my peavey bandit, but when i upgraded to the 5150 it was a world of difference (even at low volume) ... once i got it dialed in and got an attenuator it started to get amazing....
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Get a Marshall MG.

The overdrive is crushing.

I had a friend that had that half-stack. I wanted to throw it out a window whenever I heard it.

I'm an Engl and Randall (older models) fan. Though if you're on a budget I suggest checking out the cheap Kustom half-stack. I've got the combo version of it and to be honest, if a good quality distortion pedal is kicked in front of it (aka not a Metal Zone or something like that) it does the job.
Last edited by undead_bunny at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Eh. The Valves are good but I'm not much for the tube amps anyways. I personally like the Line 6 Spider 3's. The 150 HD head combined with a Marshall cab would be a deadly combo.

Dear god, why not at least play a decent line 6. A spider 3, better than most tube amps? Jesus.
Quote by Killcount

You don't necessarily have to avoid Marshalls.

Euronymous (of Mayhem) played through a Marshall.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
I'd go with the Peavey 6505+. It's got ridiculous amounts of gain and it's not too expensive for such a great head (about $1100).
Quote by The Kreator
Is that why his tone sucked so bad?

"Oh, it's just you." - Famous Last Words
Page 1 of 2