I've recently decided to get a Peavey Vypyr 75 watt amp, and am now looking for a guitar to go with it. I play metal, and I'm also left-handed, and I couldn't decide between a Schecter or Jackson.

The three guitars left:

Jackson DK2L
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1

I'm also trying to decide if I do go for one of the schecters, should I upgrade to FR?

Any opinions or knowledge will be appreciated
Only go FR if you really need it. If you don't use a tremolo bar much, don't get the FR. Its not worth the trouble.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I have the hellraiser C-1 fr and I love it. The active pick-ups are powerful aswell as being coil tapped for the extra versatility.
Id say go with Schecter, but i prefer EMGS over Seymour Duncans so id pick anything with an EMG over SD's. Dont get a FR unless your gonna use it, its too stressfull to take care of if you dont use it.
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser with a floyd (If you really want it)
It's definitely the best of the three
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
if you like playing sitting down, itd be difficult with the V
and schecters generally dont fail ever
Quote by imdeth
The only grinding i want to do is to Napalm Death.
Quote by the humanity
you get humanitarian of the day award.
Trust me, if you want a Guitar for Metal, Go with either Dean or Schecter. Personally, I have a Schecter C-1 Classic and a Schecter C-1 FR and they are very versatile. I play everything from Jazz to Funk to Metal to Grindcore, and I always use my C-1 Classic, it sounds great for everything. My C-1 FR is very touchy though, constant mood swings.
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Classic
Schecter C1-FR
Dean DW8 Backwoods 6-String Banjitar
Esteban Midnight Legacy [Its now a Fretless]
Luna Muse 12-String
Takamine Jasmine

Bass:
Dean Playmate

Amps:
Roland Cube 20-x
Traynor DynaGain 30R
Traynor Custom Valve 80
have you tried either? the schecter neck is much different from the jackson neck. do you prefer the thin narrow one of the jackson, or kinda fat and wide one from the scecter?

if you plan on using differnt tunings alot do not get a floyd. especially if you switch between e standard and drop d a lot.

i'd say jackson, but i play one and didnt like the c1 so im kinda biased.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
Oh and as a Word of Advice, the V shapes are a pain in the ass. Don't get one. You need Wall Hangs or special Floor stands, to put them down.
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Classic
Schecter C1-FR
Dean DW8 Backwoods 6-String Banjitar
Esteban Midnight Legacy [Its now a Fretless]
Luna Muse 12-String
Takamine Jasmine

Bass:
Dean Playmate

Amps:
Roland Cube 20-x
Traynor DynaGain 30R
Traynor Custom Valve 80
I Traded for a C-1 and hated the neck............I Own a DKMG overall IMO Jackson makes a better Guitar.
Ok, first let me explain the whole Schecter neck thing. When people say "Schecter necks are way too thick" they're generalizing. Thats like saying "All Ibanez necks are all way too thin". A Hellraiser neck is thick, but a Classic neck is much much thinner so keep that in mind.

Second, what kind of pickups do you really want? Alot of people think they need active EMGs to play metal but you don't. I play very clean stuff to Death metal through a coil split SD JB/'59 set and considering my gear it sounds amazing.

I had a chance to get a Hellraiser V but decided to get a C-1 Classic instead. I like the thinner neck and the pickups suprised me with their versatility. Im also almost certain there are left handed models as well.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
They're very different metal guitars. I personally like Jackson better, but I'd say try all 3 because it's all personal preference since you're bound to get a good deal.

I'd say you should be open to other companies like Ibanez and ESP.
Jackson. The DK2 is an amazing guitar.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Its all about Jackson man...also +1 to the guy who suggested Ibanez and ESP-
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by UltraVai445
Oh and as a Word of Advice, the V shapes are a pain in the ass. Don't get one. You need Wall Hangs or special Floor stands, to put them down.

+1
They're allg good but i'd go for the schecter if i were you. Actives> passives.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
OFR's are not a pain in the @ss if you know what you are doing and get used to them. And as said a JB is a fine pup for metal. Not sure why everyone says active EMG's are better. They sound to sterile to me personally.

EDIT: I'd also go for a Jackson, Charvel, ESP, maybe even an Ibanez over the Schecter.
Last edited by halo71 at Aug 13, 2009,
(EMG's) They sound too sterile to me personally.

He does have a point, JB's when EQ'd right sound so crunchy and delicious, they have alot of personality for metal
Schecter.
But instead of the Hellraiser, look at the C-1 Blackjack ATX. It's even better
i'd say you cant go wrong with jackson or schecter. I currently play schecters and had a jackson dk2s that i miss horribly...the jackson dk2s is the only guitar that equaled the schecters in terms of heaviness in my opinion....and i'd listen to aditya the blackouts in the atx models are vicious
schecters are amazing, i would go with one of the schecters
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
You can get Jacksons with actives you know...

All depends on the neck I like my Jackson
Try it out.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Jacksons play more like Fender guitars. Schecters play more like Les Pauls. That should help you narrow it down some. If you play speed metal, Iron Maiden, etc, I'd get the Jackson. If you're playing Mastodon, Sabbath, or the like, get the Schecter.

Personally I prefer Jackson, but I also own a Les Paul, so I've got 'heavy' covered pretty well already. If it was going to be my only electric, I'd get a C-1 or something from the Classic series, since they sound a little thicker to my ear than most Jacksons.

And a word on active vs. passive pickups: they sound different. Actives are higher output (even clean), and have a fuller dynamic range. Some people feel this makes them sound sterile. I like active pickups on anything with a floating trem (to make up from the thinner sound the trem causes), and passive pickups otherwise. I find that a good high-output passive pickup has more grunt and spunk, at least to my ears. They also sound more 'correct' with the Sabbath and Soundgarden I play.
Quote by Aditya_ram
Schecter.
But instead of the Hellraiser, look at the C-1 Blackjack ATX. It's even better

THIS!
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
If you like fr why don't you try the schecter c-1 fr.

Its got duncan designed actives and the floyd rose. I'VE never tried it but it looks good. and sounds pretty good. there is vid on youtube
^
That is a dumb suggestion. Why would he buy a guitar with a Licensed floyd and Duncan Designed actives when he could buy the Blackjack ATX with an OFR and Seymour Duncan Blackouts ?
Btw, have you already started playing lefty style guitars? If you haven't started learning yet and you are left handed I would recommend you just play right handed guitars, there's no need for lefty style guitars, you start at square one either way.

And go a Jackson DK over schecter IMO. You really wont be disappointed either way though.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by Aditya_ram
^
That is a dumb suggestion. Why would he buy a guitar with a Licensed floyd and Duncan Designed actives when he could buy the Blackjack ATX with an OFR and Seymour Duncan Blackouts ?

cause its cheaper and didn't know his price range was around 700 800
Thanks for the input guys. Btw James, I have been playing for a year, so I really don't think
switching is much of an option. The feedback seems to be about 50/50 for the DK2l and the C-1. I don't really need FR as I'm not playing gigs or anything and don't need to cover songs and make them sound 100% like the original. It may be hard to try out the guitars though because there's not many music stores out my way, and most of them are small businesses that carry like 5 brand names. So finding 2 specific models, and in lefty, may prove difficult.